Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radiohead and Kid A

Options
  • 11-09-2000 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭

Thoughts, Questions, comments and/or opinions?

Kid A, Radiohead's new album out around the end of the month, start of October.

Lucutus of Borg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

woohoo! biggrin.gif

Definite addition to the CD collection there... and a concert of the year (that I'm going to... damn right I'm looking forward to it too! wink.gif)

Bard
    _____
    -me-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭pepperkin

Go Radiohead! Go Lucutus! Say hi to L for me. How's things? smile.gif

I am woman, hear me squeak...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Zapper

Im going to see them play live on teh 28th of September..should be bloody great,,cant wait for the new album

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

What days are people going to the concerts in Ireland?

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    My page of stuff

My ticket's at home, I'm in the office... but I think it's the show on the 7th I'm going to.

Bard
    _____
    -me-

• Advertisement

Ah yeah... it's the 7th (Saturday) - when's everyone else going?

original discussion here

Bard
    _____
    -me-

I must get my ticket for it - my mates are going on the 7th, so I'd best be quick!

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    My page of stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭stu_69

kharn mate you'll have to go back in time as both friday and saturday are sold out!!

if it's half as good as the rds gig a few years back it's going to be gig of the year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

Hey there pepper'kins', how yah doin' hon? smile.gif

My ticket is for the Sunday gig. Looking forward to a new album from Radiohead, hoping they'll live upto my expectations and do something totally different.

biggrin.gif

Lucutus of Borg

[This message has been edited by Lucutus (edited 12-09-2000).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭Borric

Having talked to a friend recently i gather it is different but he was not impressed with it ....

when he told me he was'nt going to the concert i couldnt believe him as he had always been a great radiohead fan since pablo honey...

but he did'nt think much of the new stuff and since most of the concert will probably be the new stuff...

But ill be there sunday night

and 29th september for the album

[This message has been edited by Borric (edited 12-09-2000).]

• Advertisement

Originally posted by stu_69:
    kharn mate you'll have to go back in time as both friday and saturday are sold out!!

if it's half as good as the rds gig a few years back it's going to be gig of the year

WHAT!??!?!?!

OH FLUFF!

Anyone wanna swap a Sunday ticket for a Saturday ticket? I'll have to buy a Sunday one first mind smile.gif

I suppose I'll be at the mercy of the touts frown.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

Dav, im not going on Saturday if its sold out!! Bugger. Go Sunday, we'll party.. smile.gif

personally I hope its not too much of a "Kid A"-Intro gig and they play enough of their old stuff

Bard
    _____
    -me-

Eamon! I'll be getting the tickets this evening!

PARTY!

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    My page of stuff

Right, Dav and myself just purchased tickets for Sunday. Anyone want to come with ?? Who else will be there so we can get on down in a funky stylee. Well, maybe not. Who's playing support BTW ?

Im going to the bear fights tomorrow, want to come with ??

I'm heading there with my bro, we can meet up if yas like for a beer beforehand etc?

Shoud be excellent.

biggrin.gif

Lucutus of Borg

going on the saturday... I can let ye know if its any good or if its a Kid-A promo... from the sounds of Kid-A (on Fannings show on 2FM tonight), I sure as fu(k hope it isnt...

Bard
    _____
    -me-

Originally posted by Lucutus:
    I'm heading there with my bro, we can meet up if yas like for a beer beforehand etc?

Shoud be excellent.

biggrin.gif

A'ight! I'll send ya a mail closer to the day and we'll find a watering hole before hand smile.gif

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    My page of stuff

biggrin.gif

Lucutus of Borg

yup. Sounds good!!!! smile.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

I've been listening to it for the last 2 days solid - it is excellent, but very different. Very electronic/ambient - as far beyond ok computer as that album was beyond the bends in terms of style and direction.

"National Anthem" is probably my favorite track, followed closely by "Idioteque", "Kid A", and "How to Dissappear Completely".

Smashing Pumpkins' just-released "Machina II" didn't impress me much at all though..

Teeth.

I dunno- if I want electronica and ambience, I'll go for Air or someone like that... Radiohead were always a rock band in my eyes. Doesn't mean, of course, that they can't change direction... doesn't mean as well, though, that I have to like it!

Admittedly I didn't hear much of Fanning's show the other night when he was playing Kid A, but what I did hear surprised me in that I didn't realise it was Radiohead until the track ended and he said what it was (and for some of them I was really hoping it *wasn't* Radiohead while listening to the track...)...

Oh well... roll on the gig!!! biggrin.gif

Bard
    _____
    -me-

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

Well, there are 4 tracks on the album that have the old radiohead sound - "The National Anthem", "How to DisappearCompletely",
    "Optimistic" and "In Limbo".

The rest are... different, but it's All Good imho smile.gif

Teeth.

But is it as listenable to as The Bends ? OK Computer wasnt. Not saying that OK Computer was bad, just difficult in places.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

OK here is my not so humble opinion. KID A sucks. I like Radiohead but this is one of the worst pieces of music ever created by a proper band. They had taken other peoples ideas (e.g. The backwards talking) and just copied it. OK does someone want to explain to me why they have gone and replaced a perfectly good drummer with a bad drum machine for some of the songs. There are a couple of good songs and when I say a couple I mean TWO!!. Motion Picture Soundtrack and Optimistic. Motion Picture Soundtrack used to be a better song however when it was acoustic.

Most of the people who are saying it is good are just people who have such low self assurance that they are afraid to say what they really think of the album for fear that people won't respect there musicical opinion (Dave Fanning and Q Magazine please stand up!) OK I could go on all day but I'll stop now cos I'll only start getting personal.

Expecting lots of replys. Remember I'm a huge radiohead fan but this is just utter ****e.

Can anyone who says they like the album truthfully say that they actually like KID A (the song)

Anyway, thanks for reading.

BTW Machina 2/Friends and Enemies of Modern Music - The Pumpkins final farewell is an outstanding piece of music and for free I think I would chose it over KID A anyday.

And lastly I used think Billy Corgan was a freak but Tom York makes him look normal.

Originally posted by D-Generate:
    BTW Machina 2/Friends and Enemies of Modern Music - The Pumpkins final farewell is an outstanding piece of music and for free I think I would chose it over KID A anyday.

And lastly I used think Billy Corgan was a freak but Tom York makes him look normal.

Agreed - Machina II is a great album - a kind of overview of the Pumpkins' musical history - from the earlier rockier stukk to the more "electronically" influenced Machina stuff. A good listen!

And yes, Thom Yorke is a freak, but so is Billy smile.gif

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    My page of stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Excelsior

i love this cd. i am listening to track 6 right now. flipper! this has nothing to do with a lack of assurance on my part. i dont fear sharing my opinion, (do i el pres?)
    my favourite cds of the last two years have been the Godspeed You Black Emporor cds, Air's Moon Safari and Virgin Suicide soundtrack, and R.E.M.'s Up. Kid A is like these cds all merged into one. I listened to it last night while in the middle of a conversation on the phone. I just got lost inside it. Listen to it. Don't critique it. Radiohead albums are inevitably going to be welcomed in terms of cultural significance and impact. I love it. It is the perfect cd for this point in time. I can't wait until Saturday. Radiohead are, along with being a great band, the most potent live force I've ever heard.
    Buy Kid A. Open your mind wide like a parachute and enjoy it. That is what I think anyway.

[This message has been edited by Excelsior (edited 03-10-2000).]

I agree in places. Its truly a strange album, but i think a logical progression from OK Computer. There are some truly, utterly, astoundingly beautiful moments, The whole of How To Dissapear Completely, for example (goddamn i hope they play that on Saturday), still, i have to keep my favour with The Bends. However, it may grow on me, i hope it does..

PS- I hear they're bringing out another album next year. More rock orientated apparantly. This is truly a fine thing and we should all be greatful for this creamy goodness..

After buying the album today (well... I *had* to, didn't I?) ... erm,... I agree with plastic membrane.... although I listen to OK Computer far more than any of the others, I still rank Creep and Fake Plastic Trees WAYYYY up there and hope to hell they play both of 'em tomorrow ... er ... tonight...

can't wait smile.gif

Bard
    _____
    -me-

• Advertisement

Went to the gig last night. It was truly fantastic! Deadly sound, helped by it being a tent and not a big concrete building I guess, great atmos., and ... Radiohead!!! Radiohead are pure absolute musical genius... Listen to what they have to say!

... and as for Kid A, having gone to the gig and having listened to the album for a couple of days, it gets a definite thumbs up from me.

Bard
    _____
    -me-

Advertisement