Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox crystal

Options
  • 23-11-2004 9:51pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭

Just purchased the new xbox crystal(as an xmas present)
    i had plans to take the hd out of it and put a western digital 160gb in instead but then a friend of mine told me that you cant do this with the new crystal xbox.Should I bring it back and try and find a shop selling the standard black xbox to do this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭ceejay

I don't think you can do this with any XBox now, if you plan to go on Live. My box got banned because I swapped my original drive that died with a new one. It was an original one, not a Crystal one.

Ciarán.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭JDxtra

What's the advantage in upgrading the standard XBox HD to a massive 160Gb drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

As long as you change the HDD before ever going on live you willnot be banned.

I'm not sure what version of mobo the new crystal xbox uses, if its has not been cracked yet it should be soon. Have a look around the xbox scene forums, you should be able to find out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

its possible but i be3lieve modding the new 1.6 crystal xboxes is a pain in the arse....

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

hmmm,
    thats the only reason i bought an xbox,just do i can put music and films on it and leave it in the sittingroom.....think ill bring it back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭fuse

GaRtH_V wrote:
    hmmm,
    thats the only reason i bought an xbox,just do i can put music and films on it and leave it in the sittingroom.....think ill bring it back

I got a crystal one few weeks ago.
    Have it modded & 80gb drive in it so don't give up :)

http://www.teamxecuter.com/x3/tutorials/x3pin16.htm

Looks fairly easy to me. :rolleyes:

do i have to put a mod chip in aswell if i want to upgrade the hd?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,187 ✭✭✭kensutz

yup

gah,effort,its looks like i can just swop the hds around....no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

GaRtH_V wrote:
    gah,effort,its looks like i can just swop the hds around....no?

think the xbox bios will not recognise bigger harddrives...or something like that....i'm actually just guessing ;)

Its not just as simple as swapping the HDD around but there are some methods of softmod that do not require a chip, but I don't know about them.

hmmm,modding the xbox looks pretty straight forward enough,i think i might make an attempt at it myself.now....whats a soldering iron?;)

I modded my xbox about 2hrs after buying my first ever soldering iron. My D0 point came off when I first tried to start it but after resoldering it it stayed put.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

i modded a crystal last week, was a pain, i fitted a cheapmod, had to cut a trace on the boards, and selotape 1 wire in place, works fine,

found that my old evox disk that i have installed on about 30 boxes gave no joy on this one, i had to find and download a heap of new versions apps

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭elmer

The xbox won't recognise a harddisk you put in there because it's got no files on it and it's not locked to the serial number of your xbox - it's nothing to do with size

The new crystals are 1.6s though so your no solder solutions are all out the window at present. There's a few chips on the way - one called spiderchip and then the various other xbox chip makers are in development with add ons.

i don't know about softmods but if you take a look around the forums on www.xbox-scene.com i'm sure the exploits will all be there.

one thing is for sure - it's alot harder to put a mod in one of these than any of the earlier xboxs - but it's certainly not impossible :)

Nige

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Y.B.Sober

The xecuter 1.6 is now compatible with 1.6 xboxs (to the best of my knowledge). as has been said go to xbox-scene.com. its the best resource for xbox info. make sure the chip comes with an xapter (pogo pins). this means no soldering, and contarry to popular belief, it will not come out. Read all the tutorials on xbox-scene, download the utilities scattered all over the web and get stuck in. its not that difficult and is well worth it. last bit of advice, don't excede 120GB HDD. its possible, but more work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

so what are the benifits of a modded xbox? Could be an intresting Christmas pressie. Xbox+Soldering Iron+Mod Chip

You can put all your games on the it and run them off it without discs. You can put your all your music, movies and pictures on it and use it as a home media jukebox. You can listen to radio on it via the internet. If you hook it to your pc you can stream any media of you pc and watch it on your tv. And I'm sure theres more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

wow.and what is required exactly?xbox,new HD,ModChip and knowledge?!

sounds worthwhile.

edit; was just looking around, doesnt seems to difficult.

New BIOS + Flash BIOS + Put in New HD + Dashboard (and a few CD-R's) + Xbox Live (with some messing aroun) = Failed Leaving Cert!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭elmer

there's a nice sticky in the games forum about it - as a first timer i'd steer clear of a crystal unless you're getting someone to install it for you

Nige

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

-
    Y.B.Sober wrote:
    make sure the chip comes with an xapter (pogo pins). this means no soldering, and contarry to popular belief, it will not come out.
    quote from http://www.teamxecuter.com/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=19107 (the people who make the xecuter modchips)
    We will be producing a new solderless adapter as an extra add-on to X3 - it is called the XAPT3R. We hope to have it on the shelves by November.

The best way to ever fit a mod is to solder it in. This is a non disputable fact.

If you cannot solder or don’t wish to solder - spend the $ on what you would pay on a no solder adapter to get someone to do it for you.

If you would like to try soldering - get a 15W soldering iron and some flux / lead based solder / solder braid and give it a try. The Solder points on the Xbox are pretty easy and soldering is not that difficult at all if you have a little patience and a steady hand.

If you still insist on the no solder route then you'll have to wait for the adapter - even then there are still 2 points that require soldering - the LAN and HDD led points - which are optional of course.

We don’t know what the adapter will cost yet.

Here is a link to some pictures: http://www.teamxecuter.com/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=93&mode=&order=0&thold=0

pm me if you would like me to do it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭BeatFreak

It's the LCP wiring which is a pain on the 1.6's but you don't have to do it on older versions (<1.5) so just buy a second hand xbox and one of These and your sorted. Although if you insist on modding your 1.6 there's a handy LCP rebuild kit available from Team Xecuter which will be shipping with the X3 chips soon enough too. But crystal Xbox = more work :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Y.B.Sober

I won't dispute that soldering is better, nobody with electronics experience would. all I'm saying is that the solderless chips are perfect. Once installed there are no problems. this is the perfect solution for somone who doesn't want to pay for installation.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭BeatFreak

I've done a good few at this stage and I'm by no means an expert at soldering... It's really not all that hard, Xapters can be messy I prefer everything to stay where I put it even when it get's thrown around the back of a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

I bought a second hand one from gamestop and had no trouble installing the modchip. The D0 point gave me no trouble at all, and my soldering skills are minimal.

You can install emulators on the Xbox too, SNES, nintendo 64, nes, megadrive, commodore 64, playstation even. And some pc games ported...I was playing a multiplayer game of Quake 2 using an Xbox and a pc networked together :)

You'd be best off getting a second hand one I guess, provided it's not near death..Seems silly paying for a warranty you're going to void as soon as you get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

what type of prices are they charging in gamestop for xboxes?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

I got my used xbox a few months ago for 110 for the box and a controller.

No doubt they're less now, with the recent xbox price drop.

New xboxes... 150 I think?

110 brand new?!
    i just paid 199 for xbox,nfsu2 + extra controller

• Advertisement
Advertisement