Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XDA questions

Options
  • 22-11-2004 5:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Hi all,

I'm in the market for a Palm PC and got the chance to use an XDA-II over the weekend. I'm currently on Vodafone PAYG.

If I buy an XDA online without a SIM is it possible to use an XDA on the Vodafone network, or must it be on the O2 network ?

If so, can I use a PAYG SIM ? (ie: port my number from VF to O2)

Cheers,

Febreze :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

if you get a SIM Free one you should be able to use it on Vodafone - I use the non-operator i-Mate version of the XDA II device on Vodafone from time to time (but mostly on O2)

Vodafone only provide GPRS Internet/ISP to contract customers (not Ready To Go) - but even so pre-pay GPRS with one of these devices won't be cheap if you make much use of it - about 3c per KB on O2 pre-pay

perhaps hold out for this i-Mate JAM model that is due out shortly - but it's not going to be cheap - smaller form factor with a similar/improved spec

O2 are supposed to be bringing out two new XDA devices - but no confirmed O2 IRL dates or pricing etc...

BrianG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 febreze

I wouldn't really be using it for net access, just as a palm PC (Excel, Word, PDF reader etc.) It's make sense to get an XDA instead of a palm PC and a chunky camera phone (currently have Nokia 3650).

I only want to make sure that a VF sim would be accepted and it would function as a mobile (for calls, SMS ans MMS).

XDAs (Pocket PC Phone Edition) supplied by O2 are usually locked to their network (and come with a customised interface), if so you would have to get it unlocked to accept another operator's SIM card

the XDA devices can be 'tweaked', at your own risk, in various ways discussed at sites like www.xda-developers.com

alternatively you can get a SIM-Free version of the device from the likes of i-Mate or Qtek (they are all manufactured by the same company, HTC, and just branded and sold/provided by various companies), which are not locked to an operator and don't come with any operator branding / interface

BrianG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭wolfman

Hi febreze
    I posted here a few months ago when I got my XDA2 just to say I got one for my girlfriend (wife now!), but she was NOT into it at all, so about a month ago I dealt with a guy here on Boards and got rid of my XDA2 for a 6260 for her.

Anyway, I have an XDA2, brand new in the box, never even opened, if you are interested. I can also supply the details to you for unlocking it as I unlocked my own and its very simple.

I havent posted it in the Mobiles For Sale section as I was half thinking of using it myself or preferably finding somebody who is specifically looking for one, so if it's of any interest, let me know. If not, no harm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 febreze

Nice one wolfman. Chek your PM :)

Cheers for the details on the Qtek DW. Good to see there's options.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭wolfman

Reply sent back by PM.

Brian....as a matter of interest, have you ever tried a Wifi card in your i-mate? If so, what brand and how did it work for you? I used to use a Sandisk one and some people seem to have some problems with it but it always worked fine for me.

didn't get one in the end - initially was waiting for a card with drivers for both Palm and Pocket PC, when that didn't happen - decided to hand on for the Sandisk WiFi + 256 MB SDIO card to appear, but then it turned out not to be compatible with the device!

at this stage just waiting to see if i'll upgrade to the new model (e.g. i-Mate PDA2K with integrated WiFi) or the other smaller device (e.g. i-Mate JAM) which hasn't been distributed yet so not enough info what WiFI SDIO cards are compatible with it so far...

Advertisement