Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

problem with dialback on router

Options
  • 23-11-2004 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭

im setting up a few ISDN routers for remote access to networks. Theyre Dlink DI-304's if anyone needs the specifics. I can dial into the routers and connect no problem using a username and password I setup in the router config. If I enable dialback and give the router a specific number to call me back on it works no problems also. Problems arise however when it does call me back. I tried this in Windows 2000 pro btw. Sequence of events as follows.

1. I dial the router using a dialup connection i setup with the username and password pair I setup in the router.
    2. PC connects to router, then disconnects
    3. dialog on pc screen says "waiting for callback"
    4. callback happens, pc dialog changes to "verifying username and password"
    5. connection times out.

If anyone can get their head around it, could you suggest any reasons why the router and the pc cant get to grips with the whole username/password thing. Is there anyway that I can get the connection to go straight through when the router calls me back?

I've tried endlessly to contact Dlink but it seems theres nobody home. Documentation with these things is practically non-existant, as is the online support. Thanks in advance if anyone has any suggestions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

hey, i dont know d-links that well but if you dont get an answer here try www.experts-exchange.com - you are guarenteed to get someone who does there. L8r.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

thanks for the link.. but id rather not have to pay for an answer they may not even have

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

you get free points when you join (enough to ask this question) and you get points when you answer questions too. anyways thought I would let you know. L8r.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

You could just tell them that you have disabled the call back function for financial reasons.

If one of those ISDN gets it into it head to redial on a broken connection or redial on demand AND the password on the other end has been changed or an account locked out etc then it might be dialing every minute or so for weeks before you catch it. And that can be bloody expensive.

So unless are 110% sure of the implications I'd stay away from dial back.

BTW: I've had 3Com's Drayteks and NT4 RAS and trying to get them to talk to each other some combinations worked and some did not - I could dial in to all of them with a PC if the settings were right and after that it was fustrating ..
    check for Domain names in case it trying to athenticate with windows instead of the router, are the usernames/passwords the same or different to the windows logon / passwords ?

Advertisement