Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Another sh*te performance from Spurs...

• 23-11-2004 12:47am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭

Why do I bother?

With the exception of a ten minute period at the start of the 2nd half, Spurs were outclassed (not that that would be hard to achieve) by Villa tonight.

Not one player seemed upset when we conceeded the goal, not f*cking one! Timothee Atouba would look bad playing for Dublin City, never mind a Premiership team.

Thats 6 defeats on the bounce now... :(

/rant over.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

didn't see the game...but being a villa fan i can only be but happy about the result. :D

Things looking a bit worrying for spurs now....only 2points above the relegation zone but really can't see spurs goin down quite yet ;) . Did Keane start the game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

RuggieBear wrote:

Things looking a bit worrying for spurs now....only 2points above the relegation zone but really can't see spurs goin down quite yet ;) . Did Keane start the game?

I didn't want to mention the dreaded R word just yet... ;)

On that note, if results don't improve immeadiately, I expect the vultures to start circling around January, with Defoe and King providing the tastiest morsels.

Keane came on with 20 minutes to go, to play behind Defoe and Kanoute. I left with ten minutes to go, but heard on the car radio on the way back to my place that Davenport had come on for Atouba and was playing as a 3rd striker!

If Jol wants to see us improve, he really should ditch the Santini tactic of lumping long balls up to Atouba (1st half) and Kanoute (2nd half) when they're blatantly not working. The difference in approaches (Villa passing from the back, Spurs going route one) was the difference in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

Villa played some nice football, especially in tight situations, but had real difficulty with the final ball. Overall they deserved the win, Solano scoring with a cracking effort, and missing a chance from two yards out a few minutes afterwards, though in fairness to Robinson it was a great save. Spurs didn't seem overly interested in the game though they weren't all that bad. Defoe and Mendez were repeatedly playing sloppy passes for each other and getting frustrated towards the end, and Defoe had a legitimate penalty claim ignored. Personally I'd start Keane instead of Defoe, I think he's more comfortable with playing off a big target man, Defoe would rather everything stayed on the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Good result for Villa, 13 pts from last 5 games now. I didn't see the game, just heard the commentary off the Villa site, but there seemd to be a high enough number of Spurs attacks, with dire finishing barely troubling Sorenson being the main offender.

I'm happy I saw the Solano goal on the news, was sheer quality! :)

It's looking bad for Spurs tho, Boro at the weekend, and I know where I'd put my money for that game. 7 defeats in a row I'm guessing, glad I'm not a Spurs fan... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Oh how I enjoyed that game last night, 3 wins on the trot for the Villa!!

Young Davis loooked very good on his full debut, Mellberg was as always solid as a rock. If Villa can keep a good run going until the New Year then buy a few players in January we could be in a Uefa spot come the end of the season.

Go on the Villa

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Watched the game! Villa where good! Spurs where ok but Im not sure about there new manager! seem abit like the Holland manager when Ireland beat them!! threw on so many forwards and even putting defenders up front the team had no shape!! Defoe was useless!! everyone is england saying he is the best striker!!! no chance! drop him for Keane! every ball he got he gave away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

was a really bad performance. reminded me of the performance against portsmouth that really started the streak of losing.

i cant imagaine why mendes is being played on the right, he is a great holding midfield player. and we need to get someone other than atouba on the left. he just doesnt seem to want to play football.
    i will be happy when sean davies come back.

i just dont understand it. we have the players, why wont the play togther. i feel like a chelsea supporter of about 6 years ago!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Big Nelly wrote:
    Defoe was useless!! everyone is england saying he is the best striker!!! no chance! drop him for Keane! every ball he got he gave away
    I didn't see the game but if what you are all saying about Defoe is true someone want to tell Sky:
    http://skysports.planetfootball.com/matchratings.asp?fxid=263657&clid=6

It's getting worse than Lampard getting 9/10 every game.

F**king joke!! "always lively" they say! he was useless! gave the ball away all the time and then would start crying at who passed it to him! poor game by him! and Kanoute was no better! see this morning Everton want Keane and Beattie!! would be good move for Keane....needs a player like Beattie playing alongside him! like Quinn in the old days!!

Big Nelly wrote:
    F**king joke!! "always lively" they say! he was useless! gave the ball away all the time and then would start crying at who passed it to him! poor game by him! and Kanoute was no better! see this morning Everton want Keane and Beattie!! would be good move for Keane....needs a player like Beattie playing alongside him! like Quinn in the old days!!

it is not Defoe's job to pick up the ball on the half way line and then try and go on his own.
    the problem is he wasnt getting service up in the vill abox because atouba is crap, and because mendes is not a natural right half. he is a centre midfielder.

but when he did get the ball, yes, i think he did look lively. he did run at players, and take them on, but when you are running at 3 players, you are going to lose the ball. what would you have him do?

• Advertisement

I agree the service isnt great! but neither atouba or Mendes are wingers!! so why try and play them there??

When Defoe did get the ball he would just run straight into a defender with the ball! at least Keane trys to hold the ball up and bring in more players! think Defoe likes playing with Keane more because he feeds off him!!

i would agree with that.
    i think spurs are looking to bring in some wingers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Big Nelly wrote:

When Defoe did get the ball he would just run straight into a defender with the ball! at least Keane trys to hold the ball up and bring in more players! think Defoe likes playing with Keane more because he feeds off him!!

I don't quite see it the same way. There was plenty of times last night that Defoe tried to hold the ball with 3/4 Villa players around him and no sign of any support from the midfield 4. There was such a huge gap between the front 2 and the midfield that no player could have done a decent job holding the ball waiting for help. Thats what pis*ed me off so much, there was no desire to get on the ball and try to hurt Villa last night, that sort of disinterest becomes standard practise very rapidly.

Atouba is atrocious. There's no other word for him. Can't run, can't trick his way past a player, can't pass, couldn't stay on his feet, looked awkward. For a minute last night I was thinking "have we been hoaxed by a pretend George Weah here?"

Mendes is wasted on the right side of midfield, he worked so well with Carrick in the last 30 minutes against Charlton, they have to be the central partnership. If necessary, push Brown out to the right until we can buy someone in to play wide.

As for Keane? First two contributions to the match were to give the ball away, falling flat on his arse the second time. Remember, this is the guy who had his back to goal berating Andy Reid as Clinton Morrison was getting on the end of Duffer's cross against the Swiss. Seriously wrong priorities there, he's no replacement for Defoe.

Advertisement