Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Call or fold?

Options
  • 22-11-2004 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭

This happened to me in a recent tournament.

Final table, 4 left, I'm the short stack but with 70k.
    Blinds at 8/16K.
    Prize money is (sterling) approx 1)850 2)500 3)350 4)220.

I'm BB - UTG folds, Button (about 80k) raises to 24k, sb (cl with 180k) goes all in. I've got KK.

Call or fold?

I saw a previous discussion about folding KK and at the time thought a situation could never arise that would merit folding KK, but have now been persuaded! I called here and when the cards were turned was pretty happy to see button on AKo and cl on AQs, but with the usual accuracy of poker saw a flop of AQ*. Out in 4th a couple of seconds of dreaming of being new cl!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

I think you have to call here. You are the short stack so if the guy on the button folds then he becomes shortstack but you get to face the blinds before him to return you to shortstack status. Plus as you say you could be chip leader after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

Dont even consider folding

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I'd want my chips *back* so that I could go all in again!

If the button has any sense he'll fold anything but AK-QQ and even then I'd probably chuck AK, QQ in his situation.

SB is probably holding a pocket pair, possibly a decent one, or a strong Ace. Folding wouldnt cross my mind in that situation.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

You're a 68% favourite pre-flop...
    So you'll win this hand 2/3 of the time, which would put you in chip lead.

You have to play..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Rodge

This exact thing happened me last night except I was the one with the AQs. 3 players left, UTG raises, SB raises all in, BB(me) goes all in and UTG follows.
    AQs v KK v 66, flop of K24s giving me the flush and the board didnt pair.

At the time I felt that I shouldnt have called seeing as I was the chip leader and it was likely that I would have been heads up. Obviously it worked out well but should I have been in the hand?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

Rodge wrote:
    This exact thing happened me last night except I was the one with the AQs. 3 players left, UTG raises, SB raises all in, BB(me) goes all in and UTG follows.
    AQs v KK v 66, flop of K24s giving me the flush and the board didnt pair.

At the time I felt that I shouldnt have called seeing as I was the chip leader and it was likely that I would have been heads up. Obviously it worked out well but should I have been in the hand?

Well it depends on how the other players are playing up to that point, basically if they're playing tightly then I fold because of the reraise. Usually when theres a reraise its very unlikely that AQ is good. Being chip leader should make you slightly more likely to call, not the other way round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 zonemelt

Yep. Can't fold that. You're likely up against two aces of varying strengths (like you were) or a pocket pair and an ace, leaving one person drawing to 3 outs and one to 2 outs. Great situation. But you had it even better with one drawing to 2 outs and the other effectively dead!

The biggest hand you can consider folding here is QQ. You'd need a read to do that and be fairly sure that the SB was going to knock out the button.

Advertisement