Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ire Vs. Arg

• 23-11-2004 7:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭

Same team as SA. Could we be in trouble?
    Dempsey at full back(still questioning that,not a Dempsey fan)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

daveirl wrote:

As much as i can't stand Easterbunny (I didn't see the shocker he apparently had against USA)....where is a viable alternative?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

daveirl wrote:

I've watched his pass disintergrate under pressure for the last two seasons.... i thought o riodan was the solution except his pass is terrible now and his confidence is shattered.

Wales, Scotland, england and france, each have 2 scrumhalves who would walk into the irish team....what the hell is wrong. Maybe we should stick BOD in there....he played their at school!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 328 ✭✭Alanm

daveirl wrote:

I would have to agree.. Easterby can't even get a game for Leinster, yet makes it into the irish squad (and starts). O'Meara has played reasonably well for Leinster so far this season and surely deserves a chance?

Not going to comment on Dempsey, I think he does a pretty good job - although a more attacking full back would be nice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

Dave we have one of the best full backs in the game and wheres he playing?On the Wing.

Move Horgan to wing(or leave him there) and drop Dempsey and bring in Magggs or Anthony Horgan or T.Bowe or about a million other players.
    Just dont see Dempsey as an attacking option.
    (do you remember against SA,his gammy pass to Hickie-behind hickie)
    If that had been Murph no contest it would have been a try for sure.

Also Easterby on the bench i really starting to question that.What did Conor O'Shea say 40 matches 30 of them from the bench :rolleyes:
    Unfortuanetly he desnt have the speed,but will give him his sniping is quite good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

As myself and Ruggiebear were discussing at the SA game, Dempsey is a safe pair of hands, he's a monster tackle, fearless under the high ball and he's a decent boot on him. As an attacker he's nowhere though. murphy would be my choice too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

o driscoll as far as i know only played scrum half in school in Transition year for the Senior Team (when he was 15/16 when the rest were 18/19).

what's the story with humpfreys and not singing the irisih national anthem? he was singing ireland's call. little easterby was singing both as was most of the squad. missed maggs thou.

so are therre any reasons for this (political etc.) or he just wasn't or doesnt?

anyone know?

3-0 bad start

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Worst I've seen Ireland play in ages...always a yard short and no handling skill. The Pumas have a plan and its working.

Mike.

• Advertisement

grand theft ruggerby.

puma's are fouling, dirty cheating gits thou.

17.17 on the button. WE WON :D

Have to say sh*te class by the Irish but we showed just why we are as good as we are.No matter what we stood up and were counted.
    Hats off to all 22.Brilliant game.
    ROG just chilled personfied.O'Connell,Kelly,Foley,Easterby,O'Connor,Miller, the MEN of the match.
    Don't care what is said they kept us in the match.Every 50/50 ball we were there no questions,body mind and soul.

Irelands Call :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭whatalanger

O'Gara was a lifesaver yet again (remember his drop goal in Cardiff a while back). Some of the tackling was shocking in the first half, especially for the try. I think we underestimated the Argentinians going into the game and that showed in the first half.

On another note, it's always nice to see England beaten at home by their cousins from down under. Also, is it me or does anyone else think that Andy Robinson looks like the Hood from the Thunderbirds

not from roi, what's that got to do with anything specifically.

i wont even begin were that is wrong. i'm not even going to labour this with further replies.

a bigot:One who is strongly partial to one's own group, religion, race, or politics and is intolerant of those who differ.

how exactly?

i just wanted to know what hump's stance was? whether he thought Amhrain na bhFiann was inappropriate for the irish rugby team or because he didn't do irish in school he wasn't comfortable singing it. or just didnt sing it. how u went from that to "bit bigotted" i don't know.

as i said i don't care.

• Advertisement

no actually. i was refering to your comments. not his view points. unless dave irl is dave humpfreys im certainly not "intolerant of Humphrey's decision", in fact, i still remain unaware of the reasoning of his decision. so can we just drop this now daveirl. unless u can answer my q. why dh doesnt sing the irish national anthem. i don't want ur speculation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ah Dave leave it, you just can't talk to some ppl about this subject!

Mike.

are you trying to say that humph considers himself Northern Irish and lets say british as opposed to irish. Cause if you would have just said that i wouldn't be having this conversation. you said it's because he's from Ni, but plenty of ppl born in NI consider themselves and are irish.

so just to clarify, i wasnt critising dh's britishness i just wasn't aware he was and daveirl just muddled things up more.

Was about to tear into that subject about Humphs but i think Dave has a good point.All be it a shame and bit of a mockery to the Irish Team but still we do it to the English,that guy that plays Rugby League for Eng but has played for Ireland.

Anyways lads lads,Don't get caught up in politics there is no point at all.It was a smashing match and Ireland really showed true courage and potential and i for one am dead proud of them!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

All around the cobbler's bench
    The monkey chased the weasel
    The monkey thought 'twas all in fun
    Pop -- goes the weasel!
    Johnny's got the whooping cough and
    Mary's got the measles
    That's the way the money goes
    Pop -- goes the weasel!

Just in case. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

what's the story with humpfreys and not singing the irisih national anthem? he was singing ireland's call.
    so are therre any reasons for this (political etc.) or he just wasn't or doesnt?

anyone know?

The fact that he's from NI just might be a clue Kev. He probably never learnt it at school for a start, and who gives a sh1te about his political leanings, he's a great sportsman. Ireland's call is the official song AFAIK, Amhran na bhFhiann just happens to be the anthem of a subset of the 32 counties. Like, duh....

"The fact that he's from NI just might be a clue Kev. "

Yes it was a clue but by no means a definitive answer. State the obvious twice why dont you...... idiot.

"He probably never learnt it at school for a start"

I did mention this already or did you not read the thread. This wouldnt explain why guy easterby was singing it.

', and who gives a sh1te about his political leanings, "

i was just wondering that's all. and his political leanings are relevant in as much as any other sport's mans are (very little but more than jo-schmo).

"he's a great sportsman. "

was this ever in dispute? state the obvious again?

"Ireland's call is the official song AFAIK, Amhran na bhFhiann just happens to be the anthem of a subset of the 32 counties. "

you're point being exactly?

"Like, duh...."

Ehh, I think the duh is on you cos you just paraphrased what daveirl or i said. so thanks for wasting my time.

Obviously this subject has been thrased around a bit on boards or somewhere similar and i just put my foot in it. My question was just curiousity and it means nothing to me what dh sings or doesnt sign. I got the answer i wanted, although it took a lot more effort than i thought. this is obvious to anyone that actually read what i wrote but the sporting integrity of dh was never in question nor his commitment or contribution to sport on this island. it was never my intention to discuss the merits of any dicesions or polices of dh i merely wanted to know what they were. nor was it my intention to spark some kind of debate or mud slinging.

finally i've spoken too much on this subject (feel free to quote) and I won't be bothering ye with similar questions in future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭DUB

Being from the north I think he has every right to sing the anthem or not. I'm not going to say I know exactly why he doesn't, but I think we could all have a reasonable guess. Why do you care anyway?

As for the match did someone say it was a cracker? I thought it was a butte of a game. Probably the worst I've seen since the last time we played Argentina, whatever it is about their 'style' it really doesn't suit ours.

• Advertisement

Advertisement