Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reinstall Windows XP without product activation

• 23-11-2004 3:55pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Found this - might be of some use to someone....
    http://sniptools.com/vault/reinstall-windows-xp-without-product-activation.htm
    If you have successfully activated the OS already, and if you are reinstalling it on the existing hardware, this trick should do just fine. Here it is:

1. Copy the file c:\windows\system32\wpa.dbl to a floppy.
    2. Reinstall Windows XP.
    3. Boot to a DOS disk if you are using FAT, or to the Recovery Console if using NTFS.
    4. Copy the file from the first step above back to c:\windows\system32.
    5. That's it - because all of your hardware is the same as before, your copy of WinXP is still valid according to the previous activation.

:Batch file to Backup Activation codes.
    md wpa
    net view | find "\\">NetView.txt
    for /F "delims=\ " %%i in (NetView.txt) do Copy "\\%%i\admin$\system32\wpa.dbl" wpa\%%i.dbl

Advertisement