Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Developing proxy

Options
  • 22-11-2004 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭

As a fourth- year project i am considering writing a proxy in C that would automatically block cookies and pop-ups as well as other stuff.I was wondering if anyone has any experience of this and how feasible and hard it would be?
    Any advice gratefully received

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

I think it would be a lot easier to do in perl rather than C

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

Why do you say that? You should really back up a statement like that with facts.
    Maybe because Perl has better text-handling than C?
    Maybe because Perl has CPAN?
    Maybe because you know more Perl than C?

To be honest you could write it in any language just as easily as the next ( even VB :P ) Whichever language you're most familiar with would be the best option.

Anyways, lookup code for HTTP servers in C. Try www.koders.com
    It should be quite easy to strip cookies from the responses but I'm not so sure about blocking pop-ups. It would be best to do that on the client side (i.e. the browser)

You could block ads by reading a list of blocked domains from a config file. Then block content/images from those domains.

Proxies are fairly easy to be honest, would it be enough for a FYP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Enygma wrote:
    Proxies are fairly easy to be honest, would it be enough for a FYP?
    Depends on what type of filtering takes place. Certainly something that simply strips out cookies or the like is hardly going to be a major undertaking (most experienced developers could probably knock one of those up in a few hours), however if it did something more interesting it might be worth the effort.

Try this: write a WAP gateway from scratch. WML only is easy enough.

Enygma wrote:
    Why do you say that? You should really back up a statement like that with facts.
    Maybe because Perl has better text-handling than C?
    Maybe because Perl has CPAN?
    Maybe because you know more Perl than C?

To be honest you could write it in any language just as easily as the next ( even VB :P ) Whichever language you're most familiar with would be the best option.

All I was trying to do by saying perl would be a better choice is, to try and make the guy more open minded about the language he chooses, its a poor idea to chose a language at the very start of a very vague spec(he hasn’t even done research yet). And the statement you made saying "you could write it in any language just as easily as the next ( even VB :P )" is definitely NOT true, Example, try writing it in Asm8086 and then in Perl then see if you statement holds true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

Don't you think it's an even poorer idea to choose the language based on what some guy says on a forum without giving any good reasons?
    Example, try writing it in Asm8086 and then in Perl then see if you statement holds true.
    You're being a bit pedantic here really don't you think? ASM doesn't suit the problem space, you might as well say "try writing it in French". It was assumed we were talking about higher level languages. You made that assumption yourself by suggesting Perl.

Anyway, I wasn't try to get at you or anything, it's just bad form to suggest a language without giving any good reasons (which you still haven't provided btw)

• Advertisement

Enygma wrote:
    Don't you think it's an even poorer idea to choose the language based on what some guy says on a forum without giving any good reasons?

You're being a bit pedantic here really don't you think? ASM doesn't suit the problem space, you might as well say "try writing it in French". It was assumed we were talking about higher level languages. You made that assumption yourself by suggesting Perl.

Anyway, I wasn't try to get at you or anything, it's just bad form to suggest a language without giving any good reasons (which you still haven't provided btw)

Your missing my point, At this stage Language is not important, thats what i was trying to get accross. the guy suggested C without even a basic spec, i was simple tyring to suggest he concider other options thats all.

Advertisement