Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ire Vs. Arg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭accensi0n

..........rugby

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

Gonna field a few things here - When we have players born in the SH they dont know the anthem because they never learnt it,fair enough,they all sing Irelands call dont they.

Does look bad,but as above dont mix politics with rugby it leaves a bitter taste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

"seo libh canaidh amhráin na bhfiann" so if he doesn't consider himself of the fenian tribe he doesn't sing it. Whatever TBH, he wants to wear the green he's welcome as far s most of us are concerned.

Unless you claim to be completely ignorant of the entire northern situation then you should have some vague idea whats going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Shut up shut up shut up. My head hurts. Talk about the rugby.

--

Daylight robbery doesn't even begin to describe that game :)

They were a bunch of foulers though - I was disappointed with Spreadbury, I thought he did a hell of a lot better in other games I've seen him ref.

Good to meet some of you guys yesterday! Sorry if I wasn't speaking too coherently towards the latter part of the evening, the hipflask of Black Bush at the game didn't help :)

Al.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭DUB

just reading about the gouging going on during the match, again. :mad: surely this needs to be stamped out? should the irfu arrange friendlies against the pumas if they are going to resort to that kind of thing?

After the last few meetings I cant see how we could have underestimated them, I think their strengths play up against our weaknesses, had us badly ont he back foot for the first half.

Is Ronan O Gara maturing into one of the best in the world?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

yeah ronan o gara is really impressive. i think humps best rugby is behind him. although it's brillant to have that talent as a reserve i still think we need to start bleeding in the new outhalf talent. not really been anyone within a sniff of a start in that position. few lads in the provincial reserves and a few in uk (harlequins) but i think we should start looking to the future. get the likes of new kid a playing against the lieks of usa/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

but i think we should start looking to the future. get the likes of new kid a playing against the lieks of usa/

was thinking the same myself this morning. Never satisfied are we. But truth is we are really exposed by any injuries on teh back line at the moment. and need to start developing the players

i'd say if rog and hump get injured (god forbid) we'd be playing o driscoll or murphy in there. speaking of injuries, what's the story with paul burke, i hope he wasnt badly injured didnt read anything on it.

i'd say if rog and hump get injured (god forbid) we'd be playing o driscoll or murphy in there. speaking of injuries, what's the story with paul burke, i hope he wasnt badly injured didnt read anything on it.

Would have to Murph,the guy can play anywhere.
    Tony Spredbury my hero,think that was a tough match to ref in all honesty.
    Pichot is bitchin about BOD telling the ref give out a yellow card :mad:
    Whats he bitchin about,some of the best professional fouls were evident yesterday and Spreadbury was very slow to show yellow.

Come onlike collapsing mauls diving in,playing on the ground-i can go on and on.
    In terms of looking to the future-just look at each provence and your answer is ther,mosr evident Leamy,Keogh,Bowe all going to be Irelands next greats

• Advertisement

daveirl wrote:

I dont think the lads would make that sort of stuff up would they? I would have thought gouging usually escapes the cameras? Anyway aparently five players said they were gouged, 4 in the eye and one in the mouth. Something was winding O'Driscoll up anyway he seemed close to loosing it on a couple of occasions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The Argies have tended to play dirty to bridge the quality gap down the years.

Speaking of carrying on, is it me or is Peter Stringer always looking for a fight?!

Mike.

he's a sh, starting fights is what they do isnt it?

gouging is nasty. was it happening in the scrums or in rucks/mauls or loose?

i'd like to see big bans for cases wth evidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

mike65 wrote:

Speaking of carrying on, is it me or is Peter Stringer always looking for a fight?!

Mike.

Small man syndrome.....also known as the begbie effect :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I agree that over the years the Argentinians have always had a Bad rep for gouging.
    However my personal opinion is that this is a smokescreen put out to try and disguise a very poor performance.
    The Irish scrum was shambolic , even with Longo the number 8 off they still shunted the pack.
    Ireland was very lucky to escape with a Wilkonsonesque win.
    Stringer was lucky not to have been shown a yellow for repeatedly delaying at the put-in.

re the delayed put in, i thought the scumaging players arent supposed to push until the ball is in? therefore stringer had every right not to put in until the scrum was steady?

The rule is: As soon as the front rows come together the Scrum-half must throw the ball in without delay. He must throw when instructed to do so by the Ref.
    Penalty :Free kick.

i stand corrected, was never in the scrum you see! :D

CJhaughey wrote:
    The rule is: As soon as the front rows come together the Scrum-half must throw the ball in without delay. He must throw when instructed to do so by the Ref.
    Penalty :Free kick.

In rule book you will see that the scrum half can delay the put in if the opposing hooker has his foot out too early ;)

what about if the scrum is moving rapidly in the wrong direction?

• Advertisement

Can be a ploy by the opposing team to just step back so it looks like the other team is pushing when they are not.Some refs spot it others dont

ah i see, pardon the ignorance but how exactly does a ref know who is responsible for collapsing a scrum?

do you think the argentinians exposed our pack somewhat? i cant help think hook, while exagerating as usual, was probably right to a degree.

I think to a great deal the reffing at the scrum is wholly dependant on the refs ability to read what is happening, some refs Alain Rolland for one is very good technically at the scrum , same for Paul Honniss others such as Malcolm Changleng are not so good at spotting infringements.(probably helps that Rolland was a scrumhalf)
    Pack exposed? a slight understatement IMHO.

well hook was quite savage in his assessment of the pack callig most of them average. such a shame because that always used to be our strength didnt it, now we actually have a great backline and the forwards arent as good as we usually have. This team to peak in 2 or 3 years?

Hayes, Corrigan and Byrne to peak in 2-3 yrs? I don't think so.
    New blood is needed in the 1st XV or we will lose in the long term, Yeah the backs are good but in test matches you need firepower everywhere.
    EOS would want to have a good scout around for another prop, Horan, Sheahan AN Other might be good.
    Corrigan is probably finished at the end of this season and Hayes still here for RWC 2007?

Corrigan will need to be replaced alright, how old are Byrne and Hayes? Has this team peaked now then? Are there forwards playing for the provinces that could potentially improve on the current set-up?

Its so hard to know who is doing what in the scrum its not funny.The ref has to watch over a few scrums and see who is doing what.

The irish pack can be all over the place at times-really dunno why.
    They have huge power in 4-7 but 1-3 seems to be very loose at times.
    Not having a pop at anyone but Bryne doesnt seem to have a great grip of his props at time.Was a hooker for ages myself-the better the bind the harder it is for the other team.Frankie is smaller i think and that helps as the two props support him better as he binds.
    But who am i to say they have guys paid for this.Aslo ya new blood for the front row needed fast-terrified we could have major injury worries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

That is Argentina's strength, they play a very tight game and don't give away possession easily.When players cannot play the way they want (read fast ball for O'Driscoll) they get frustrated and lash out.
    Argentina also contest vigorously at the breakdown, and this is something that the Irish team don't like.
    Massive upper body strength helps with turnovers, look at the turnover ball and you will see that it was extraordinarily high compared to USA or even SA.
    10 week preseason or not maybe the Team should go down south and eat some of that beef that they eat!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Agreed 100% with CJ.

Advertisement