Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are there no really decent metal bands anymore?

Options
  • 25-08-2000 8:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Metal has gone to the dogs. Nu-metal is just pure rubbish. I want to know why there are not more bands like Diamond Head and Motorhead around? Oh well, I suppose bands like Slipknot, Korn etc. are not going to just go away. On a side note RATM are the exception to the nu-metal sucks thingy

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Try 'Psycore' they are a good swedish band not as intense as Entombed so much more musical but still obscure at times smile.gif
    'A Perfect Circle' not bad either..

For the perfect album try Coroner and their album 'Grin'

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

DU HAST!

Who's this by ?

It's about a society in freefall....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭FreaK_BrutheR

Du Hast - Rammstein

Yeah agreed...all these ****e metal bands about these days...pfah! but what can you do? it's a wild youth. Not a bit of wonder i take a drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I was just stereotyping, please forgive me if I act a little strange, for I know not what I doooo.....

It's about a society in freefall....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Excelsior

yeah.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I'd just like to say I've got every Iron Maiden album (apart from the latest) on one CD - MP3s RULE!!!

Nu-Metal's OK - I really like Slipknot, Korn and all the other boys and girls. It doesn't hold a flame to the original rockers with their shaggy blonde perms, skin-tight blue jeans and their white runners!!! biggrin.gif

Du Hast - a silly song by a silly band smile.gif

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    My page of stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 minion

Kharn: Iron Maiden are brilliant. Slipknot suck. Since when is a band whos act consist of beating the crap out of each other on stage talented?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

Listen to soulfly and your sorted there mad biggrin.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

The main reason there's no decent metal bands around anymore is because you grew up, it happens to us all, live with it, listen to some old metal stuff on occasion for the memories and the rest of the time, a mix of Frank Sinatra and Jeff Buckley will do nicely.

biggrin.gif

Lucutus of Borg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 cillian_burger_queen

my 2 cents:
    the only decent metal band EVER were/are motorhead. Ok, so I'm a purist, but seriously we're at the stage where we have korn wannabes. korn wanted to be a gothic metallica, who wanted to be sabbath. 'nuff said. we're in the 4th generation of metal, and it's just getting tired. gotta look to other genres as the way forward.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

rofl Iron Maiden 'can I play with madness!!!!!' would ya fu<k off like!?!??!?! smile.gif

best band ever imho is Jane's Addiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Originally posted by Castor Troy:
    rofl Iron Maiden 'can I play with madness!!!!!' would ya fu<k off like!?!??!?! smile.gif

best band ever imho is Jane's Addiction.

which of course are not a metal band, but good. love ritual, know you perfer nothings shocking, but there you go...

as for metal bands. well, metallica are still doing the rounds. people dont seem to like them anymore due to the fact that they cut their hair, stopped playing powercords at 500mph and generally have harmony now.
    i still ike them alot. i cant say that for any other band. every now and then i get out suicidal tendencies and give them a spin, but otherwise...
    all my maiden albums and slayer and anthrax and all all are long gone. no more carcass, death, obituary and other silly bands with names that are more imaginative than their lyrics.
    im happy with the ported elevator musak in the old folks home these days...

For everyone who loves Korn and Slipknot. Buy or otherwise get a copy of Best Of Diamond Head and then you'll know all about real metal. When will korn learn that one or two songs are enough about their problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭shakel

Anybody ever listen to Kerbdog?

Excellent metal band. Unfortunately there not around any more either....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

i listened to some kerbdog way back when.
    haven't heard anything in years tho.

MiCr0

Kerbdog RULE! The singer/guitarist and bass player (I think) are now in a band called Wilt (whose stuff I have yet to hear).

Word is, Kerbdog got loads of stress from the record company and called it quits as a result. I saw an interview with Cormac Battles (singer/guitar) who said this time it was different, cause this time they were doing it their way.

Anyone heard their (Wilt) stufF???

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    My page of stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭UNIFLU

"The main reason there's no decent metal bands around anymore is because you grew up, it happens to us all"

Have to agree with that one although I still listen to newer stuff coming out but theres nothing good anymore it seems. A perfect circle -mer de noms is very good ans Soulflys album is brilliant if you like the tribal vibe. Nowadays i seem to find heavy music through my younger brother who spends as much time buying all those music mags as i used to.

I havent gotten any Wilt stuff yet but they played at Witness. I didnt go cause i couldnt face listening to all the other sh1te. They were supposed to have had one excellent gig and many people said they were the most impressive band there.

I looking for their stuff, not having any luck yet but I will find it.... oh yes it will be mine

[This message has been edited by shakel (edited 12-09-2000).]

Originally posted by UNIFLU:
    "The main reason there's no decent metal bands around anymore is because you grew up, it happens to us all".

I have to disagree. I would like to think Im not getting my pension yet and I cant find any good metal bands out there.

Hoping that Wilt will help me out though !!

yeah Lucutus I guess I am all grown up now that I'm 18. Hmmmm. No I don't think yer right there. It's cause nu-metal sucks end of story.
    P.S. Was Witness any good I couldn't go unfortunately

• Advertisement

I didnt go to Witness, most of the bands that were there Id hate, but there were a few groups I wouldnt have minded seeing, The Undertones, Wilt, The Frames.

[This message has been edited by shakel (edited 15-09-2000).]

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Kharn, minion et al , you are all a bunch of phucking ****ers , iron maiden are one of the worst metal bands EVER!Motorhead arent too bad but they are too old , nu-metal came around at a time when all metal bands sounded the same , and blew all that old shyt away.Bands like korn ,metallica ,soulfly, rage against the machine ,slipknot, a perfect circle , nine inch nails , the deftones and even limp bizkit are far more original , powerful and downright brilliant than those old metal bands ever were.The only "old" metal band i like now are the inventors of metal -Led Zeppelin!
    .....Do I know what rhetorical means!?!
    -Kiaser-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭FreaK_BrutheR

Motorhead are just awright. Muppet.

Black Sabbath. ew ar shar.

Metallica...new wave...in the same catagory as NIN, Korn Soulfly et al other ****e? They ain't no spring chickens on the scene.

Anyway I'm harder than you cause i listen to FAR heavier stuff than you awright. So i'll eat your head spit it at your stomach to diembowel you fry your sister eat your first born son spit on jesus kill britney spears grind my teeth...alot...dress in skirts and wear make-up...drink blood cut myself cut my fans break my instruments make a fortune.

Teenage angst ridden noisy bull****.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

eek.gif Oooooohhh I'm scared freak.What is this "far heavier" stuff , slayer, sepultera , deicide, cradle of filth?Please don't eat me you sad tosser , although jonathan davis of korn dresses in skirts(kilts really), marilyn manson cuts himself at concerts , and EVERYBODY smashes their instruments on stage.
    "Teenage angst ridden noisy bull****."
    What slayer and the rest sing about is basicly bull**** anyway.
    Oh and motorhead are still only alright.

Kaiser - will you please read what you type before you post it. Also, it's a good idea to read what people post before you answer...
    Clearly Freak-Bro was havin' a laugh (as is his way) and you've just gone way over board.

Take a chill dude!

I like Nu-Metal a hell of a lot, I'm listening to a mix of it now (Marilyn Manson, Slipknot, Korn and even Limp Bizkit).

Anyway, you're new to these boards - take it easy and have a bit of respect for people who've been here a lot longer (i.e. everyone).

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    My page of stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Lord Khan

Easy up there a bit Kharn no need to heavy over it, yes he is new but take a chill pill your self,( I'm sure Freak_Bro can help, he knows where to go to get all the right pills smile.gif )

Nu Metal bah! Nu metal doesn't even deserve a comment. well if you like marilyn manson and slipknot that's your business.

I just think a *good* metal band are harder to find now adays with some are just heavily comercalised( 'cus the spee-ling ). most people look to US for metal bands but there are quite(small number) good ones from euro-land the previously meationed Rammstein is one example.

The true artists are few and far between in the world of music not just metal take Grunge, Rock . there are some many new bands out there and just so many of the are really really crap. they are just a load of *****-****-**************-***************-*****************-ers.

*Vote for proposition 36 - Only people who were alive when Nirvana were together can be a fan - a Truely Great Band with excellent Musicians shame a lot of people just jumped on the Nirvana Fan-wagon, Damn Skinny Ultra-White little 15 yrs and their T-Shirts*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Theres a lot of pap in metal at the moment; it's amusingly ironic that bands like Korn and Slipknot, who were set up purely as commercial exercises, have tried to sell themselves (mostly successfully) on the basis of being non-mainstream. Heh.

A lot of modern metal is rank; tbh, for a decent listen it's well worth going back to older groups like Metallica or GnR. Machine Head are worth a spin, and Marylin Manson has the occasional decent track, most notably on the Last Tour On Earth.

Of the European groups, Rammstein are very silly but quite good fun, and of course, our very own Therapy? are a bit good. Going to see them in Portsmouth next month, all being equal.

Of course, if you listen to music just in order to fit into an "image", then you'll probably listen to Slipknot or whatever, and will bl33t about Metallica being too commercial, and so on...

Ja,
    Rob

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭the fnj

The problem is'nt that there are no good metal bands! The problem is record companys don't want to push rock groups! Trying to manage a rock group is alot harder than trying to manage a rap group or a pop band! The typical rapper raps to get Money and *****es! A record company can easily supply them with this and the rapper will br content to do what the record company tells him!

Pop groups are even easier to look after again! The record company puts then together and gives then watertight contracts that if the group try go back on will leave them with a huge legal battle!

Rock bands are traditionally different! Alot start of with ideals and don't want to seel out to the record company! The bands that do become puppets of the company and most fans will see straight through this! No record company wants the headache of for example Rage Against the Machine running on stage during the MTV Awards.

My solution!

Go into Sound Cellar and ask for bands like Anathema, My Dying Bride etc. The guys in there are really cool and would have no problem recommending some kick ass metal bands to you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Have you considered cutting down on your exclamation mark habit? Those things'll kill ya, you know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭darthmise

Having never been a fan of heavy metal bands ever, could someone please tell me wherein lies the creativity.
    I remember a line in a Korn song once something about being sexually abused by your father. It seems like its born purely out of angst and a funked up childhood.

Advertisement