Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fitting solid wood floor - end joints

Options
  • 23-11-2004 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭

I am fitting a solid wood floor this weekend using Sikabond adhesive and am considering biscuit jointing the ends (rather than just glue it with wood glue as recommended) - the ends are squared but not tongue and groved.

The planks are 18mm thick and I am worried the expanding biscuits might warp the planks.

Would biscuit jointing be a good idea?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Biscuits are a great way of strenghtening joints. What type of material are you making the biscuits from?

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭JimmyL

I was just thinking of using standard biscuits (made from birch?) - the planks are also Birch (yellow).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I don't think the biscuits would expand that much and even if they did, you'll be making the biscuit slot slightly bigger than the biscuit so it will have room to expand.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭JimmyL

Thanks Lex. That's what I figured but just wanted some re-assurance. Must drop into McQuillan and see what cheap biscuit jointers they have - need one to make some threads anyway.

Advertisement