Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help/Advice: Irish Broadband - Breeze 1MB Lite

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

I doubt its in any breach of contract. I bet its in their T&C that they can do it. So far my bittorent speed have been acceptable but I havent use it during the day time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

my bittorent speeds are fine, i dont think they can legally block them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

Guys & Girls,
    I think you may be reading far too much into the ping stats.
    'Ping' sends a UDP (as opposed to TCP) packet to the server whose address address you specify. IBB/Esat/Eircom is only responsible for part of that route. The speed of response can depend on numerous things, such as the route the packet takes to & from the server, how far away the server is in terms of network hops, how busy the server is, how busy the N/W is etc.
    Some servers dont even support 'ping' as it is possible to cause a denial of service using a 'ping flood' - try pinging www.3com.com for example

Also try a number of pings to the same server at different times & notice the variation in response times.

'Ping' is a simple tool used to establish the other machine is:
    - up & running (OS is running)
    - reachable over the N/W from your machine

So your ISP does have some bearing on the response time, but to compare apples with apples, you would really need one of each type of connection side by side & ping at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

FYI ping uses ICMP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

So your ISP does have some bearing on the response time, but to compare apples with apples, you would really need one of each type of connection side by side & ping at the same time.
    I think the ISP has everything to do with the ping, especially when you ping an irish site like boards.ie. Check out all the different pings done to the boards.ie on the various connections, you'll find that generally, for each connection in a pecific connection type, they get exactly the same pings to boards.ie. With some types like IBB VL always being faster.

This is a very good reprensentation of what your ingame ping will be like. The lower the ping result, the lower your ingame ping will be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

I think the ISP has everything to do with the ping, especially when you ping an irish site like boards.ie. Check out all the different pings done to the boards.ie on the various connections, you'll find that generally, for each connection in a pecific connection type, they get exactly the same pings to boards.ie. With some types like IBB VL always being faster.

This is a very good reprensentation of what your ingame ping will be like. The lower the ping result, the lower your ingame ping will be.
    I agree with Mutant_Fruit. I have compared my ping with Drapper on my game server in France and he had a much better ping than myself (he was around 40ms, I was around 70-80ms). We are both located in Dublin and we were on the same server at the same time. The only difference between us was our ISP. I concluded after this little experiment that IBB 1MB has a much better ping than EsatBT 512k...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Anyone got any issues with Video streaming with IBB ?? I can get webstream very good from close Europe/US servers but a big lagg from other locations ............. I know distance is an issue but I've a friend on Eircom and his streaming is btter on a 512 line for foreign sites such as Korea (who put all thier TV programmes on the NET in 300kps quality everyday).............. ??? Anyone experionce this???

BTW my other half is foreign so no smart ass comments ;-)

Drapper wrote:

Why would you want to watch stupid Korean TV shows? :p

Just messing with you Martin! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

Drapper wrote:
    Anyone got any issues with Video streaming with IBB ?? I can get webstream very good from close Europe/US servers but a big lagg from other locations ............. I know distance is an issue but I've a friend on Eircom and his streaming is btter on a 512 line for foreign sites such as Korea (who put all thier TV programmes on the NET in 300kps quality everyday).............. ??? Anyone experionce this???

It probably the bandwith from the server you are streaming. I have streamed a couple of videos myself and found no problems with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭carbsy

Red Alert wrote:
    If IBB do any pesky intrusions into my net traffic i'll be threathening them with breach of contract. Did anyone ever find a difinitive yes/no on whether they do or not?

If you're that worried, just encrypt it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Drapper wrote:
    Without knowing more than the above, its pretty obvious it is not your ISPs working. I doubt they have something in place whereby Asian traffic is purposely slower than European and American links..

To stream from America or Europe, there could be say a certain number of hops involved. To get form Asian, there is probably at least double or tripple the number of hops. The more hops, the greater chance of a delay. Thats a very simple explanation of what happens however.

Time differences may also be a problems. When the Asians are asleep, we are awake. So there may not be much congestion in Asia but the links in Europe will be very busy. When we are sleeping, our links are quiet and theres is busy.. This does not happen so much with America and there is a less of a time difference in most part.

Without knowing more than the above, its pretty obvious it is not your ISPs working. I doubt they have something in place whereby Asian traffic is purposely slower than European and American links..

To stream from America or Europe, there could be say a certain number of hops involved. To get form Asian, there is probably at least double or tripple the number of hops. The more hops, the greater chance of a delay. Thats a very simple explanation of what happens however.

Time differences may also be a problems. When the Asians are asleep, we are awake. So there may not be much congestion in Asia but the links in Europe will be very busy. When we are sleeping, our links are quiet and theres is busy.. This does not happen so much with America and there is a less of a time difference in most part.

thanks m8

Why would you want to watch stupid Korean TV shows? :p

Just messing with you Martin! ;)

Am I gonna win that 50 Euros??? D- day 12 days

D

Drapper wrote:
    Am I gonna win that 50 Euros??? D- day 12 days

D

Probably... I'll ring them today and let you know what's going on... :confused:

Hello everyone,

Just rang the guys at IBB and they confirmed I needed a cherrypicker for the installation. They only have a single one so they are going to ring me back to let me know when it will become available. Fingers crossed!

Furthermore, they told me the Guinness Brewery transmitter (half a mile or so away) was NOT visible from my house (so much for being a "high site"!); but that the Ballymun transmitter (3 miles away!) was. I'm not really happy about this as in my mind, the closer the transmitter, the better the connection. Ah sure we'll see...

This IBB business will either be a dream come through or a living hell. Time will tell... :confused:

Hello everyone,

Just rang the guys at IBB and they confirmed I needed a cherrypicker for the installation. They only have a single one so they are going to ring me back to let me know when it will become available. Fingers crossed!

Furthermore, they told me the Guinness Brewery transmitter (half a mile or so away) was NOT visible from my house (so much for being a "high site"!); but that the Ballymun transmitter (3 miles away!) was. I'm not really happy about this as in my mind, the closer the transmitter, the better the connection. Ah sure we'll see...

This IBB business will either be a dream come through or a living hell. Time will tell... :confused:

Well the technology works up to 8km once signal is strong !!!

Dont worry I live 5km from Ballycoolin and I get a great service !!!

DOes your mobile phone signal woresen furhter from the basestation ? No the IBB service works on a simillar system (line of sight being the only problem).

D

Glad to hear it! But I think they lost their only cherrypicker... :p

Firstly, sorry for not posting sooner with the latest updates!

So what happened I hear you ask... Well, the engineers came out on Thursday 16th December with the cherrypicker. They tried to connect me to the Ballymun transmitter as the Guinness Brewery transmitter was apparently out of range. The signal from the Ballymun transmitter was too weak so things didn't look good. They rang their manager who asked them to try the Guinness Brewery transmitter before leaving and the signal was perfect!

I now have a wonderful 1MB connection with 8:1 contention! :D

Pings for online gaming are great (for Call of Duty: perfect 50ms in France / 25-30ms in the UK). During the day it's crap to be honest with jumps up to 150ms but I only play in the evenings and at week-ends anyway...

Download speeds are satisfactory (haven't downloaded that much so sorry for not providing any figures).

Basically I'm delighted! Thank you IBB! Thank you all for your help and advice! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Firstly, sorry for not posting sooner with the latest updates!

So what happened I hear you ask... Well, the engineers came out on Thursday 16th December with the cherrypicker. They tried to connect me to the Ballymun transmitter as the Guinness Brewery transmitter was apparently out of range. The signal from the Ballymun transmitter was too weak so things didn't look good. They rang their manager who asked them to try the Guinness Brewery transmitter before leaving and the signal was perfect!

I now have a wonderful 1MB connection with 8:1 contention! :D

Pings for online gaming are great (for Call of Duty: perfect 50ms in France / 25-30ms in the UK). During the day it's crap to be honest with jumps up to 150ms but I only play in the evenings and at week-ends anyway...

Download speeds are satisfactory (haven't downloaded that much so sorry for not providing any figures).

Basically I'm delighted! Thank you IBB! Thank you all for your help and advice! ;)

hey Steffano, I'm very glad to hear it worked out fine for you! very happy for you :)

Thanks for keeping me informed pal.

Advertisement