Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone Rip Off Their Irish 3G customers.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Irish people send near 3.7 billion messages a year..

25 billion text messages were send in the UK last year..

UK : Ireland SMS Ratio (billions)
    25 : 3.7

UK : Ireland Population Ratio (millions)

60 : 4

Once again, pretty conclusive proof that us Irish just use our phone considerably more!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

Ireland:
    NYE 22 million SMS and MMS messages sent : 3 - 3.5 million customers

anyone got a breakout of those figures for actual number of MMS sent

I have been trying to get it myself.. Mind you, can't imagine it being near 10%..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

JTG , you just made a very good case why TXT Messages in Ireland should cost a lot less than in the UK , about half in fact.

Thoughts :)

M

I am not getting into the economics of it..

However, it does prove that we do use our phones more..

Ironically, if you check the tariff tables in this very thread, you will see that SMSs are cheaper here!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

JTG you should do a thesis with all you know on tariffs at this stage. ;)

And aren't landline calls more expensive because of call termination charges? Imposed by your favourite crowd Muck? :p I suppose it all comes back to Eircom. Let's just stick to Eircom bashing - they are much easier targets! :D

I suppose it all comes back to Eircom. Let's just stick to Eircom bashing - they are much easier targets! :D

Works for me :p

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Let's not forget that Eircom have priced land lines such that mobile phones don't seem all that more expensive, if they had to drop line rental/rates to EU/OECD norms would it stop people leaving land lines ?

ESB had record years for new connections in the last two years
    Depsite the numbers of new houses the number of residential land lines is dropping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

And aren't landline calls more expensive because of call termination charges? Imposed by your favourite crowd Muck? :p I suppose it all comes back to Eircom. Let's just stick to Eircom bashing - they are much easier targets! :D

Voodoofone are indisputably less scummy than Eircom o amusing one.

Landline calls are dearer than the difference between BT terminaton in the UK and Eircom termination here and the added differences in VAT (17.5% UK and 21% Ireland) when both factors are aggregated.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭d-j-k

Finally.. :)

[/...x-files music]

Mannesman Group never had anything to do with Vodafone Ireland (formerly eircell). It was sold by eircom directly to Vodafone PLC (UK) and is 100% owned by them and operated as a subsiduary company.

Mannesman's mobile phone operations in Germany were taken over by Vodafone PLC shortly after they purchased eircell while they were on their aquisitional rampage across Europe.

Vodafone also has "Associates" e.g. SFR in France which are usually partially owned by Vodafone PLC and sell vodafone's products e.g. "Vodafone Live!"

• Advertisement

d-j-k wrote:
    Mannesman Group never had anything to do with Vodafone Ireland (formerly eircell). It was sold by eircom directly to Vodafone PLC (UK) and is 100% owned by them and operated as a subsiduary company.

Mannesman's mobile phone operations in Germany were taken over by Vodafone PLC shortly after they purchased eircell while they were on their aquisitional rampage across Europe.

Vodafone also has "Associates" e.g. SFR in France which are usually partially owned by Vodafone PLC and sell vodafone's products e.g. "Vodafone Live!"

I am fully aware of who Mannesman were.. I am also aware that Vodafone have partner networks around the world, SFR for example..

Why are you telling me this though :-/

Thinking back, I may have been trying to be sarcastic.. Cannot even remember..

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

sceptre wrote:
    Didn't they continue to just call the whole thing Vodafone when they took over Mannesmann Mobilfunk?

Ah yes the Mannesmann takeover - the directors went ahead despite vociferous shareholder disapproval. Wasn't there subsequent court action ?

Over here eircon sold off eircell to vodafone almost like they were trying to sell a suppurating sore - " here you take it, yeah whatever you want to offer is grand,ah no we won't try and see if anyone wants to buy it..."

The fastest selloff in the history of the State - or so it appeared to this disgruntled eircon shareholder...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

Thinking back, I may have been trying to be sarcastic..

that sounds pretty true to form alright...

anyhow this thread is going off topic and more suited to the Business / Economy / Finance forum and can be continued there if those taking part want to do so.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement