Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Call of Duty

Options
  • 23-11-2004 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭

Hello everyone, ;)

I am crazy about Call of Duty which I have been playing for over a year now. I have been in a few clans before deciding to create my own (<Alone> Team - Visit http://www.alone.fr.st - Super cool video to download!).

I was wondering who else played this wonderful game online in Ireland? Is there an Irish Call of Duty community (and by Irish I mean Irish, not British!)? I'm pretty sure there is an "Irish Call of Duty Team" and I'd like to know who they are, where they are from, where they train/play... Do people organise CoD LANs in Dublin/Ireland by any chance?

If somebody knows anything about the above, thanks for letting me know! :D

Furthermore, does anybody else think Call of Duty should have its own forum on boards.ie? If you agree, I'll do the necessary to request its creation. Thanks for your views on this! :cool:

Hope to hear from you soon!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

I'm pretty sure there is an "Irish Call of Duty Team"

Theres an Irish clan that have been running for about 9 months now. 1st Infantry Batallion. We a prm (pools realism mod) clan tho. www.1st-ib.net.

75% of the clan is irish. All the officers are and we got a few UK members.

We got a server etc all details on the site.
    Do people organise CoD LANs in Dublin/Ireland by any chance?
    There are no CoD only Lans that i know of. However most of the 1st-ib members go to Gameconand darkside . Cod competitions are generally played at both these events (among a lot of others). Both are in Dublin.

Come along some time if ya'd like but both have just been so could be a while till next one.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

We are a long time Day of Defeat clan |.RaDoX.|.
    This side of Christmas we are forming a COD squad from within DOD members and our rather large community @ www.jarhedz.com .
    We are awaiting spanking new servers before we form which as ive said we will have very soon.
    In the meantime i recomend heat of battle and revolt mods for your COD if you havent already sampled them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Thank you both for your reply! ;)

B-K-DzR: So basically, players in Ireland get servers in the UK and build teams with UK players? That would explain why there are no Irish CoD servers... What is a prm clan exactly?
    Thanks also for the 2 websites in regards to the LANs! Gutted I missed the one in Sandyford on the 13th... I'll make sure to keep looking at these sites in future! By the way, do you know anything about an Irish CoD Team?

Dcully: Never played DoD... Hooked on COD completely! I'm glad to hear you're creating a CoD squad. Hope you're part of it, it's awesome! I have the Revolt mod (pretty cool indeed!) but never heard of the Heat of Battle mod... What is it? Better than Revolt?

B-K-DzR - Dcully: Are you with me to create a Call of Duty section/forum on boards.ie? I think I need 5 people to get accepted...

Thanks again guys! Speak to you soon! :D

but never heard of the Heat of Battle mod... What is it? Better than Revolt?
    I think its a lot better .
    http://www.heatofbattle.net/

Oh and yeah im with you on a COD forum.
    Quite often we get folk on here asking lotsa stuff about COD.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Here here to forum suggestion .

I play a fair bit of Heat of Battle and really enjoy it , feel it's a game that gives a good feeling of satisfaction when you play it well , and like DOD in a lot of respects .

• Advertisement

Hi guys! ;)

Thanks for the link Dcully! I think I'm going to have a closer look at this Heat of Battle mod... Sounds very interesting. :)

Thank you all for supporting the idea of a Call of Duty forum also! I'll start working on it when I get home tonight :D

Better get back to work! Speak to you soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,189 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

So basically, players in Ireland get servers in the UK and build teams with UK players?
    AFAIK the servers are cheaper if you get them from the UK instead of getting them here.

While 1st-IB are an Irish clan (Like BK said, Clan Leader, Deputy Leader and Officers are all Irish) they still have English players as they need to make up the numbers (there's not a huge amount of people who play COD in Ireland - the clan would dwindle otherwise), and also, like every other clan in the world, there's a few Dutch thrown in for good measure :D - Not 100% Irish I agree, but do they really need to be?

A PRM clan is a clan that plays realism mainly. PRM is a mod which changes certain things about the game, such as the amount of nades carried, the speed you run at, nade cooking/priming and so on, basically making the game more "realistic" - you should play on 1st-IB's server (or another with PRM, there's quite a few of them) and try out PRM. I personally find it better than "regular" COD.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭TheDuke

(and by Irish I mean Irish, not British!)

it's Europe m8... need to come to terms with it... I'm from Arian stock and live in Ireland :D

I lov's CoD me... just had another great night with the addon.

I'm gonna check out the reality option as the more real the better I think, only that from where I am the ping can suck... on my 64kb ISDN line... nope, unfortumately not one of the 100k's broadband customer and not for a long while.

As for server hosting, anyone that has tried has never got the numbers and the telecom infrastructure is still too dear... so I'd be supprised if we see gaming server farms on Irish soil for a while. Also, these servers are usually funded by CLANS wanting some dedicated playing space, whilst players like me want everything for fee :rolleyes: ....

As for the extract section on boards... give it a shot... I once tried to get one for MOD but they shot it down.

I prosume you use ASE? I'll stick you in my buddy tracker and shure... we might meet up some night ;)

The Duke : ))

The Duke : ))

Im on 64k isdn and never have any lag on decent servers anywhere in Europe.
    I frequently play on the last outpost US DOD server [we reguarly have challenge matches with them,as some are ex radox members living in US] and ping about 100 to it.

expectation do differ :D

I wouldn't be too existed about 100 - also, the is flux given the number of players- if you keep it to 6 or 8 then all should be fine but the game gets a little dull. Anything from 18 upwards just become un-playable because once the action starts (i.e. a few players are within your viewing area - remember all that data needs to go up and down pretty darn fast) it bogs. That's fine if you 'cannon fodder' is your middle name... ;)

The game is fun at 50 +/- 10 and that just doesn't happen that often.

From a networking prespective I also run through a few pre-historic copper wires before I hit an up-to-date exchange.. so I'd say that'll add a little too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

This prm thing sounds like it could be good. I loved COD online but found it hard when youd be trying to master the rifles (favourite weapons) and the rest of the players are all charging around with thompsons/stg44's/ppsh's jumping all over the place spraying bullets left right and centre like its a Q3A deathmatch. Once i install it on my new system ill keep an eye out for you guys online and have a game sometime :)

I'm one of those bullet spraying lunatics because
    a) my ping and lag sucks
    b) I have a sheit aim
    c) I am usually pissed
    c) a varying combination of a), b) and c)

:D:D:D

although in my defence in the addon mostly go for the G43 or the Russian equivalent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

TheDuke wrote:
    I'm one of those bullet spraying lunatics.
    I HATE you!! :D
    lol..you should try to use the rifles more..such a sense of satisfaction from picking someone off with a headshot from miles away with the K98...mmmmm satisfying

Thank you for your replies! :D

RobertFoster: I figured it would be cheaper to have rent a UK server... Pity though, we'd have a ping advantage on local servers for Clan Base matches and so on...
    I have nothing against mixed clans, I was just wondering if "Irish Only" clans existed. But because there are no language barriers it is normal if you have British and even Dutch members. We're a French clan so we can only have French players (although some French clans have Belgian or Swiss members).
    I knew about PRM but never heard the expression (we call it "mod réaliste"). I'll pop by your server this evening to inflict some pain! lol :p

TheDuke: How you manage to play CoD online with a 64kb ISDN line amazes me! I give out about my EsatBT 512k Broadband Plus connection when my ping is above 50ms! That's why I'm trying to get an IBB "Breeze 1MB Lite" connection cos I don't want a ping above 30ms!
    I do use ASE. What's your CoD name? I'll add you to my buddy list! :)

Dcully: Again, I don't know how you play with a 100ms ping... Must be hard!

I'll try to get this Call of Duty forum created tonight. Thanks for your support and help guys! ;)

Deadwing wrote:
    I HATE you!! :D
    lol..you should try to use the rifles more..such a sense of satisfaction from picking someone off with a headshot from miles away with the K98...mmmmm satisfying

I hear you! The Kar98K is one of my favourite weapons and the Russian equivalent (Mosin) isn't bad either! Head Shot a mile away with moving target is amazingly satisfying hence the endless search for a better ping! Favourite weapon though: MP44. Slow moving I'll admit but as precise as a rifle and nearly as powerful whilst remaining a submachine gun! The perfect weapon!

I don't like (what I call) PPSH noobs that rush stupidly but if you're lagging like hell with a ping of 200ms then you don't have much of a choice... Most are easy enough to kill anyway... ;)

God I better stop talking abou it I'm dying to play but stuck in work! lol :o

Probably nothing more important than spending a bit of time finding the right servers , look for a clan server and then look for clan tags in the names list to see if there are some with admin about . one of the reasons why Radox server was so popular with DOD , you knew you would always get the team play and that assholes would be kicked fairly quickly .

HOB has that team play because the game just doesn't work without it , Scots Guard server is probably the best about with a good ping for us over here .

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Man as soon as I get broadband I'm going have to start participating. Just a few more weeks.

Lads the 100 ping i refer to is the odd time i play on a server in USA lol.
    All other servers i ping between30-80 constant and that includes 32 player games of DOD,COD,CSBF1942,BFV,RO and racing games like GTR,LFS,GPL,N2003.
    Ive had ISDn for almost 2 years and for gaming its fine,downloading is another story.

Soldiers! Atteeeeeeeeeeeeeeeennntion! :D

As announced today on this thread, I have requested a Call of Duty Forum to be created. If you would like to support me on this, please let boards.ie know by replying to my post on this thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=204717

Thanks a million and fingers crossed! ;)

done :)

• Advertisement

Good man jonski! Really appreciate! :D

Steffano2002: How you manage to play CoD online with a 64kb ISDN line amazes me!

the answer is simple - NO CHOICE :(

The ping in general is good 40-80 (optimised my system to the kilt - so tight that barely anything will run stable on the machine :D ) but that is not the issue.

The real problem is that when you go in for the kill there is usually thre or more and most likely shooting back and then the bandwidth hits the limit (i.e. if I stood accross from you in a CoD session and we did a little jumping a mellee punsh ups we'd probably have the same ping - isdn will use the same back bone as DSL does it's just the pipe into my house that aint big enough) and it is at that point the guys like you are x2 as fast as me so if I don;t spray the blx out of the place with big fkn guns there's little change... and that when the fun stops... for both of us I see :eek:
    Steffano2002: lol..you should try to use the rifles more..such a sense of satisfaction from picking someone off with a headshot from miles away with the K98

at 30 constant I would but I barely hit stuff with my shoulder stapped 88 :D
    PPSH noobs that rush stupidly but if you're lagging like hell with a ping of 200ms

how dare you insult me like that... my ping is never that high ... :D;)... lol

Btw, I play as The Duke... I prosume u're steffano then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

Folks, Haven't got the game, is it any good? I like Medal Of Honor, is it as good or better?

moved from MOH to CoD.. allot better but you do need a half decent graphics card to make it worth while... DX9 compatible.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

aigh cod rules

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

B-K-DzR: So basically, players in Ireland get servers in the UK and build teams with UK players?
    Well the clan started with just Irish players. We then recruicted some dutch and UK peeps. The dutch have now left with 19 irish members and 6 UK based players (ones an ausie).
    Uk servers are so much cheaper. We tried to see how much it would cost to get an Irish one but the hosting companies would only give us x amount of bandwidth before charging per mb. This would mean the server wouldnt have been affordable. Also having an english server means clans are less likely to complain about playing on it.
    That would explain why there are no Irish CoD servers... What is a prm clan exactly?
    Only irish servers are hosted by Esat (or used to be..). They probably been tkaing down now due to lack of use.

Prm changes the following things (among others). varying run speeds depending on weapon in hand. Lowered the ammo count for each weapon. A good rifle shot will now kill in shot (ie upper torso/head). Nades are primable for up to 3 secs making them a skill to use.
    Basically makes it more fun imo :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

By the way stefano there is a LAN on in gorey run by 1st batalion guys, i think its invite only but you could try ask them nicelly if its not already full up! They dont knly play COD there but its the predominant game there. Alwaya great COD matches there. I think its up on www.room101.org its called gorey LAN 2

BolBill wrote:
    Folks, Haven't got the game, is it any good? I like Medal Of Honor, is it as good or better?

Well I never played MoH but CoD is simply AWESOME! Buy the Special Edition containing CoD and United Offensive and then download the 2 MODs Revolt and Heat of Battle and you have 4 fantastic games for (around) €50 EUR!

Trust me, buy it, you won't regret it. ;)

B-K-DzR: Went onto your server earlier but only 1 player of your clan was on your server. And the map was Depot so I left after a couple of rounds only (not a fan of that map). :D I checked out your MOD and I liked it! Didn't find it extremelly realistic (I hate when a single pistol bullet kills you straight away) so I'll be visiting you again soon!

We should arrange a scrim between your clan and mine! Although we only have a few player (6 at the moment). And yes, we're all French! ;) You guys on CB by the way?

So Irish servers are out of the question... It's a real pity as I wouldn't be giving out about my ping then! I saw a few IOL servers some time ago but nobody was ever on them... And now they're gone. :(

• Advertisement

spooky donkey: Thanks. Thanks a million!

I visited the website briefly and I'll be asking them soon if I can join them! Didn't figure out where was the LAN taking place though... :confused:

Thanks again! :D

Advertisement