Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Monaco v Liverpool Tuesday.

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

roll on uefa cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

As mentioed above a 1-0 win for Liverpool will be enough to see them through, as they will be level with Olympiakos on points and aggregate, but will have a better group goal difference.

However if Liverpool win 2-1 (or 3-2, 4-3, 5-4), then the position they finish up will depend enitrely on how Monaco do away to Deportivo:
    - Monaco win = Liverpool finish 3rd
    - Monaco lose = Liverpool finish 2nd
    - Monaco draw = Liverpool finish 1st!

(in the last instance the 3 teams would be level on 10 points, so only results involving those teams would count, in which case Liverpool would be 1st and Monaco 3rd.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

smemon wrote:

liverpool are getting are too much like spurs imo.

now i have said this in the past and been boo'd off stage, because liverpool supporters still believe they deserve to be 4th in the league, the think they deserve to be in the CL.

but they dont. they are appalling this year. they were appalling last year, there just happen to be a lot of other more appalling clubs in the league last year :)

but, keep chin up. pool can still get through if they have a bit of belief in themselves, but its just time to face the fact that pool are not a top club in england, let alone europe. p[ool are just above mid table medicroty, and being a spurs supporter, i know all about that position :)

but its good to support a club.
    /me shrugs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

say it ain't so WWM, say it ain't so :'(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

now i have said this in the past and been boo'd off stage, because liverpool supporters still believe they deserve to be 4th in the league, the think they deserve to be in the CL.

but they dont. they are appalling this year. they were appalling last year, there just happen to be a lot of other more appalling clubs in the league last year :)

but, keep chin up. pool can still get through if they have a bit of belief in themselves, but its just time to face the fact that pool are not a top club in england, let alone europe. p[ool are just above mid table medicroty, and being a spurs supporter, i know all about that position :)

but its good to support a club.
    /me shrugs
    Now this is total crap. Whether they were appaling or not last year, if the teams around them were worse, they deserved to be 4th in the league.

They are not a "top club in England"? Finishes of 4th, 5th, 2nd, 3rd, 4th would suggest (well prove actually) they are one of the top clubs in England. Are Chelsea a "top team"? Because in the last 5 years Liverpools finishes have been pretty much on a par with Chelseas. Only difference is that Liverpool have won more silverware.

And to be honest, they havnt done themselves too badly in the last 5 years in Europe. A UEFA cup win and quarter final, and a champions league quarter final where they were unlucky to go out is a bad return from a team "just above mid table medioctiry". ;)

Im not stupid though, Liverpool are currently streets behind Arsenal, United and Chelsea in terms of class and consistency, but they are still a good bit ahead of the Villas and Spurs' of this world.

This year in at least 3 or 4 of the 7 games that they have lost they have been hard done by by the ref (at a crucial time). Last night is no exception. But they are still on course to qualify for the next phase of the CL. They only have to give Olympiakos a good beating at home. Not too bad from a mid table team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Who boo'd you off? They were appaling last season along with a lot of other clubs. They certainly wouldn't have been good enough for fourth any other season.

We've a new manager and every right to feel hopeful - despite all the current injuries. Personally I think we were lucky to get 4th last season and could end being lucky to get it again this season. Rather then us booing people who have that attitude we get slapped in the face and reminded that Liverpool fans should be expecting first or second. That just ain't the case at the moment and thems the breaks. Still, better then Spurs ;) (I feel dirty having to go as far as Spurs to find a favourable comparison for Liverpool)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭Ardent

Liverpool are one of England's top clubs, they're just going through a transitional phase right now, trying to throw off the shackles of the latter stages of the Houllier era and re-structuring themselves financially.

I think you'll see Liverpool - after a few purchases by Benitez in the summer - back stronger than ever next season and pushing the likes of Arsenal and Chelsea. They have a manger with the pedigree to compete hard next season...when the playing staff has been sorted out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ardent wrote:
    I think you'll see Liverpool - after a few purchases by Benitez in the summer -

January surely?!

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭Ardent

I don't think he'll have much to spend in January, I can't see significant investment in the club happening before then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

They went through a French Transition for the years GH was in charge, you better hope the Spanish Transition go's well and starts quickly.

Liverpool are a massive club but when you sell a player of Owen's ability & his striking partner (Heskey) you have to bring in world class playerS, note the "S", bringing in Cisse to replace Heskey (yes Heskey not Owen) is well in good but you have to bring a Poven World Class player in also if you want Liverpool to start challenging at the top level.

I wonder what kind of fitness training is going on at Liverpool seeing Garcia pull his Hamstring and I think Baros also done his hamstring (correct me if I'm wrong) makes you wonder is the training set-up correct? Could just be bad luck but you have to wonder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

irish1 wrote:

I wonder what kind of fitness training is going on at Liverpool seeing Garcia pull his Hamstring and I think Baros also done his hamstring (correct me if I'm wrong) makes you wonder is the training set-up correct? Could just be bad luck but you have to wonder.
    That's an excellent point Irish1. I was just thking that myself last night when watching the highlights and seeing garcia pull up. It may be just coincidental bad luck but it could also be down to poor training or improper warm up routines.

Liverpool have a tough task to get through and all the injuries don't help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Deschamps had awkoledged the goal was via hand ball and Benitez is spitting feathers over the ref who was laughing at the Liverpool players protest.
    Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez was angry with referee Claus Bo Larsen after the damaging 1-0 defeat against Monaco in the Champions League.

They now need to beat Olympiacos at Anfield to reach the knockout phase, but Benitez claimed Javier Saviola handled before scoring the winner.

He said: "Everybody around the world could see it was a handball.

"The referee said to my players that he had seen it. But afterwards he was smiling and I do not know why."

Benitez said: "It was a bad game on a bad pitch and to lose to a handball makes things very difficult.

"The referee said the hand was close to the body, but everyone could see it was handball. When my staff went to see him afterwards to talk to him he was smiling, I do not understand that.

"When you see a referee in the right place and he still does not give the handball, and the linesman is also in the right spot and it is not given.

"I don't think we need video evidence but it is important to have a referee with a clear conscience.

"We have four referees now around the pitch, but somebody has to say something.

"When my players tried to talk to him afterwards he was just smiling at them, I just do not understand that."

Liverpool misery was increased with Luis Garcia ruled out for three weeks with a hamstring injury he sustained after only two minutes.

And defender Josemi was also taken off and required 20 stitches in a head wound suffered in an accidental collision with Patrice Evra.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

irish1 wrote:

Baros pulled his hammy while playing for Czech Republic.

To blame Liverpool training methods for the coincidence of Baros and Garcia pulling hamstrings would be very reactionary, and have very little basis.

And coincidences do happen - ask Baros, Carragher and Cisse about broken legs in Blackburn......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I wasn't blaiming just enquiring

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Reds eye Italian ace
    Liverpool are reported to have joined the chase to sign highly-rated Brescia striker Andrea Caracciolo.

Reports emanating from Italy claim that Liverpool have made an enquiry for the young forward as they look to bolster their attacking options.

A number of clubs have expressed an interest in the Italian Under-21 international with Milan, Juventus and Arsenal all believed to be keeping tabs on his progress.

Liverpool are now thought to be hoping to steal a march on their rivals with a concrete bid for Caracciolo.

The Anfield outfit are believed to be ready to offer El Hadji Diouf, who is currently on loan at Bolton, in part exchange for Caracciolo.

Brescia president Gino Corioni has already said that he does not want to let Caracciolo leave the club in January when the transfer window reopens, but the interest in the player is growing.

Caracciolo is earning rave reviews in Italy and he was called up to the full national team for the friendly with Finland earlier this month.

He is under contract at Brescia until 2008, but it appears Brescia could be forced to let him go should a sizeable offer come in due to their financial situation.

• Advertisement
Advertisement