Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JFK Reloaded

Options
  • 23-11-2004 12:46pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭

dunno if anyone has seen this before

http://www.jfkreloaded.net/gallery/screenshots.asp

i guess you really can do anything in computer games.

ok i just saw it was posted in after hours. oops.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭monomaniac

Yeah - they're talking about it on the bbc:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/talking_point/4034853.stm

Download it before it gets banned. Now to see who's behind the grassy knoll...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

And Gerry Ryan just had something to say about it...along with 'Grand Auto Theft' :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭abccormac

best game ever!! shootin jfk in the face over and over again is one of the funniest things ever

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

I tought Moderators took off tasteless links
    now if this was bush on the other hand.....

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Absolam wrote:
    And Gerry Ryan just had something to say about it...along with 'Grand Auto Theft' :D
    Was it nice and balanced? I bet it was! I bet it was a valuable contribution about the affect, or lack thereof, of gaming on today's youth.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I think it's distasteful. It is a sick concept. It's one thing blasting holes in endless streams of the "enemy" or "aliens" in shoot-em-ups but JFK was a real person. A man who many looked up to despite his faults. We should reconsider what we want our kids to think of as acceptable. :(

I am not advocating a ban or anything like that. I don't believe in consorship.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

[I would delete the link, but I’m linking to a site which has the link so there’s no point]

The game is distasteful, but over at the Guardian’s Gamesblog they’ve come up with the interesting idea that this might spawn a new genre the ‘docu-game’…

JFK game attracts controversy. But is this the future of news reporting?
    http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/games/archives/gamesarestrange/2004/11/jfk_game_attracts_controversy_but_is_this_the_future_of_news_reporting.html#more

(original blog) JFK murder "game"
    http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/games/archives/gamesarestrange/2004/11/jfk_murder_game_.html#more

It looks as if the story on the cover of the Irish Independent is from Reuters, just slightly different then the one linked to in the first link above.... or here...

http://edition.cnn.com/2004/US/11/21/kennedy.game.reut/index.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

is it realy any worse than a documentary about it on tv?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

tuxy wrote:
    is it realy any worse than a documentary about it on tv?

It is worse than a documentary because it lets you play around from different angles and watch his head explode, it's not a history lesson. At least thats the impression I get, I'm not paying for it to find out.

I'm always completely against these gaming witchhunts (be it manhunt or whatever), but in fairness this 'game' doesn't seem to have been made with any purpose in mind other than being controversial and it's getting what it wanted.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Do you get a magic bullet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

What is the contact actually like? I mean, is it a first person shooter, or like a physics sim, to see from where the bullet was fired?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭abccormac

It's an fps but you're in a fixed position looking down the scope of the rifle, it gives you a balistic analysis of your shots when your finished and compares them to the real thing. you can see it replayed from the same point of view of the really famous footage of him being killed. I got it this afternoon and have been playing around with it for a while, it's unbelievably addictive and personally i think that while its undoubtedly a bit sick its nowhere near as "bad" as gta. The website is full of links to sites about the various conspiracy theories and is actually quite informative. It's obviously going to get slaughtered in the media though.

If 'you're in a fixed position looking down the scope of the rifle', the "game" is not a first person shooter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Bass.exe

monument wrote:
    If 'you're in a fixed position looking down the scope of the rifle', the "game" is not a first person shooter.

Then what is it?

first person
    n.

1. The grammatical category of forms that designate a speaker or writer referring to himself or herself. Examples of forms in the first person include English pronouns such as I and we and verb forms such as Spanish hablo “I speak.”
    2. A discourse or literary style in which the narrator recounts his or her own experiences or impressions using such forms: a novel written in the first person.

Shoot Audio pronunciation of "shooter" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (sht)
    v. shot, (sht) shoot·ing, shoots
    v. tr.

3. To discharge (a weapon).

Thus, it's a first person shooter. Played in the persona of Lee Harvey Oswald.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Hydrosylator

Well, respected computer games enthusiast and game culture aficianado, Ian Dempsey, had this to say on his programme this morning,;
    "What is the world coming to?"
    Nice one, Ian, way to base your opinion of a piece of software on a scrap of paper put before you along with your cup of tea.

And what have the moral majority thought us? Simulating a game of a real war in which millions died is platinum-selling and impressive stuff, which really gets you into the action. Shooting a thousand people is great fun. Simulating the assasination of one of the USA's dodgiest presidents is sick and wrong. Shooting a rich famous celebrity is a sin against us all.

The funniest thing is how great a job the moral indignation crowd are doing of promoting what seems to be a fairly dull and unexciting game. Okay, the concept is interesting, but I won't spend a tenner on a concept. The game appears to be quite clinical in it's delivery (the best apprach, I reckon) so whether you play it like an amateur historian, a political activist, or a US marine who finds shooting one arab after another a bit boring these days, is entirely up to the player.

So basically, I'm disgusted at those in the media who are shouting their ignorance out loud on yet another game they have never played, will never play and view as a childs toy gone wrong.
    To paraphrase a film
    "**** Gerry Ryan and Ian Dempsey, **** them in their stupid asses"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

noooo i downloaded it hoping to get to shoot but when you aim in on the people and try shoot it says you have to buy the full version. screw that. im not payin a tenner for one head shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

I dont think the car looks the right colour anyway, what a fecking outrage, at least get that right Mr. Evil Fun Game Developer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Thrasher

If this were presented as a simulation, to verify the conclusions of the Warren report, etc., it would be an interesting application.

However, this is presented in bad taste - offering a $100,000 reward ("Shoot JFK") is obviously provocative, in order for this piece of software to get the attention. (Hey look - we're advertising for it, by this very discussion).

While developers should have the freedom to develop whatever they want, I do think this is in really bad taste. There is no way to defend the existance of this on any scientific or historical basis. Only a small software company cashing in on one mans murder.

Bass.exe wrote:
    Then what is it?
    Thus, it's a first person shooter. Played in the persona of Lee Harvey Oswald.

It's a sim.
    Bass.exe wrote:
    1. The grammatical category of forms that designate a speaker or writer referring to himself or herself. Examples of forms in the first person include English pronouns such as I and we and verb forms such as Spanish hablo “I speak.”
    2. A discourse or literary style in which the narrator recounts his or her own experiences or impressions using such forms: a novel written in the first person.

Both of the above deal with writer and/or 'speaker or writer', in writen or spoken terms - unlike the game genre FPS, they do not apply to a visual position that appears on a computer screen.

It's a sim, now back on topic, please and thank you.

Advertisement