Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

unmetered broadband?

• 23-11-2004 10:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41

I'm wondering about the current state of broadband in Ireland. Is it possible to get an unmetered high-speed plan with no caps? Here in the states I'm familiar with quite a few, but didn't know what the average was in Ireland. I am a pretty heavy downloader, and would probably easily exceed an "average" use plan. Any recommendations?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Bass.exe

Well, IBB offers unmetered packages, and are reasonably cheap, compared to some of the others.
    www.irishbroadband.ie for information.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

the only high speed uncapped residential service one I know of is casey cable in Dungarvan - www.cablesurf.com - although I'm sure there's more

€40 per month
    uncapped
    9Mbps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Stop rubbing it in Thund3rbird_

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Esat Business do a uncapped/no-trottles DSL service for..
    €45 pm for 512K/256K - static IP etc
    €90 pm for 1024K/256k - Static IP etc
    both sadly have a two year contract
    but they provide excellent service
    check esatbt.com

oh and they also do 2MB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

digiweb, offers 1mb service, but they throttle for sure! and please don't tell me they don't!

I ran 2 bit torrent downloads, they were downloading at 5kb one and 15 the other, i closed one and the 5 one went to 20! and never got over it!

and there was more than enough of bandwidth! and my sharing ration was over 2000! and status green as a shrek!

they don't throttle web surfing and stuff, but p2p they throttle for sure!

and everytime I sent them mail, somehow, my bt started working full speed again! but not for long!

Jesus when will ntl get here!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Cabaal wrote:

Does the Esat Business DSL still go through their own servers/stuff? It's just that the pings on their Business products were pretty bad before... (IIRC)

Cabaal wrote:
    €45 pm for 512K/256K - static IP etc
    €90 pm for 1024K/256k - Static IP etc
    both sadly have a two year contract
    but they provide excellent service
    check esatbt.com

oh and they also do 2MB

it's only available for business users!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

koneko wrote:
    Does the Esat Business DSL still go through their own servers/stuff? It's just that the pings on their Business products were pretty bad before... (IIRC)

Esat Business is Esats own equipment at the exchange tbh
    Never seen pings be a issue with a Esat Business line, generally they compare alot better then that of UTV/IOL

CyberGhost wrote:
    it's only available for business users!

Really?
    Hmm I guess myself and three of my friends did'ent know that and we all must have registered business some how?
    But funnily enough I never remember setting up a Business just to get DSL.
    go figure...
    ;)

Cabaal wrote:
    Esat Business is Esats own equipment at the exchange tbh
    Never seen pings be a issue with a Esat Business line, generally they compare alot better then that of UTV/IOL

Really?
    Hmm I guess myself and three of my friends did'ent know that and we all must have registered business some how?
    But funnily enough I never remember setting up a Business just to get DSL.
    go figure...
    ;)

oh god, I have never been so happy to be wrong in my life!

hey, can you please post the direct link to the page that says, it's limitless?

hey, is not this what you are talking about?

https://esatbt.com/echannel/pageflows/OrderProduct/aboutProducts/Esat_BT_Business_ADSL.jsp

how did you install it?

I rang esat, and they told me it's for business only! and the page says the same!

NEVER MIND! I just rang them, it's not available to me! :(

• Advertisement

CyberGhost wrote:
    hey, is not this what you are talking about?

https://esatbt.com/echannel/pageflows/OrderProduct/aboutProducts/Esat_BT_Business_ADSL.jsp

how did you install it?

I rang esat, and they told me it's for business only! and the page says the same!

NEVER MIND! I just rang them, it's not available to me! :(

Yes thats the product,
    But your still wrong, you don't *have* to have a business to get it
    Mainly it depends on the rep you get through to when you phone them

When getting my DSL I spoke to 4 reps, one of them said I couldn't get it the rest were fine.
    So while it may be company policy to only sell to businesses its certainly not set it stone :)
    End result is its not just "only available for business users!"

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

buellershow people will be able to answer better if you state what part of ireland you will be moving to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

Bass.exe wrote:
    Well, IBB offers unmetered packages, and are reasonably cheap, compared to some of the others.
    www.irishbroadband.ie for information.

There is no cap alright. However, I do believe that if your a high bandwidth user, your connection gets throttled during working hours, in aid of businesses that are also on your conntention.

Atleast thats the only reason why We can't get more than 30K during the day :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

Doodee wrote:
    There is no cap alright. However, I do believe that if your a high bandwidth user, your connection gets throttled during working hours, in aid of businesses that are also on your conntention.

Atleast thats the only reason why We can't get more than 30K during the day :(

30KB during the day is fine! - I get 52KB (416kbit) on my DSL and it's more than enough for web use. Could do with a bigger cap though.

Advertisement