Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Football Manager

• 23-11-2004 12:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭

What is the story here, rumor has it that Bailey never wanted Mullins in the first place. The players have gone to a fitness expert to start their fitness training and fair play to them for getting the ball rolling bacuse Bailey and the county board are making a right balls of this selection process. It is now over 11 weeks since Lyons stood down and we still dont have a manager. I think Bailey should resign he is the common denominator in all the shaftings and internal politics that has plagued the last few Dublin amangers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

DUB wrote:
    What is the story here, rumor has it that Bailey never wanted Mullins in the first place. The players have gone to a fitness expert to start their fitness training and fair play to them for getting the ball rolling bacuse Bailey and the county board are making a right balls of this selection process. It is now over 11 weeks since Lyons stood down and we still dont have a manager. I think Bailey should resign he is the common denominator in all the shaftings and internal politics that has plagued the last few Dublin amangers.
    Doesn't Bailey's post come up for decision every year? If so I don't see how anybody can call for his resignation seeing as most of the county voted him in! But yeah he does seem to be making a balls of things wrt getting a new manager. Tommy Lyons came out and basically said that Bailey never wanted Mullins in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭DUB

i should probably be calling for someone to stand up to him instead, this mess is just bloody frustrating the league is going to be tough enough without being weeks behind in preperation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yavvy

well, its easy to place the blame on Bailey... there is a lot more to it than that. I agree that he isnt the right man for the job but the politics in Dublin make it impossible for anyone to do a decent job.

im gutted mullins wont be taking over, they should have given him anything they wanted. I just cant understand how Dubliun county board dont see the sence in bringing in a manager that can win the all Ireland..the money they would make would be staggering.

IMO mullis was one of the few men with that ability... its wait and see time now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

I'd like to have seen Brian Mullins get the job but as he did not I think John O Mahony could be the man. I also think your man Bailey is trouble and I do not trust him at all.

i wasnt sure about Mullins to be totally honest but I dont see the point in offering the job to someone you dont want and then declining perfectly reasonible demands when they make them. they disagreed with when he wanted to take the team away? i mean surely decisions like that are up to the manager whoever he is? there should be no interference!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭yamo

bailey was the man who got tommy carr out a few years ago. not the best liked person in the land methinks. players are back training with niall moyna (manages the sigersson teams in dcu), but are fairly pissed off with lack of movement on the manager front for over 11 weeks. perhaps some player power? will they get to veto any further county board nominees? highly unlikely given that the board have said there will be a new manager within the next 9 days (at this stage).

mullins would have been a good choice. who the hell is going to want to take over now? no point having either billings or caffrey - as good as they are, they are tommy lyons' selectors and have too much baggage from that era associated with them...

looks like caffrey is the man, possibly to be named tonight. He has a good record with NaFianna anyway. I'm prepared to give him a chance and not worry about the baggage from the Lyons era.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

It's official. Paul Caffrey it is.

So what do yez make of it? I've already heard people moaning that t will mean no change from the Lyons era, but i think that is unfair, Caffery could well have very different ideas on how he wants to do things. He may have learnt from the mistakes of the Lyons era. Promoting selectors has worked well before so the clean break theory that some were calling for isnt the only way to do it.

Caffery won Dublin three years in a row with na Fianna, won a leinster title and got to an all Ireland final, which in my eyes makes him far more qualified then Mullins for the job. But of course the snipping and undermining has started, dessie used to pick that team etc. Bollox to all that, I'm getting behind the man and the team! UP THE DUBS! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Imo you can't make racehorses out of asses! :D

No matter who got the Dublin job there was always going to be someone complaining. I say give him a chance and see what he can do. His success at Na Fianna means he's well able to the job if he's let. As for saying he's more qualified than Mullins i'd have to dissagree. Mullins has managed Derry and that would shade it for me in the experience stakes. Still though I don't see anything wrong with appointing Caffrey provided he's let do his job.

• Advertisement

Ah we have some decent players, if we can just iron out the second half collapses things might improve.

True Mullins has intercounty experience but the general feeling seems to be he didnt set the world alight up there, having said that Ulster is about as tuff to win as anything. Not much in it anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

I am fairly happy wiht the appointment. I was actually hoping he would get the job when they gave it to Tommy Lyons with his track record with Na Fianna. As for experience, he has inter county experience as a selector to back up his successes with Na Fianna so none of this should really be new to him. Like Dub said, I think we have better players here then alot give us credit for, but we also have an over expectant press and fan base that constantly applies pressure to the teeams and management.

Well said waylander, I'm really looking forward to the league campagin now. Time to try out the likes of Vaughan and some of the other minors and 21's that went so well recently.

Its funny that Wexford appointed their hurling manager only the other day and there was no one in the national papers calling it a disgrace that they took this long, bleedin mountain made out of a molehill when it comes to Dublin again. People from outside Dublin always say they hate the Dubs due to the hype, but there is nothing we can do about the media and their overhyping of the team. A lot of the fans have much more realistic expectations then the papers but I cant help thinking summer fans believe what they read. booing amateur sportsmen who dedicate large amounts of their spare time is disgraceful!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

anybody see col o'rourkes piece in the Sindo yesterday? Any chance it could be posted here?

Advertisement