Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wednesday Tournament in the Fitz

Options
  • 22-11-2004 5:42pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anybody played in this...?I am just looking for info like standard and how many enter as I won a ticket into this in the freeroll on Saturday (I came 5th).

Thanks
    Paul

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Avewrage quality before the freeze-out. Normally gets 50 bodies and most of the regulars play. In fact I would say it and the Sunday tournament are the most poplular.

Standard is better after the top-up period

Hyzepher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭BigDragon

Its a good standard. Ive been on final table twice out of four goes. A few of the boards guys have gotten to final table on a Wednesday. The standard would not be as high as a Friday but still good enough to challenge some players. Definately not the crapshoot Thurs can sometimes be. Good luck. I might give it go this week as well to sharpen up ;) for Thurs big'un.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Its the step most of us took after the freeroll on a thursday. If you've played the monday €100 or friday €50+€50 then the blinds in the €20 game (thurs or sunday) seem like a bit of a crapshoot, but its nice if you can get away with spending €43 (entry and top-up).

Play nice and tight, there's plenty of gamblers who will spend €80 before the break.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

Its not a bad old tourney, possible to win over a grand for a €40 entry which isn't too bad! I havn't played it in ages but might try pop in this week.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

lafortezza wrote:

Play nice and tight, there's plenty of gamblers who will spend €80 before the break.

Good advice thanks.Another question....I have only played the freeroll on a Saturday is there much of a differnce between the freerolls on Thursday,Saturday and Sunday...?I would think the Sunday/Thursday one would be of a higher standard as its for a ticket to the big 250 game.

• Advertisement

Dub13 wrote:
    Good advice thanks.Another question....I have only played the freeroll on a Saturday is there much of a differnce between the freerolls on Thursday,Saturday and Sunday...?I would think the Sunday/Thursday one would be of a higher standard as its for a ticket to the big 250 game.
    The standard is alot higher than the average group of players playing the freeroll.
    Compared to the freeroll you have to think about your kicker a bit more. You also need to try figure out what type of player you're involved in a pot with. The older female players tend to be tight players, you need to tighten up on your starting hands especially if you want to avoid spending all your rebuys.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

the standard of the Sunday freeroll tends to be a bit higher then the Thursday one and it has fewer goons to out draw you, on the other hand its generally played by regulars waiting for the 20-in at 9 on the sunday (the FR starts at 6:15).

The 20-in is a nice tournie, I like it but since its 83 max spend you need to be in a position to drop 100 a week on poker if you are going to play it regularly. Remember it has 50 runners so statistically you will win one week in the year and get into the money about 3-4 times that year. The stats wont stand up either as I see a lot of the same faces at the final table and there are some I dont think I've ever seen there (or heard of them having won...)
    If you view it as 40-80 quid spent on a fun night out its a better way to look at it because scared-money is dead money in general.

DeV.

Thanks for the help Lads.

Just checking that this does start at 9 right...?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Yeah best to be in there for 9 even though it may start a bit later than that. By the way there is nothing to compare to the standard of thursdays freeroll. I went in recently after skipping it for a long time. I was wondering if it could possibly be as bad as the last time I played and sure enough it was even worse.
    One guy gave out to our table for taking his SB while he was in the toilet. "ye's Bollixes"
    Overall it's cheap fun so I won't knock it completely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭JuliusFranco

best of luck Dub13, let us know how you get on!

• Advertisement

best of luck Dub13, let us know how you get on!

I will do,I have only played a few freerolls so this should be a bit of a step up.I am only going in because I got a ticket on Saturday.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

How did you get on? I couldnt make it in last night, had a ton of things to sort out for the IIA award thing tonight. Pity, I was looking forward to slaggin' Joe :)

DeV.

I did not do to bad...(in my eyes anyway),I got knocked out around midnight in about 34th position I am not sure how many started but their was a few tables going and a few upstairs.3 of us went all in me with top pair As and three 5 won it :eek: so he knocked 2 of us out,not sure of his name he was a middle aged chap from Kurdistan (i think).I lost a lot of chips about 30min before I got knocked out by betting big with A K I tried to steel the blinds but got one caller who had a pair of 6...I got nothing on the board so lost big time and if it was not for this hand I would have done much better,but thats like saying if my granny had balls she would be my granda.

As for the standard,well I found it a step up with the players giving each other alot more respect than in the freerolls maybe thats because of the lack of Newbies.For some strange reason I found it cheaper to see a flop than in the freeroll..!not sure why this is maybe people are weary of being trapped.I played tight at the start and caught a few people out trying to scare me off hands... :D I think they were testing me to see how I play me being a novice.

So over all I had a good night by my standards,the thing I am happy about is every time I go into the club I seem to learn alot and most importantly I am progressing well.So again you guys are stuck with me :D

Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭dirkey_wynne

Nice work Dub. Went out around that stage myself last night. Barely saw a hand all night. Good to see you're enjoying it. And as you say - we're all learning each time we go in there! Well if I didn't learn something each time I'd be disgusted with myself!

Nice work Dub. Good to see you're enjoying it.

Thanks,the more I go in the more hooked I am getting :) .

Anybody Know
    How many entered...?and who won...?also what time was it over at...?

Dub13 wrote:
    but thats like saying if my granny had balls she would be my granda.

Paul
    class... :)

Dirkey has recently been learning not to play AQ eh? ;)

The 20-in is a step up alright and the reason you see flops cheaper is that people dont go all in on any two cards that look purtttty...

Later in the night there is a lot more "All-in or Fold" play, when it turns into the infamous 20-in Lottery.

DeV.

DeVore wrote:
    Dirkey has recently been learning not to play AQ eh? ;)
    DeV.
    Speaking of which - waiting last night for ages for a hand! Look down to see the aforementioned AQ. Guy opposite me raises - a hefty raise, iirc it was 1000 with blinds at 50-100 (perhaps BigDragon who was two to my right could confirm.) I folded, as I knew Eric (gamble gamble) who was to act after me was getting ready to call. I showed my hand to BigD and the lad directly beside me who had already folded. He thought I was mad. I'm not sure which of the two was all in, or exactly how it happened, but the cards were turned over. 33 v 44. Flop came Q high with nothing for the lads. I wasn't feeling great at this point. Turn was a 3. I was fncking delighted. I tell you I can't win with that hand, so I'm glad I dropped it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭BigDragon

Speaking of which - waiting last night for ages for a hand! Look down to see the aforementioned AQ. Guy opposite me raises - a hefty raise, iirc it was 1000 with blinds at 50-100 (perhaps BigDragon who was two to my right could confirm.) I folded, as I knew Eric (gamble gamble) who was to act after me was getting ready to call. I showed my hand to BigD and the lad directly beside me who had already folded. He thought I was mad. I'm not sure which of the two was all in, or exactly how it happened, but the cards were turned over. 33 v 44. Flop came Q high with nothing for the lads. I wasn't feeling great at this point. Turn was a 3. I was fncking delighted. I tell you I can't win with that hand, so I'm glad I dropped it!!

AQ - radioactive hand (powerful but deadly in the wrong place)

Eric with 44 raised 700, then the other guy went all in and Eric called.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭biteme

Dub13 wrote:
    Nice work Dub. Good to see you're enjoying it.

Thanks,the more I go in the more hooked I am getting :) .

Anybody Know
    How many entered...?and who won...?also what time was it over at...?

not sure of the total number entered.. top 8 got paid , 9th got the bubble.

Hussain won it in the end.

• Advertisement

BigDragon wrote:
    AQ - radioactive hand (powerful but deadly in the wrong place)

Eric with 44 raised 700, then the other guy went all in and Eric called.
    Ah yes. That was it. Have the bets mixed up with a different hand. Horrible hand. AQ that is.

Advertisement