Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Sound card hell

• 23-11-2004 1:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Hey guys,

I've recently bought a 2nd hand Dell, 2.5ghz processor, 512mb of DDr ram, Two hard drives one is an 80 gig the other A 20 gig. (i want to put all the apps and OS on this smaller but havent got around to it yet)

Its got a Dual moniter Geforce card and Ive got 2 moniters working fine with it.
    A friend gave me an unwanted Creative Audigy Platium EX
    ( its not an audidgy 2). it has the firewire and mini midi connections on the front, It has the external panel on the front of the computer.
    Its not connected to the net, and is running XP Pro.

Having installed Reason, Cubase, Fruity loops etc I wanted to get the system to accepted the new card so I could begin recording my own tunes.

I've two 88 key weighted keyboards and play a number of instruments which I had hoped to record one at a time through the Line in on the sound card.
    The card seemed prefect for what I wanted to do, which is basically Lay stuff down one track at a time and just keep layering the tunes up.

The problem Im facing is that the Creative Card doesn't seem to work, I cant gat the midi to respond. Cubase is allowing Playback But a friend says it could just be reverting to the on board Sound card.

Reason is playing but no sound is coming out, and now my Cd playback has been affected so I cant even play a CD

Ive checked Creatives Downloads and have had a hell of a time trying to find the newest drivers for such a old Card. Im hoping its just the drivers, But if not how can I check the card actually works, and should I Just format everything with the new card? Also does anyone have a preference for an OS
    to use with these Programs cos if im going to format everything then I may as well but on the most Productive OS.

Another Problem which might help is that every time I shut the comp down Creative Launcher Starts up and I cant turn the comp off till I end prog.

Its driving me mad all I want to do is record, and Im not really a techie so I just cant get it to work any advice would be greatly appreicated!
    Cheers Inner I

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

I know it sounds silly but have you checked the sound panel? ie volume,microphone etc!!!
    If you don't get any more help try guys&gals should sort it!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Inner I

cheers for the thought greenman sometimes it is the simplest answer that is the right one alas not in this case!!!!
    but i didnt know i could ask the tech part of the site questions like that, i thought it was just for over clocking etc so my next port of call will be there thanx Inner I

• Closed Accounts Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Gmodified

During the week . I will have look at my setup.

first make sure that onboard card is fully disabled preferably in BIOS .

maybe try to switch between Synth A and Synth B (two hardware synths) also check in windows control panel that correct midi playback device is selected.

It may happen but it’s very unlikely that MIDI interface just goes dead.

What exactly happens in cubasis? You can hear the keyboard but…..?

IS this only MIDI problem ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Inner I

there is playback from cubase, but it is files i had previously recorded from another system and load on.

the midi doesn't seem to be working at all. I've checked the midi channels on both the keyboards and computer. but there isnt any signal. There is no midi ports on the computer without the sound card, which is why I cant use the onboard soundcard.

****ing computers, i think the devil put them here to wind us up and send us all postal....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Gmodified

just disable on board audio. My mobo doesnt have MIDI ports but bios has setting for joystick port and midi port address. What is the software that you previously used for recording and what is the file format?

it looks to me like configuration problem .

• Advertisement
Advertisement