Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sorry, sorry sorry, Windows XP vs XP Pro?

• 23-11-2004 3:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭

Hi,
    Major apologies in advance as you've probably answered this a million times but I can't get the search function to search for those little words XP and Pro.

Anyone recommend XP Pro over Home Edition for a home user/gamer?

Are there improvements in performance or stability?

Can I use the same disc to install the OS onto a laptop as well, like with the old windows? Or is it clever in some new fangled way and only installs to one PC?
    Ta,

Cassiel

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

mmhhmm...after putting Pro on my lappy, I couldn't stand home on my pc. Tis the little differences [disable SFS for eg] so I'm running Pro on both machines now.

runs everything fine as regards games. nice and stable.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Cassiel wrote:
    Anyone recommend XP Pro over Home Edition for a home user/gamer?
    If you are using a corporate network then you should chose PRO as they've broken the network login function that used to work in 2000 Home and windows 95. You can think of HOME as being PRO with stuff disabled instead of HOME with stuff Added.
    Are there improvements in performance or stability?
    If you have a dual processor machine then only PRO will use both of them
    Can I use the same disc to install the OS onto a laptop as well, like with the old windows? Or is it clever in some new fangled way and only installs to one PC?
    No - you need one license per machine with windows. If using OEM windows then you can't MOVE the license to another PC. see also "Windows Activation" where the install needs a different activation number when put on different machines...

Cassiel[/QUOTE]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Eldarin

I would have to say get XP Pro and don't look back. I have a home network, 2 pc's a laptop and an old piece of crap that has linux installed that i'm using as a router. The two pc's and the laptop are all Xp Pro and they work like a dream.

I have to disagree with the statement that you have to get a different serial key for each machine. The three xp pro machines I have are all using the same key and I've installed SP2 on them all no problems. Once the key is an original it will work on as many PC's as you want. Its just Microsoft wont be to happy. He He!!!!! :) :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭Cassiel

Hi Eldarin,
    Are you using a Full retail, Upgrade or OEM version. From what I've been reading on the interweb the OEM version won't let you set up on multiple PC's.
    Just wondering, because OEM is all I can stretch to financially.

Thanks,
    Cassiel.
    Eldarin wrote:
    I would have to say get XP Pro and don't look back. I have a home network, 2 pc's a laptop and an old piece of crap that has linux installed that i'm using as a router. The two pc's and the laptop are all Xp Pro and they work like a dream.

I have to disagree with the statement that you have to get a different serial key for each machine. The three xp pro machines I have are all using the same key and I've installed SP2 on them all no problems. Once the key is an original it will work on as many PC's as you want. Its just Microsoft wont be to happy. He He!!!!! :) :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭fatmander

I dunno about that Eldarin, I agree with Midnight.
    I have to disagree, not saying you are wrong, but someone is,
    I always thought XP retail lets you install onto 2 computers, same as Office XP retail, oem only goes onto one,
    unless..... you have a copy of XP that doesn't require activation, such as a copy of XP corporate, which I believe has a few keys floating around that are immune to service pack bug.
    hmmm...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

fatmander wrote:
    I dunno about that Eldarin, I agree with Midnight.
    I have to disagree, not saying you are wrong, but someone is,
    I always thought XP retail lets you install onto 2 computers, same as Office XP retail, oem only goes onto one,
    unless..... you have a copy of XP that doesn't require activation, such as a copy of XP corporate, which I believe has a few keys floating around that are immune to service pack bug.
    hmmm...
    OEM is for one pc only (meant to be locked to one hard drive only)
    retail will allow you to install on another hard drive providing that the other isn't being used.

so basically they are both one license to one pc but retail has the bonus feature of being allow to be setup on different hard drive (computers) so long as only one hard drive has xp on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭fatmander

oem is for 'original equipment manufacturer'-, as in the guy who sold it to you,
    he sold it, got it cheaper, made more money, so he is your support agent,
    With XP activation, the wpa checks around 10 different devices from amount of ram, to maximum installable ram, nic devices and mac address, hard disk and the serial number of the hard disk, and a few more.
    then is mankes a crazy checksum, and it and your 25char number(sticker) are stored in the big microsoft activation database
    XP corporate does not have any activation, it's the only form that doesn't afaik, and no-one really has it
    i think, retail is for 2 computers, but retail is supposed (licensed) to be for a desktop pc, and a laptop

Advertisement