Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a gun licence

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

cant see why not once you can meet the security requirements. That said i reckon it would have to be an unrestricted shotgun because anything else would require a safe bolted to a solid structure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 chunky211

I am thinking of ordering a 1400fps air rifle and was wondering would a license be required for one and also if I ordered it would it get seized by customs or would it get delivered to me? Any help or info would be much appretiated.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

An Air rifle is classed as a firearm so you need a firearms license for it. In relation to customs you cannot simply order one over the internet/through the post. You need an import license from the DOJ, to have your firearms license before this, the necessary security requirements in place before getting it.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

chunky211 wrote: »
    I am thinking of ordering a 1400fps air rifle and was wondering would a license be required for one and also if I ordered it would it get seized by customs or would it get delivered to me? Any help or info would be much appretiated.

Trying to import a firearm into the country without an import licence and a firearms licence will get you in deep do-do

http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/Pages/FM07000612

http://www.nargc.ie/Upload/Form%20FCA1.pdf

chunky211 wrote: »
    I was talking to a guy i used to go to school with over the weekend who brought an air rifle back from wales years ago when we were on a school tour. i asked him if he still had it and he said it was taken off him by the gards, he did not get done lucky enough but he has applied twice since for a shotgun licence and this was the reason he did not get it. Defo not worth it. an extra €80 euro (for the licence) and your legilly set up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 grizzly700

I'm 16 and was just wondering what exactly i need to do to get a license for a shotgun or rifle? have laws changed since it was first posted here in 2004.

thanks

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

The Red announment at the top of the main forum will hold pretty much all the basic info you need including links to the relevant laws, SI's, and forms you need.

From another post of mine here is a short version. It is about a rifle, but the process is the same for a shotgun.
    Ezridax wrote:
    Once you have chosen your desired sport you must choose an appropriate caliber to compete with. Your options would be a rifle of one of the following calibers;
    • .22lr
    • 6.5x55
    • 6.5x284
    • 7mm WSM
    There are literally dozens of other calibers but these would be a good mix of both hunting, and target calibers suitable for one or the other or both.

Next step is to pick a firearm. Go to as many dealers as you can. Do not rush the decision. Its can be a long enough process to get the license so you cannot pick choose, change your mind, pick choose change your mind once the license process has begun.
    Go out and try as many makes/models of the caliber you would most like, but keep an open mind to other calibers as sometimes you end up buying a caliber you did not intend to buy.

Once ypu have a rifle, caliber, mke.model choosen you then need to apply for a license. The red announcement at the top of the main shooting page will give you all the basics. Anything else you need can be asked here. In short you need;
    • An FCA1 (application form)
    • Letter of sale from dealer with firearm details
    • Photos x 2
    • Referees to vouch for your character x 2
    • Medical details
    • Range details including membership number and copy of membership card.
    • Seperate sheet of paper with an explanation as to why you want this firearm plus explanations for a mod (silencer) if you choose to get one.
    • A witness to sign the application.
    • All secure acomodation requirements in place as there is a box you must tick to say you have them in place.
    The applcaition can take from 4 weeks to 3 months, and some have even waited up to a year for their license. It is meant to be done within a 3 month time period, but this does not always happen depending on which Garda district you are in.

Once a decision has been made you will receive a receipt letter followed shortly after by a grant letter (if successful) to say you have been granted the license. You can take this and pay your €80 at the post office and within 3-5 day your license will arrive in the post. You can do as some do and use the grant letter, and receipt of payment at the post office to show your license is on the way, but for the sake of a couple of days i don't personally see the need.

You collect your firearm, go to the range and enjoy your shooting.

Also you need to deicde if you want to do target shooting on a range or game shooting on your own land permissions or as a member of a gun club. Either way you need membership details or signed letters of permissions to accompany your application.

Any other questions feel free to ask.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 42 grayman

Hi guys.
    Does anyone know what u need to get a licence for a 22 to hunt on your own family land. Around 150 acres

grayman wrote: »
    Hi guys.
    Does anyone know what u need to get a licence for a 22 to hunt on your own family land. Around 150 acres
    Big red announcement at top of hunting forum will explain it all. Process is the same except you put your own land as the reason for wanting it with a letter from whoever owns the land if its not you

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭eurokev

Hi,

My dad has 5 rifles which he used use hunting years and years ago.
    He has held on to them for 50plus years without using them, however has given them to a friend of his on occassion who still hunts just to keep them in working order.

He wants to pass them on to me, and I would love to keep them. I have zero interest in using them, it is purely to keep them in the family.

Should I go about obtaining a gun licence for these, and would I be likely to get one, or should I just keep them locked away in a safe place???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

eurokev wrote: »
    I have zero interest in using them, it is purely to keep them in the family.
    Should I go about obtaining a gun licence for these, and would I be likely to get one, or should I just keep them locked away in a safe place???

You don't actually have any choice really, unless you're willing to have them deactivated (ie. put beyond use - barrels plugged, holes drilled in various places, etc, etc).

Either you get a licence for them (and even if you deactivate them, you still need permission from the local Superintendent to keep them) or you sell them; if caught keeping them without a licence, that's a maximum sentence of up to €20k each and up to seven years in prison each.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 welboss

Applying for an air rifle licence (first firearm) i will be hunting crows, pigeons and rabbits on my family farm 150 acres plus rented land, I am 17. Would this amount of land suffice or would i need to get permission for another farm. Thanks

Advertisement