Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats the best handgun

Options
  • 22-11-2004 11:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭

Just thought I'd throw it out for discussion, seeing as I'm hoping to purchase over the next couple of months - what do you reckon is the best handgun. I'm sure its a case of horses for courses. Obviously a competition shooter wouldn't necessarily choose the same gun as a police officer. I'm seriously considering a Beretta 92FS partly because I shot it in the US and it felt good and partly because it looks bloody excellent (see www.world.guns.ru). Was surfing various sites looking for comments and found some instances of the slide coming off and injuring the user but then found instances of the Glock 21 exploding in two cops hands from the same city in the US (as well as some other instances) resulting in the replacement of around 250 Glocks (every police gun in the city). Mind you I got the impression that in most or all explosions the shooter was using (probably incorrectly) reloaded ammo. Also, I think that police dept replaced them with another Glock model so it wasn't a vote of no confidence in all Glocks.

What do ye think.....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Bass.exe

I'm told that the Sig-Sauer P228 and 229 are favourites of the FBI.
    Can't really go wrong with a German weapon... especially when the Swiss helped with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Can't really say what the "best" one is without some idea of what you want to use it for, especially since a firearm's more a tool to do a job than anything else.

I can say though, that I'm seriously thinking about how to set aside the cash for something like an IZH-35M...

izh35m.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 GreenGun

As you say “Horses for courses” and this is very true for pistols.
    Sparkes suggestion is for an ISSF pistol while Bass.exe is looking at a PPC type gun.
    Unless you know what you want it for it’s very hard to advise. (I shoot both). :confused:

For ISSF I’d suggest Hammerli SP20 or Walter GSP (because you can change the top slide between .22 and .32).
    But you can’t use the .32 for PPC.
    If you don’t want to shoot both centerfire and rimfire or prefer a second gun for each I would also consider Pardini. :cool:

Don’t like Glocks. Not because I have any problem with there reliability they are extremely reliable. Just don’t like the trigger! But they are popular for PPC because of the trigger safty.

The Beretta 92 is a looker and has the prestige name but I would not buy a gun on that basis. (Who am I kidding!!!)

SigSauer was my first choice. That decision was based on reliability and trigger. And I am very happy with it on that basis. :D
    That said I would quite like the new Xfive but at around 2500 euro I’ll hold off just yet.
    If your in that market you may like to try a STI or a Les Baer custom!
    For PPC I would go with 9mm.

Don’t worry you won’t have to wait long for advise, in a few weeks there will be plenty of “experts” able to advise you. ;)

GreenGun.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭les45

Chip, we have a 92 in the club, bought brand new 2 years ago, it has not proved to be popular so much so we have sold it, a CZ 75, OR 85, or a High Power are a very good "starter " , gun accurate and reliable, Steve can organise demos of most models, at the moment I am shooting a Beretta 87 .22 ,great gun, great fun! and a 1911 again very accurate and great fun, good luck with the purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Gun Shy

Opinions welcomed on the following package

Sig Sauer P226 Xpress 9mm Champions Package (German price) of 1650 euro

http://www.triebel.de/suche2.php3?bes=sofort+lieferbar&artikelnr=249493&begriff=wgr&value=KP9

Sig Sauer P226 xpress gun only price 1490 euro (german Price)

http://www.triebel.de/suche2.php3?bes=sofort+lieferbar&artikelnr=238014&begriff=wgr&value=KP9

Dont know if the links will work but if you start from the homepage they offer an english translation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Horeb

I am looking at a CZ75 as they are similar to a Browning Hi Power.

But I shall hold off to see exactly what the score will be regarding the actual law and if it will be stablised or made illegal again.

But the CZ75 with the 19 Round magazine is a good all round robust pistol and I have use both it and a BAP and enjoyed using them both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Musashi

I'd like to get a Korth revolver with both cylinders just to be L33T, so there ;)

"Best" as in exotic a Dan Wesson Super Magnum or a .454 Casull single Action will fit the bill if u get elephant or Predators to kill.

For Cowboy Action Shootin I'd like a S&W Schofield revolver or a Ruger BlackHawk type weapon in .45 long Colt.

"Handgun" implies handheld, I'd sure like me an FN Minimi (aka SAW) with a Carbon Fibre wrapped match barrel by Shilen if your buying!

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Renegade_Archer

Im an ISSF shooter, but if I had to buy a "conventional" pistol, I think it would have to be the Desert Eagle, practicality be damned:
    http://www.magnumresearch.com/Expand.asp?ProductCode=DE50TG-TS

Regards

Ewan

Ewan, if you're getting one of those, get a helmet as well :p
    (There's been a case already this year of some poor kid in Canada who was killed when firing a heavy calibre pistol because the recoil was so bad he was struck in the head with the gun).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Zakalwe

They ( Desert Eagles in .50AE) are supposed to be hell to clean and keep operating reliably because of the design on the gas tubes. They're also unwieldy, prone to jamming and require expensive ammunition.

If we're talking large non-competition pistols, I'd love to try out a 1911. They're supposed to be reliable, practical and accurate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭les45

Zak , the desert eagles are big brutes, I have shot both the .357Mag and also the .44Mag, the .357 was not bad but the .44 was hard work!! after 7 rnds I had enough. The .45 1911 is by comparison a doddle, you can shoot it strong hand, weak hand, any of the better quality guns will easily shoot in to 50mm at 25 Mts, and ammo is well priced at around £8.oo a box.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Renegade_Archer

Sparks wrote:
    Ewan, if you're getting one of those, get a helmet as well :p
    (There's been a case already this year of some poor kid in Canada who was killed when firing a heavy calibre pistol because the recoil was so bad he was struck in the head with the gun).

Jeebus, never knew that - after a summer of shooting pellet pistols even the kick from a .22 competition pistol was quite noticeable, a Desert Eagle would probably knock me on my ass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭Irishglockfan

Zakalwe wrote:
    They ( Desert Eagles in .50AE) are supposed to be hell to clean and keep operating reliably because of the design on the gas tubes. They're also unwieldy, prone to jamming and require expensive ammunition.

You can get a 1911 design in 50AE.One is new design and custom prices the other is the LAR Grizzley,now not made anymore and in the 1.5 to 5K region

If we're talking large non-competition pistols, I'd love to try out a 1911. They're supposed to be reliable, practical and accurate.

Exellent gun, you can get them in any shape from Gi issue from china at about $300 to race gun at $8k

how about a pistolised AR15 or AK?a REAL BLAST to shoot,with more power going down range than a 44mag without its kick.
    Still like the S&W model 29 44mag

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

Just snooping around and came across this thread:cool:

Fired a H&K USP 9MM last week, thought it had a horrible trigger, didn't get on at all with the grip and the safety/decocking lever was a pain in the ass.
    Couldn't reach the mag release with my thumb either, had to use my forefinger and I have fairly big hands.

Fired a Glock 34 a while back, didn't like the trigger or the longer barrel.

Must say I'm glad I went with the Sig, fits me perfectly and the trigger is OK.
    May get some work done on it in the future if I'm allowed to hold onto it:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

les45 wrote: »
    Zak , the desert eagles are big brutes, I have shot both the .357Mag and also the .44Mag, the .357 was not bad but the .44 was hard work!! after 7 rnds I had enough. The .45 1911 is by comparison a doddle, you can shoot it strong hand, weak hand, any of the better quality guns will easily shoot in to 50mm at 25 Mts, and ammo is well priced at around £8.oo a box.

Had the same feeling les. It hurt to shoot. But was alot of fun :D had a big grin on me after it :D unlike dirty harry :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭ejg

I was invited to a "hausmesse" (exhibition) of Peters Stahl yesterday in northern Germany and flew over to have a look at things.
    Peters Stahl build one of the finest 1911 pistols and the same company also do tactical rifles SWS2000.
    I was very impressed with the targets shown shot with these 1911's, some seemed under an inch at 25m with 9mm or 45 cal.
    http://www.peters-stahl.com/
    I had a close look throughout their workshop, if you want something special, you could be right here. Good lads.

edi

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Lucky you to get to see some "made in Germany" 45's.
    However the way things is going.The "best pistol" here in Ireland will be the one you now own,if you do have one.:(

So asCol. Jeff Cooper said."if thats all you got.Use it and use it alot."

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭G17

No surprises here.

The best pistol, ever, no question, when you take everything into account, is a Glock 17.

Price, durability, ease of use, ease of upkeep, accuracy-(anyone got any questions on that, I'd be happy to give a demo, if I had a fiver for every time I heard, "those Glocks aren't very accurate", I'd have bought 4 more by now), more available accessories than Barbie, huge number of forums/books/DVDs available, it eats any factory ammo, the trigger is consistent (anyone who complains about the trigger, really needs to learn to shoot, I have no problems with 1911s, 75s, Sigs, Glocks), did I mention price, there's no better feeling than whooping a smarmy SVI owner and arriving to the competition with a gun, ammo, accessories, lunch and car that all cost less cumulatively than his firearm alone............

All this before I even think about reasons to have one in a country where you can have a firearm for anything other than target practice.

I really could go on but I won't, mods can you close this thread, there's nothing more to be said on this matter.:D

G17 wrote: »
    The best pistol, ever, no question, when you take everything into account, is a Glock 17.
    No, no, no.

Glock 46M. Far better.

DSC00743b.JPG

Just thinking. Sparks that pistol is in .177. The only mention in the new law is .22 pistols. So what will happen to .177 air pistols?

• Advertisement

Sparks wrote: »
    No, no, no.

Glock 46M. Far better.

I have an application for an IZH going in tomorrow (no,really), memo to self, don't mix them up!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3 jonmiranda

if you are looking for a easy to handle and less recoil handgun beretta 92fs is your gun , for an added kick try a 40 cal pistol . but for some serious shooting 45cal is the best to shoot. with real stopping power.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

chem wrote: »
    Just thinking. Sparks that pistol is in .177. The only mention in the new law is .22 pistols. So what will happen to .177 air pistols?
    The law doesn't mention .22 pistols, it mentions olympic pistols as specified in the Restricted List SI, which includes both .22 and .177 air pistols.

jonmiranda wrote: »
    for some serious shooting 45cal is the best to shoot. with real stopping power.
    Really? I find my .177 air pistol is well able to stop a paper target. Even a wooden one (happily punching holes in 5-ply plywood at 25 yards). And I can even knock over the smaller biathlon-type steel targets with it. So what more stopping power could you need with a pistol in Ireland?

murph226 wrote: »

Cough, tumble weed rolls by......:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Originally posted by jonmiranda

but for some serious shooting 45cal is the best to shoot. with real stopping power.

What...the....hell.....! Stopping power for what.

Don't go for all this lark about "the best handgun". Its down to individual taste and preference. Don't like the feel of the Glock and the Beretta 92fs is a great fun for all gun but not for target work. I settled on the Sig 226 for feel, performance and looks. Will give you one thing though they are on the expensive side. The gun can easily out shoot me but in the hands of someone more experienced i saw what it was capable of. Impressive. Even the lad shooting it said it was a nicer shot than his Glock. Make up your own mind. Pick what gun suits you best.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Isn't it all about personal preference? I want to get a replica 1858 Remington solid frame when BP rules are cleared up.
    A precision .22 shooter would have no use for one and a practical shooter wouldn't look sideways at it.

kowloon wrote: »
    Isn't it all about personal preference? I want to get a replica 1858 Remington solid frame when BP rules are cleared up.
    A precision .22 shooter would have no use for one and a practical shooter wouldn't look sideways at it.

BP pistol shooting in the north if your interested kowloon? I was at a range yesterday shooting some pistols and a guy came in with a colt navy percussion cap revolver. It was .44 cal and good fun to shoot. Used pyrodex, so the range was not covered in a fog;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

chem wrote: »
    BP pistol shooting in the north if your interested kowloon? I was at a range yesterday shooting some pistols and a guy came in with a colt navy percussion cap revolver. It was .44 cal and good fun to shoot. Used pyrodex, so the range was not covered in a fog;)

I am 100% up for that. Where up north do you shoot?

Advertisement