Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mince Pies

• 23-11-2004 1:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭

Aren't they great?

Does anyone know if a mince pie has been made to the size of a regular apple pie?

Man that'd be great

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

I hate them!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

My mother makes her own mincemeat at christmas, and often has to find a way to use up all the jars, so she makes apple-tart sized pies. But instead of being completely all mincemeat, she puts in a frangipane layer as well. Frangipane is a kind of pastry cream flavoured with almonds. very yummy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

wtf?
    my mum makes lovely mince pies. well actually i just eat the crust cause its so delicious. mmm pie crust

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

i dont like mince pies!!! yuck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,004 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I love mince pies, and cream yummy yummy, but has to be poured cream not whipped cream.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭MidnightQueen

I always hated mince pies, i'm like the odd one out in my family cos everyone else likes em. ewh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭Caoimhe

Mmmmmm mince pies. Had my first mince pie of the season about a half hour ago. It was fabulous :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,192 ✭✭✭kensutz

I luv em, give me a box and it'll disappear in 2 mins with a cup of tea :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭memphis

woosaysdan wrote:
    i dont like mince pies!!! yuck
    My sentiment exactly. I hate the damn things. They're gross!

They're like brussel sprouts, part of the festive tradition, nobody like em but ya have to eat em.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

i give them to my little brother!!! i tell him that they are baby cabbages and he eats all of mine for me!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I think a big pie-sized mince pie wouldn't be great. It'd be all mince and not so much pie. They only work because of the fusion of the pastry and mincemeat. Mincemeat is nice, but not by the spoonful.
    They're like brussel sprouts, part of the festive tradition, nobody like em but ya have to eat em.
    Brussels Sprouts + gravy == nyom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Mince pies do seem to be one of those things (Marzipan is the classic example) that people either absolutely adore or totally detest.

Spiced mince sweetmeat has been traditional winter fare since the days when poor preservative technology made it a great way to eat fruit in the winter - some of the ingredients were intended to stop the fruit going rotten, and some were intended to cover the taste caused by the fact that the attempts to prevent rotting weren't perfect (don't worry, the modern stuff is rot-free).

Eating mince pies at Christmas is illegal. This was one of the many laws that have been made against various Christmas customs from time to time either by the Church condemning the custom because it's Pagan (e.g. bringing greenery into your home was banned numerous times) or by Puritans who wanted to ban the whole holiday. Anyway, the Puritan ban on Christmas included a ban on mince pies (and plum pudding) that nobody got around to taking off the statute books.

Mmmmm. Forbidden pie.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,425 ✭✭✭weemcd

hmm i hate them, i find that when you bite in to them at first they are fukin lovley but then when you chew them and you taste the mince it feels so wrong like it is a really really bad mixture. theyd be far nicer without the mince imo :P

Advertisement