Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are there no really decent metal bands anymore?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Lord Khan

Originally posted by darthmise:
    I remember a line in a Korn song once something about being sexually abused by your father. It seems like its born purely out of angst and a funked up childhood.

actually most of Korn's lyrics are along that line.

I think country and western music lacks any sense any hope of creativity, but hey what do I know.

hey kaizer Ya MISSED Slayer ya Clare knack

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

what makes a band commercial anyway?

si it people like thier music, buy their albums and go to their concerts?

so the 'music' is obviously better the more convaluted and unknown the band are. makes people sound so more knowledgable about music than the rest of us sheep who listen to the 'commercial' bands.

i have to laugh at people who tell me that metallica used to be cool. before they sold out like. believe it or not, i dont listen to metallica because they are 'cool'. this whole napster wont make me stop listening to them, because metallica are now uncool.
    rob was right, i'll still listen to metallica and g'n'r because goddamn it i like the music. oh and for the record, metalllicas first album is sh1t. always was, always will be.
    but hey i listen to country music, so what o i know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Bucon

a band is classes as 'commercial', is the only reason the make music, is to make money/get in the press etc....like SlipKnot (i still bought the album tho ;P)

Ppl buying a bands cd's doesnt make the band commercial, if they change because of their popularity...it does!

A Perfect Circle and Tool, Deftones!, MachineHead, Fear Factory....theres loadsa good metal/rock bands

Bucon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Bucon

typing went a bit nuts there :P

"a band is classes as 'commercial', is the only reason the make music" == a band is classed as 'commercial', if the only reason they make music"

Bucon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Flathead

Go check out earthtone9 for the best in modern metal that shows up korn/bizkit/slipknot/etc for the weak, talentless boring rubbish that they are.

You can find mp3's at their own site www.earthtone9.com or live tracks at www.brutalsounds.fire-bug.co.uk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

Well I just came right down to the bottom not bothering to read only the odd post.

in my opinion metal bands have alot to make to come close to the kingpins.....

Although Samael are a ****ing great band

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭the fnj

There are exceptions to the rule but espically with new bands they have to be heavily promted if there going to make it. And thats just the way the music industry is at the moment!

PS Sorry about all ! on my first post never noticed I was doing it. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Chief

Originally posted by FreaK_BrutheR:
    ...in the same catagory as NIN, Korn Soulfly et al other ****e? ....

Teenage angst ridden noisy bull****.

All you EVER REFER to it is as noise.. i mean ffs FB like.. wink.gif

/me scans through FB's mp3 collection.. oh look.. HYPOCRISY you listen to some of that so called noise at times to.. oh deary me :P

The opinions of FB are not necessarily the opinion of all us Donegal Boggers etc..

OOh yeh.. if ya want some good real PROPER noisey stuff try on some..
    KMFDM
    MDFMK
    OLD nine inch nails (pretty hate machine - broken)
    Covenant
    PIG
    "LOSE me.. Hate me.. SMASH me..
    ERASE me.. KILL me.."

nine inch nails - eraser

|Chief|...

[This message has been edited by Chief (edited 27-10-2000).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭C B

Originally posted by Lucutus:
    The main reason there's no decent metal bands around anymore is because you grew up, it happens to us all, live with it, listen to some old metal stuff on occasion for the memories and the rest of the time, a mix of Frank Sinatra and Jeff Buckley will do nicely.

Definitly gotta agree. metal is all about aggression plain and simple when aggression starts to become less important to you then nu metal bands will sound ****e but you'll still love the old ones cause of the memories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 redder88

The main reason there's no decent metal bands around anymore is because you grew up, it happens to us all

Whats really happening is that its being replaced by Rap and Dance. Rap because its angry, and dance because, well you can dance to it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Sean Kavanagh

anybody like CRADLE OF FILTH. I LOVE Their albums and their banned music videos:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Gaaawd no, no-one likes CoF here, right AW?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Originally posted by PiE
    Gaaawd no, no-one likes CoF here, right AW?

I'm gonna be a right ****, stomp my boot down and say I like anything CoF did previous to that commercial hunk of ****e they farted out last year.

But there's plenty of FANTASTIC Metal around now, more than ever.
    You just have to look to the underground.

And ignore Luc's insulting and dismissive comment. :p

Listen to The Haunted and tell me that there's no decent Metal bands around any more!

Great suggestions from FANJ:
    My Dying Bride & Anathema two of the deepest, darkest and most inteligent bands on this earth. Seek them out, and be astounded.

I could give a massive list of some really cool stuff to listen to, but here's a few snippets:

At The Gates
    Borknagar
    In Flames
    Opeth
    Emperor

Now, for all those who doubt that there's anything decent in metal, I say PAH!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭EL_Diablo

The reason there is no good metal anymore is that most of the succsessful bands are a load of crap.(few exceptions) you have to go underground as AngelWhore said. To get the really good metal you have to find the relatively unknown bands, like v-mob , x-constant and immodium spring to mind. there is plenty there, you just have to look.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

"But there's plenty of FANTASTIC Metal around now, more than ever.
    You just have to look to the underground"
    yep, I agree AW.

look at bands like Blind Guardian, Iced Earth, Hammerfall, Demons & Wizards, Helloween, Anthrax (already been mentioned, but what the hey), Grim reaper, Queensryche (spelling?), Rhapsody, Luca Turilli..

there are HUNDREDS of great metal bands out there, you just don't know where to find them.
    have a look about and listen around before you start saying that there is no more good metal.

and there's still plenty of fans out there who like good metal, Blind Guardians latest single got to no.1 in a fair few european countries, as did Demons & Wizards debut. album.

the truth is out there.
    :)

(edit) good lord I can't believe i forgot rage :) not ratm, but rage. just Rage.
    look for their album "ghosts", absolutely fuppin amazing.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Originally posted by AngelWhore

I'm gonna be a right ****, stomp my boot down and say I like anything CoF did previous to that commercial hunk of ****e they farted out last year.

But there's plenty of FANTASTIC Metal around now, more than ever.
    You just have to look to the underground.

And ignore Luc's insulting and dismissive comment. :p

Listen to The Haunted and tell me that there's no decent Metal bands around any more!

Great suggestions from FANJ:
    My Dying Bride & Anathema two of the deepest, darkest and most inteligent bands on this earth. Seek them out, and be astounded.

I could give a massive list of some really cool stuff to listen to, but here's a few snippets:

At The Gates
    Borknagar
    In Flames
    Opeth
    Emperor

Now, for all those who doubt that there's anything decent in metal, I say PAH!

Abso****inglutely! Swedish Metal rules! I'm particularly a fan of The Haunted, At The Gates and In Flames. If you don't like them and youre a metal fan, you need your head checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

There's loads of good metal bands - depends what you're into. Whether you like Slipknot, Maiden, Slayer or COF, it's all metal, so who cares. Let's just enjoy it.

Advertisement