Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ire Vs. Arg

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

CJhaughey wrote:
    Argentina also contest vigorously at the breakdown, and this is something that the Irish team don't like.

While agree with most of that, i think Argentina are totally illegal at the breakdown.....Ireland should have won the game by about 20points as we should have had that many penalties and the argentinians would have had so many yellow cards...pity that muppet Spreadbury decided to let them ruin the game...Also note how the pumas defended rucks by having two blockers in off side positions allowing their one up runners an extra split second....

Having said that......imagine what Ireland could do to world rugby if we had puma front row :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

RuggieBear wrote:
    ...Also note how the pumas defended rucks by having two blockers in off side positions allowing their one up runners an extra split second....

Oh you beaut.Had forgotten that point,it wrecked my head that did.Thanx for bringing it up. So illegal its not funny.Arg are good at it.
    lThere are ways around cheaters like that.Try running into them flat out and clip them in the back of ankles,they wont be long moving :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I need to see this game on tv.

Trojan wrote:
    I need to see this game on tv.

Ditto....i only managed to see a few highlights on BBC this afternoon....and they were pretty poor.... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

As Regards the Front Row. I think we are in serious need of a new 1 and 3, corrigan and Hayes are not very mobile around the field in the loose. you need mobile props in the modern game, look at Wales, Argentina, New Zealand. all there props are fantastic with ball in hand. when is the last time you seen Hayes take the ball on? We were creamed in the scrum against Argentina. we need to sort the prop problem out. dynamic props who can scrummage and take the ball on are a necessity in the professional game now. IMHO

• Advertisement

evilhomer wrote:
    As Regards the Front Row. I think we are in serious need of a new 1 and 3, corrigan and Hayes are not very mobile around the field in the loose. you need mobile props in the modern game, look at Wales, Argentina, New Zealand. all there props are fantastic with ball in hand. when is the last time you seen Hayes take the ball on? We were creamed in the scrum against Argentina. we need to sort the prop problem out. dynamic props who can scrummage and take the ball on are a necessity in the professional game now. IMHO

agreed but we don't have any coming thru at all and we'll probably end up looking for foreighners with irish blood....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

daveirl wrote:

Well one thing i did notice on the big screen at the match was that BOD seemed to try and throw an uppercut that missed and the tried to shoulder a player before the ref chatted to him and calmed him down....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

RuggieBear wrote:
    agreed but we don't have any coming thru at all and we'll probably end up looking for foreighners with irish blood....
    Hang on just one second there , We have a very mobile prop called Marcus Horan who is coming on well , I would say he will be ready soon enough.
    He is a prototypical example of the new breed of mobile prop, he just needs a bit more practice against the likes of Craig Dowd.

CJhaughey wrote:
    Hang on just one second there , We have a very mobile prop called Marcus Horan who is coming on well , I would say he will be ready soon enough.
    He is a prototypical example of the new breed of mobile prop, he just needs a bit more practice against the likes of Craig Dowd.

So funny,watch him run next time flat out next time,HEad tucksinto the shoulders and he grits his teeth its like a hign speerd bowling ball with a class swerve when he needs it.

Will be an excellent international prop :D

• Advertisement

He is pretty fast , I remember him scoring a beauty against Stade Francais last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

That's right, from about 20 yards out too :)

CJhaughey wrote:

I'm afraid i have to disagree about Horan....i think he is brilliant in the loose but he can't scrummage to save his life. With Himself and Corrigan prop'ing, Our scrum can't provide proper quality ball consistently...and as a consequnece stringer is under pressure and the opp openside is ready and primed to attack ROG...

the english try dawson scored against us last year was a consequence of a ****e scrum...

Not sure if it is Horan's size, technique, strength or whatever.... but I'd fancy my chances against him!

CJhaughey wrote:
    He is pretty fast , I remember him scoring a beauty against Stade Francais last year.

That was quality.....having said that....that Bokke prop Bands scored a beaut a few seasons back...still my fav try!:)

You honestly think that about Horan :confused:
    How come the scrum is alright for Munster.Harping back to the Bryne thing above.Not doubting his ability in the least but some of its his fault.

Marcus Horan is only young, he will (hopefully) mature into a better scrummager than he is now. Most Props play the best rugby in their 30's , it takes that long to get good technique and mental toughness.
    I have lots of confidence in him, we just need to clone him.
    Hayes is just a little too tall to be a really effective prop.
    I feel that the scrum is kind of unbalanced with him being so tall.

Nukem wrote:
    You honestly think that about Horan :confused:
    How come the scrum is alright for Munster.Harping back to the Bryne thing above.Not doubting his ability in the least but some of its his fault.
    sorry!
    I think Frankie might be a better scrummager alright...but i'm afraid i'm going to disagree about the Munster scrum too...much like Irelands, it survives, no more!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

The problem in our front row is simple I think. We have no replacement, well we have Horan but the carney is very slow to blood new players or bring on replacements, last 5 minute run ons when we have games won. The Bull has played every Irish game since the begining of time, we're fecked in the HEC without The Bull so he gets very little rest time. If we took the time to bring in our fringe players, ala Justin Fitzpatrick, Simon Best, Frankie and Horan. Rotated these players in the front row we'd have a much fresher Bull, Corrigan and Bryne.

CJhaughey wrote:
    Marcus Horan is only young, he will (hopefully) mature into a better scrummager than he is now. Most Props play the best rugby in their 30's , it takes that long to get good technique and mental toughness.

Normally, i'd agree with that but look at Clohessy....when he got old he moved from tighthead to loosehead as LH is easier....

I'd like to think that 5/6 seasons playing at the top would hone him into a decent scrummaging prop.....i just haven't seen the evidence yet :(
    I have lots of confidence in him, we just need to clone him.
    Hayes is just a little too tall to be a really effective prop.
    I feel that the scrum is kind of unbalanced with him being so tall.

I agree....i think hayes gets by on strength alone (and by god he must be one strong bastard).

GreenHell wrote:
    The problem in our front row is simple I think. We have no replacement, well we have Horan but the carney is very slow to blood new players or bring on replacements, last 5 minute run ons when we have games won. The Bull has played every Irish game since the begining of time, we're fecked in the HEC without The Bull so he gets very little rest time. If we took the time to bring in our fringe players, ala Justin Fitzpatrick, Simon Best, Frankie and Horan. Rotated these players in the front row we'd have a much fresher Bull, Corrigan and Bryne.

But EOS can't rest them coz the drop in standard would leave the team in serious trouble....

having said that.....Fitzpatrick survived in France for a few years.....so he can't be as bad a i remember.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

RuggieBear wrote:
    But EOS can't rest them coz the drop in standard would leave the team in serious trouble....

having said that.....Fitzpatrick survived in France for a few years.....so he can't be as bad a i remember.

there was an article in one of teh wknd papers interviewing him. Seemed to be doing ok

I think it would have been worth dropping the bull for the USA game and bringing Simon Best. It'll have to be done at some stage the bull can't keep going forever and we're going to have another Keith Wood style retirement on our hands if we over use him.

GreenHell wrote:
    I think it would have been worth dropping the bull for the USA game and bringing Simon Best. It'll have to be done at some stage the bull can't keep going forever and we're going to have another Keith Wood style retirement on our hands if we over use him.

Totally agree....it's a joke that EOS doesn't rest some of the players. Mind you if we fluke a grand slam this season....he will be vindicated for shortening the career span of his players :(

Have to concede EOS has been doing very little in the way of finding new front rows.

But like wine i belive front rows get better with age. Examples have to be Corrigan,The Claw and the Bull. Really think what these guys brought to the game is the mobility factor.I dont care who ya follow or what those guys off the ball are immense in support.

Prime example is Bull and Corrigan crashing into about 2 people each and clearing man and ball giving a platform for the half backs

Trouble is thought, there is fall more pressure on the Bull given his enormous frame and he never misses a game. His contribution in the loose will fade as the season pans out.

Just read this.Thought it was a nice comment from someone who was an Irish critic, just shows we are actually being recognized as a Rugby nation now Click Here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

Advertisement