Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Automatic IP allocation

Options
  • 23-11-2004 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Ok,

For the last few months ive been having trouble with the network connection between the 2 pcs in my gaff. They used to work fine, but something happened, and now I'm having big troubles getting Microsoft Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) to work. I've gone through the whole rigmarole many times, but to no avail. File sharing works fine.

My problem is that the laptop that I am connecting to the main Internet pc keeps naming the Network adapter with the wrong 169.xxx.xxx.xxx instead of the proper 192.168.xxx.xxx (or whatever it is :) ) Ive tried giving it a static IP instead of it automatically doing it, but it doesnt seem to work.

There is a possibility that the network cable got damaged, but file sharing works ok between them, so I dont understand how ICS wont. Would a damaged cable cause the IP not to register properly?

Any advice is appreciated!

Wav

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭lampsie

Wavioli wrote:
    Ok,

For the last few months ive been having trouble with the network connection between the 2 pcs in my gaff. They used to work fine, but something happened, and now I'm having big troubles getting Microsoft Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) to work. I've gone through the whole rigmarole many times, but to no avail. File sharing works fine.

My problem is that the laptop that I am connecting to the main Internet pc keeps naming the Network adapter with the wrong 169.xxx.xxx.xxx instead of the proper 192.168.xxx.xxx (or whatever it is :) ) Ive tried giving it a static IP instead of it automatically doing it, but it doesnt seem to work.

There is a possibility that the network cable got damaged, but file sharing works ok between them, so I dont understand how ICS wont. Would a damaged cable cause the IP not to register properly?

Any advice is appreciated!

Wav

How is the Main PC connecting to the internet? Dailup modem, adsl etc.

try this:
    Main PC NIC: 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0
    Laptop NIC: 192.168.1.2 255.255.255.0

Laptop NIC Primary DNS + Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

see how that goes :)
    - lamps

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Wavioli

lampsie wrote:
    How is the Main PC connecting to the internet? Dailup modem, adsl etc.

try this:
    Main PC NIC: 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0
    Laptop NIC: 192.168.1.2 255.255.255.0

Laptop NIC Primary DNS + Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

see how that goes :)
    - lamps

Ok tried that, no joy :( what puzzles me though, is that Zonealarm calls the connection 192.168.1.0 when i have it set as 192.168.1.1.

The main pc connects to the internet via a cable modem connected via USB. I am absolutely puzzled by this, I mean filesharing works, why doesnt ICS??

Thanks for the help :)

Wavioli wrote:
    Ok tried that, no joy :( what puzzles me though, is that Zonealarm calls the connection 192.168.1.0 when i have it set as 192.168.1.1.

The main pc connects to the internet via a cable modem connected via USB. I am absolutely puzzled by this, I mean filesharing works, why doesnt ICS??

Thanks for the help :)

Dont worry about 192.168.1.0 -> this means zone alarm is allowing any machine on the 192.168.1.1 -> 192.168.1.255 network, which is what you want.

What OS are you running? If its XP, the network connection wizard can generate a floppy disk that you can run on another machine, which might be worth trying instead (I think this sets up the main pc with a dHCP server that allocates an IP to the laptop machine)

lampsie wrote:
    Dont worry about 192.168.1.0 -> this means zone alarm is allowing any machine on the 192.168.1.1 -> 192.168.1.255 network, which is what you want.

What OS are you running? If its XP, the network connection wizard can generate a floppy disk that you can run on another machine, which might be worth trying instead (I think this sets up the main pc with a dHCP server that allocates an IP to the laptop machine)

The laptop is XP the other is Win 2000. When i set it up the first time, there was no need to make the disk (although im willing to try anything at this stage!) it would be the win2000 machine that allocates the IP addresses with dHCP? and if that's the case then the prob is with that computer, and not the laptop?

Thanks for the help, I think I'm finally beginning to grasp the basics of networking! (not very well mind :p )

Wavioli wrote:
    The laptop is XP the other is Win 2000. When i set it up the first time, there was no need to make the disk (although im willing to try anything at this stage!) it would be the win2000 machine that allocates the IP addresses with dHCP? and if that's the case then the prob is with that computer, and not the laptop?

Thanks for the help, I think I'm finally beginning to grasp the basics of networking! (not very well mind :p )

OK, set the Laptop and PC as per my initial post, and see if you can ping www.boards.ie from the laptop (Start->Run->"cmd" ... 'ping www.boards.ie')

It may be worth having a look through this site also:
    http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/w2kics.html

also: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/learnmore/ics.mspx

• Advertisement

lampsie wrote:
    OK, set the Laptop and PC as per my initial post, and see if you can ping www.boards.ie from the laptop (Start->Run->"cmd" ... 'ping www.boards.ie')

It may be worth having a look through this site also:
    http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/w2kics.html

also: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/learnmore/ics.mspx

Thanks for the help, Ive finally got it working, by downloading WinProxy.

I guess this means that there's something wrong with ICS on the win 2000 computer.

Which brings me to my NEW problem :rolleyes:

As Winproxy is only a tryout version (and I dont think Id be in to buying it, cos I cant get online games to work), I want to try and sort out ICS on the Win2000 machine. I know my Dad Re-installed the OS recently, is there a chance that he neglected to reinstall ICS at the same time? Ive been trawling the net for ages looking for info about ICS relating to win2000, but all I ever come across is for 98SE, with reg edit instructions. I dont want to go messing with that stuff unless I know it defo applies to Win2k too.

Anyone got any ideas?

Have you tried ICS with zonealarm completely shut down? I know Sygate free edition doesnt like ICS

lampsie wrote:
    Have you tried ICS with zonealarm completely shut down? I know Sygate free edition doesnt like ICS

yeh ive tried that, one of the first things i tried. Just for some reason ICS is allocating the dumbass 169.xxx.xxx.xxx IPs to the Local area connection. My Dad recently did a OS reinstall, is it possible that ICS wasnt reinstalled?

Sygate free eh? must check that out, like i said win proxy isnt ideal, and i cant get internet games to work through it, otherwise i wouldnt give a crap about ICS. plus its only a 30 day trial.

Advertisement