Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

excel enigma - please help

• 23-11-2004 4:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭

Hi I have a question about excel:

is it possible to paste from one column to another without deleting over the contents of the column your pasting to, for example in column a I have have forenames of all my contacts and in col b i have the surnames i need both names together in col a, i have 200 names so you see i dont fancy individual pasting or having to type them either surely this can b done

anyone know?????????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Could you not create a new column before the one you want to avoid pasting over and paste into that instead?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Copy Column a and B into Notepad, Copy from Notepad and paste back into excel.
    If that does not work, copy A and B into Notepad, save Notepad file. Open Notepad file in excel and ensure to arrange the columns in the window that opens asking for this info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

If you have access, you could paste append the columns to a database table, then query it and copy and paste the results.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

in c2 put in the formula (something like =a2&" "&b2 )
    when done you could copy the new cells and then paste special values and untick the formulas if you want the pure text.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

cheers, did the notepad thing it worked and saved me a lot of hassle, didn't understand the suggestion from captn midnight as i'm qiute new to excel as you prob guessed buts thanks anyway

• Advertisement
Advertisement