Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurogamer's NFSU2 review...

Options
  • 22-11-2004 11:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭

... is the worst EG review i've read to date.
    http://eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=57234

first of all. for someone who claims to have played the first game in depth, Kristian seems to be making an awful lot of crap up about it...
    As before, you soon catch the eagle eyes of sponsors, and soon you'll be raking in more cash, on the proviso you fulfil the terms of their contract
    Drag has been bizarrely made less interactive than before, giving the player only the task of gear shifting and changing lanes, with actual steering AI controlled for reasons not fully apparent to us.
    and the points on cheating ai... did he ever think of upgrading the performance of his car?
    i've managed a few 10-20 second lead victories today alone.

although i have yet to finish the game, that seems to be an unfair score (especially seeing as you can usually knock 1 mark off of EG's over-generous ratings...)
    more deserving of 7-8 tbh

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

it's not a great game in all fairness. its just driving and doin your car up until you cant be beaten. burnout 3 is the most fun racing gae out there imo. i mean come on when you crash head on in nfsu2 the camera changes angle and shows you the crash but its shat without any damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

wrote:
    Drag has been bizarrely made less interactive than before, giving the player only the task of gear shifting and changing lanes, with actual steering AI controlled for reasons not fully apparent to us.

wasnt the last game exactly the same?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

thats my point, wee.
    he's making crap up!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Who cares when you can get the vastly superior Burnout 3 and Outrun 2. The scores says to me that it has been outclassed in every way by better games and therefore undeserving of your money.

However the last few paragraphs of the review seem to suggest kirstan doesn't like it because it is mainstream.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

GTR all the way ,nothing else matters:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

I've played it, it's not the greatest. To be honest racing almost feels like a chore to unlock new parts to bolt onto your car. The car customisation is brilliant, but once you've done all that it doesn't seem worth it when your creation is so boring to drive. It's not on the same level as Burnout 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭moridin

evad_lhorg wrote:
    it's not a great game in all fairness. its just driving and doin your car up until you cant be beaten. burnout 3 is the most fun racing gae out there imo. i mean come on when you crash head on in nfsu2 the camera changes angle and shows you the crash but its shat without any damage.

Burnout 3 is a fantastic game, except the problem with it that I've found is that you can be "16 seconds ahead" of the next car, and then 5 seconds later get passed out. Now that's dodgy AI. Plus in some of the races no matter how fast you go it's impossible to catch the leader - even with a very very fast car and unlimited boost he keeps pulling away at times, which is really ****ing annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

i kinda like nfsu2 cept I really REALLY (insert bigger letters here) hate the american boyracer speak... Things like "drive savage yo" and so on just completely wreck my head and make me wanna punch the screen. Apart from that the game is too easy. Havent lost a single race yet.

moridin wrote:
    Burnout 3 is a fantastic game, except the problem with it that I've found is that you can be "16 seconds ahead" of the next car, and then 5 seconds later get passed out. Now that's dodgy AI. Plus in some of the races no matter how fast you go it's impossible to catch the leader - even with a very very fast car and unlimited boost he keeps pulling away at times, which is really ****ing annoying.

That's true once you get into the second half of the game. I won every single race in NFSU2 and just stopped playing when halfway through. In Burnout 3 I still haven't won every race and its still a challenge and fun every time I play it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Loobz

While on the subject of car games, whats "Flatout" like for the Xbox? Has anyone played it? ?I hear the physics are good? Screenshots look nice, but cant judge a game form that.

• Advertisement

Loobz wrote:
    While on the subject of car games, whats "Flatout" like for the Xbox? Has anyone played it? ?I hear the physics are good? Screenshots look nice, but cant judge a game form that.

I've played the PC version. Physics are amazing for the original wow factor. You can and will spend many many races just crashing into things and seeing what happens. Once you get over that the races aren't all that great though, I'm not a fan of big slidey muscle cars on dusty surfaces. I've spent far more time on the *special* stages like the high jump, long jump, darts, bowling, various things which involve sending your driver flying through the front window towards a target of some kind. It's always fun for a quick spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I'm finished 50% of the game according to the stats (I've probably won over 100 races). It's nice looking and the cars are fun. The sound effects and music are excellent. However, the game is very repetitive, and the AI catchup is very VERY annoying. I should check to see if there is an option to turn it off!

It's probably on it's way to a Praetorian rating of 7/10

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Loobz wrote:

From what I've heard the xbox version is dissapointing compared to the PC version. Shame :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Am I the only one that prefers burnout 2 to 3 ? I just ahte the radio and think they overdone the crashes in the 3rd one. I dont like the aftertouch either...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

I rather play B2 over B3 anyday, it has a much more refined feel.

Advertisement