Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new sports centre?

Options
  • 23-11-2004 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭

just wondering when(if ever!), were actually going to get a new sports centre, they's always a funny smell from the luce!

i thought we were getting new society rooms in the old luce building.

have they actually even started building it? :confused:

Comments

have they actually even started building it?

....................Nope

Eh, maybe that funny smell is sweat?? I heard the luce was meant to be either a society cavern or a beer tavern (aka student centre) - but that's a good while back so I can't really be sure...

[edit]

Oh, and there was a sports centre levy (£50) that was put on all students for 4 years about...8-4 years ago, which raised over £200,000, to be used in the construction of a sports centre, which...never happened. Money is still there. That's why some people get reduced membership of the gym (though it should be more/free)

[/edit]

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

hmm, i wish they'd build a swimming pool/leisure centre or something, then we could go to jacuzzis and steam rooms on fridays after lectures!

snorlax wrote:
    hmm, i wish they'd build a swimming pool/leisure centre or something, then we could go to jacuzzis and steam rooms on fridays after lectures!

There's discounted swimming for students at the Markievicz Pool and others.

Only at certain times though methinks...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Ace_Rimmer wrote:

Oh, and there was a sports centre levy (£50) that was put on all students for 4 years about...8-4 years ago, which raised over £200,000, to be used in the construction of a sports centre, which...never happened. Money is still there.

I heard that all the money was spent drawing up plans and architect drawing s and stuff.....I paid that mother****ing IR£50 for 4 years and got ****ing nothing for it.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Thraktor

The only viable place to build a new sports centre (which I belive is what they were proposing), is to build it under the college green/rugby pitch, which would cost substantially more than €250,000. I'd imagine they're still trying to get more funds, I wouldn't be surprised if this gym membership fee was just another method of getting money out of us.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

scrap the rugby pitch? scrap the cricket pitch? just posting an idea not my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

Thraktor wrote:
    The only viable place to build a new sports centre (which I belive is what they were proposing), is to build it under the college green/rugby pitch, which would cost substantially more than €250,000. I'd imagine they're still trying to get more funds, I wouldn't be surprised if this gym membership fee was just another method of getting money out of us.
    ye wha?
    what about that big blank space by the corner of pearse street and westland row? arn't they due to start construction after xmas? they had to revise plans of a basement because irishrail lodged a complaint that it might do structural damage to their bridge there.

scrap the rugby pitch? scrap the cricket pitch? just posting an idea not my opinion.
    Other than the cricket pitch is great for drink'n i'd agree, tho moving it down and just getting rid of the soccer pitch wouldn't be too bad an idea imo. never going to lose rugby or cricket in tcd.................

Ah but then you get rid of the grass running track too. No such thing as half a track!

For a building like a gym, it wouldn't be open 24/7. So why do we need it on campus? College is planning a major renovation of the entire face of Pearse Street anyways, and there are a lot of derelict sites on Pearse Street that could do with a major overhaul. Like that building that has painted on windows and strangely new wooden doors. There looks more then enough floorspace there to sustain a gym, and to keep all the academics happy, a few offices on the top floor too.

So, why not build it there?

whats wrong with the big open space tcd already own donal?

and sure can just do a UL on it and give em an indoor running track

• Advertisement

Nothing, was just thinking of possibilities ian should there be more of a fuss kicked up, and replied since others were mentioning about how it could be built inside college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

Hey,

if it's not on campus it has to be damn close. and a university gym isnt just a big floor space with some weights.

you need a large space. fit in basketball, badminton, volleyball etc. judo!
    you need a weights room.
    a room for the treadmils and rowers and bikes etc.
    where we put the boxing ring?
    running tracks? hammer and javlin?
    pool, sauna, jacusi etc.
    squash. table tennis. lots and lots of stuff
    listen, we need 50 mil and fast.

lol, just tell em that some upty college down the country has better facilities n someone's bound to find the cash...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

RuggieBear wrote:
    I heard that all the money was spent drawing up plans and architect drawing s and stuff.....I paid that mother****ing IR£50 for 4 years and got ****ing nothing for it.....
    I hear your pain. What about all of us graduates who paid the frakking levies for our four years? While the frak aren't we getting a discount or free membership
    :mad: Bloody nerve of them taking our money and us getting nothing.

Oh and I heard the same thing Ruggie. Bloody Provost probably bought him and his mates caivar and champagne with it :mad:

ixoy wrote:
    I hear your pain. What about all of us graduates who paid the frakking levies for our four years? While the frak aren't we getting a discount or free membership
    :mad: Bloody nerve of them taking our money and us getting nothing.

Oh and I heard the same thing Ruggie. Bloody Provost probably bought him and his mates caivar and champagne with it :mad:

I know....still a little bit bitter about it tbh.....remember there was a furore in the SU about it but in the end student apathy allowed the ****ing college board inflict the charge on us....:confused:

[offtopic]lol... is that "frak" as in "fuck" from the BSG ;)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

RuggieBear wrote:
    I know....still a little bit bitter about it tbh.....remember there was a furore in the SU about it but in the end student apathy allowed the ****ing college board inflict the charge on us....:confused:
    Yup. I was involved for a bit in the SU and I recall it. Of course we did nothing and got screwed over. I seriously feel like venting a letter of complaint. It's not that I'd necessarily use the gym - it's that I should have the option of it...
    Judging by your DOB you were probably there for around the period I was '97-'01 so you know my anger. Grrr! If I start bitching I'll move on to the Hamilton library staff and then I'll be here all day....
    [offtopic]lol... is that "frak" as in "fuck" from the BSG ;)
    Yup :D I'm a moderator of a sci-fi forum on a web message board. I can revel in my nerdness here. Plus the boards censor doesn't pick it up!

ixoy wrote:
    Yup. I was involved for a bit in the SU and I recall it. Of course we did nothing and got screwed over. I seriously feel like venting a letter of complaint. It's not that I'd necessarily use the gym - it's that I should have the option of it...
    Judging by your DOB you were probably there for around the period I was '97-'01 so you know my anger. Grrr! If I start bitching I'll move on to the Hamilton library staff and then I'll be here all day....

More or less....1996-2000 undergrad and phd 2002-2005(?:eek:). Never really went to the hamilton...usually stayed in the freeman...

ixoy wrote:
    Yup :D I'm a moderator of a sci-fi forum on a web message board. I can revel in my nerdness here. Plus the boards censor doesn't pick it up!

Been watching it religiously with my bro and only noticed them using Frak last week.... :o Now i can't help but laugh everytime i hear it.... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dublinguy2003

The students contributed £2m and not 200k.

The SU voted 2:1 in favour of the 4 year levy in 1997.

The sports center that is to be built any year now is completely different to the 1997 design.

The 'state of the art' sports center will be crap compared to that of UL, DCU and UCD...

The sports center was supposed to have a 50m pool. It was then downgraded to 33m and now it's a generic 25m pool.

The £2m and more (£4m a conservative estimate) has been spent on three redesigns, planning submissions and consultants fees.

The current design will mean that the historic railings on the northeast corner of college will be taken down as the building goes right up to the footpath - what gives anybody the right to take down these railings? Those railings have been up for hundreds of years and are the definitive boundary of Trinity's campus.

The sports center project is almost in it's 8th year.

What a joke - sack the sports facilities Committee.

Why are the SU so silent?

Oh and the running of the center is to be privatised and opened up to the general public. This means that students who paid for the facility will be expected to share center with members of the general public.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Dublinguy, any word on the rifle range that was a part of the original design for the sports center?

Heh, I wasn't wrong, I said "over £200,000"

But yeah you're right, doing the maths would make it closer to €3M.

I think one of the proposals for the sports centre (should it get built) is that to get money into the college, they will allow non-members of college to join, at a much higher rate then the rest of us.

Can't remember where I heard that the money is still there, just rings a bell somewhere.

Where are you getting this information from dublinguy? Any links, etc?

• Advertisement

Ace_Rimmer wrote:
    But yeah you're right, doing the maths would make it closer to €3M.
    Haha you and maths, quality...

Ssshhhh...

Advertisement