Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Institute of Education and Gay Friendly Schools

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

LiouVille wrote:
    I went to an all Boys school, just down the road from pauls, There where no distractions from girls either. I'm currently at TCD doing engineering (90% men now) and I've joined several manly sports clubs. Spoting a thrend.?
    I went to Pauls, then the Institute for 6th year (which I found to be a very open, accepting environment), and then on to engineering in TCD (about 80 to 85% male in my class). I am involved in clubs and other organisations which are 90+% men. I am a heterosexual, and an athiest, and unlike cantab I believe in the christian moral of acceptance of all people, whatever their lifestyle, provided they live within the confines of civil law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

I went to Pauls, then the Institute for 6th year (which I found to be a very open, accepting environment), and then on to engineering in TCD (about 80 to 85% male in my class). I am involved in clubs and other organisations which are 90+% men. I am a heterosexual, and an athiest, and unlike cantab I believe in the christian moral of acceptance of all people, whatever their lifestyle, provided they live within the confines of civil law.

What point where you making?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭patzer117

<snip>

What is this, a name and shame? If you have a problem with a teacher, say it to someone professionally and discreetly, don't slander his name in public. I'm surprised that Belvedere hasn't taught you manners.

I wanted originally to add my two cents into the Christian teaching debate, and say that the Church, for all its faults, still does a remarkably good job at teaching morals to kids in their schools, in a way the institute of education or university never will. Morality is something society is sorely lacking at the moment, and it's only going to get worse. In the absence of religion classes or civics classes in places like the institute, people can learn all about geography and science, but come out with little grounding in life, no well rounded education. Without morals being taught, or leadership being given, it can be assumed, as has been demonstrated in countless places around the globe, that some* people come out concerned more for the welfare of themselves than of others. Put simply, many people are against the catholic church but ignore the benefits religion provides in some situations. Without a moral teaching (not provided by the government or the Institute), one can happily refuse to notice that doing things for one's own good, can bring them great happiness, even at the expense of others.

Now onto the OP i know my school was gay friendly, although very few people in the school came out. There was no opposition to anyone who did, though humorous remarks (sometimes made by the individuals themselves) were made. Hell we even had a gay teacher (at least one), among many other 'things'. If a school is intolerant, then that is a problem, though i don't think there should be a problem with them curbing excessive homosexual behaviour, in the same way as mixed schools often don't allow over-interaction between guys and girls if you get my drift.

reading that back it all looks confusing but i'm far too tired to rewrite

* Edit: i had to edit - i disagreed with myself when reading back again, so i added in one word - 'some' which i have flagged above too. sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

patzer117 wrote:
    What is this, a name and shame? If you have a problem with a teacher, say it to someone professionally and discreetly, don't slander his name in public. I'm surprised that Belvedere hasn't taught you manners.
    Ouch, claws up.

In public? I don't think this forum really counts as public. Anyway, I'm not too sympathetic to gay bashers. If you really feel strongly you can take this as the punishment he's never gonna get. Hell, he's lucky I'm not giving specific examples, and I could.
    So I tell a teacher or someone else about this, with no evidence, and what do they do? Tell the guy who lead our school to the double last year and is respected by every rugby player in the school that I have a problem with some things he said? Please. Nothing would happen. And if I have to call him out, not by name mind you, to perhaps save some gay person on this forum the displeasure of his company then so be it. So be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Enigma365

I went to Summerhill College in Sligo town and left in 2001(about 1000 students when I was there). The school was all male. One guy did come out but subsequently played it off as a joke. He got frequent ridiculing, although no severe or physical bullying.

My only complaint about the school was that one or two of the teachers, in particular one of the most popular teachers in the school would regularly make homophobic remarks and jokes.

I strongly believe that it would be a huge improvement in secondary schools if just once a teacher said that it was not a big deal to be gay. Thankfully college(TCD) turned out to be about as different to secondary school as it could be, in this respect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭shay_562

I wanted originally to add my two cents into the Christian teaching debate, and say that the Church, for all its faults, still does a remarkably good job at teaching morals to kids in their schools, in a way the institute of education or university never will.

What about multi- or non-denominational schools? My secondary school was, for all intents and purposes, non-religious, but I'm (probably) not a fundamentally flawed human being because of that, nor are any of my classmates, or any of the other thouands of people in the country who went to these kinds of schools instead of Catholic ones. Morality can be taught in an entirely non-religious way; I don't see it as being solely the preserve of the Church. And as well as that, I'd see the teaching of morality and right Vs wrong and so on as being the duty of parents or guardians rather than the school. If a kid hits primary school at the age of 5 with absolutely no grounding in morals (and as anyone who's ever dealt with junior infants en masse will know, some of them are evil little bastards from the very first day), they're not going to learn it from school. If they go home from their few hours a week of learning about Jesus and the like and get no guidance there, it's not gonna stick. I don't think it's the job of schools to teach about morality, and as such, I don't think your argument in favour of Catholic schools is a hugely sound one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 anymouse

Cantab. wrote:
    I went to an all boys school (St. Paul's, Dublin 5) and had a great time. There were no distractions from girls and we played lots of sport. Academic success was the primary focus built on tradition and vincentian values.

I went to TCD to do engineering (95% men!) and joined a mens sports club. And I'm not gay and still go to Mass every sunday.

Do people think that if the Institute for Education got a name as being a 'gay school', that revenues would seriously drop given number of parents who would refuse to allow their children be educated in such an environment? I know I certainly wouldn't allow any children of mine be educated in such an institute devoid of any Catholic moral teaching. Of course this is my perspective on education and that of a lot of my friends/family.

Good grief... what a crazy thing to say. One of the main stumbling blocks to gay people being fully accepted into society is organised religions' "teachings" on the matter. Personally, I would ban all religious teachings in all schools apart from RE classes where kids could be taught what ALL the major religions stand for etc. You don't need to be catholic / christian / whatever to have morals. I always considered it was down to my (non-religious) upbringing that I have the morals I do...

The biggest problem with the Irish education system (speaking as an outsider) is that it relies far too heavily on church sponsored schools leaving choice in the matter very limited. Bring on more non denominational schools I say!

Incidentally, as a reply to the original poster...
    I attended non denominational schools at both primary and secondary level and being percieved as gay was just as difficult as it probably would have been at a religious school. Boys will be boys and most are twats. My *best* friend outed me to all my classmates behind my back and ran a campaign where no one talked to me for most of 3rd year. I found out a few years ago that he's in fact gay himself! I'd like to hope that things have moved on somwhat since then (mid 80's).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

how do they feel about this? ( serriously)

and yes it is illegal. Very illegal, and the school should know better....
    i think you should go and tell them ot tak elegal action

Advertisement