Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Run of the Mill (hopefully) Problem...

Options
  • 24-11-2004 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭

okey doke. I posted the same problem a while back and i still havent managed to fix it.I have a wireless Router/AP with a PC and laptop connected to it. The Laptop is running grand but the PC isnt, although it used to. Something happened and then it ceased to work. So i unistall everything (inclu. firewall) and start again. Now, it nearly works! Its weird though. I am being told that my network signal is being picked up (bottom right of the taskbar) but i cant ping the router. It times out. I can ping myself though. When i go into internet explorer i get a "detecting proxy settings" the bar at the bottom. So i go into network connections and into TCP/IP and it seems that autodetect is not autodetecting for some reason. Its not picking up any IP or anything. Does anyone have any starters or pointers.

DHCP is on etc etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

1) If you haven't got wireless connection from the PC to the router then nothing else will work so that's where you have to start. Can you connect to the router from the laptop and query the router to see what devices are connected to it? That is, is the PC's wireless adapter connecting to the router?

2) Assuming that the PC's wireless adapter is connecting to the router, what is the IP address of the router and the IP address of the PC? If the PC's address is not what you expected then DHCP needs to be examined.

3) If the IP address of the PC is not what you expected, try setting it statically and pinging the router. What is the result?

If you can get through the above tests then you'll have a much better idea of what's happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

thanks fo the reply

1) The Router is telling me that only one device (the laptop) is connected to it.So its not even picking up the PC so i really havent a clue what to do. The IP's are all messed up also on the PC. Ive set them manually but it doesnt seem to work. Ive uninstalled the firewall (Norton) totally and to my knowledge, disabled windows firwall. So im stumped.any ideas

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

reset tcp/ip

dos prompt> netsh int ip reset reset.txt
    reboot

cool, well that seems to have fixed the "having the wrong IP's on auto detect", i checked ip config and they are now all right, but the pc is still not being picked up on the router while checking from the other laptop.Still cant ping the router.And when i go to internet explorer it says "detecing proxy settings", maybe a clue

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

If the PC is not being detected by the router then that's the root cause of your problems.

What wireless device are you using in the PC? Try uninstalling and reinstalling the driver for it. If it's an internal device have you tried re-seating it?

Put the laptop and PC into Ad Hoc mode and see can they connect to each other.

In your original post you said that "Something happened and then it ceased to work." What happened? Or is that just an expression?

If you're using DHCP to assign IP addresses, how is the PC getting an IP address? Have you assigned it statically?

• Advertisement

sorry for the belated responce, i got to annoyed with the pc.

anyway.(still not working!), i dont know what happened that caused the problem.Nothing i can put my finger on. The Ip's are on to be autoassigned and the right ones seem to be comin up.One thing i have noticed is that when i go into the present wireless connection in networks, it says in the top bar (wireless connection 5). Now this is obviously because i keep reseting the connection and uninstalling things but is there a way of totally resetting all the network connections from the pc and start totally again? I have a feeling that there are some underlying setting that are blocking a connecting. Ill try to reseat the card (its a netgear one, working with a netgear router also)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭MadKevo

Don't suppose you've got WEP enabled on the AP/router and not on your PC? It's happened to me that the wireless side looked fine but couldn't get an IP address from the router.

no, dont think so.Ive unistalled everything (i think) and taken out the card.Now im downloading the latest drivers to put on a cd. Im pretty sure WEP was enabled and all that. The problem seems to stem before that. It still seems like something is blocking any outgoing connection (proven b y the fact i cant ping out at all). Ive run spybot and adaware.

Still, no way of totally deleting any previous setting that might be lingering around? I want to start totally fresh!

btw, are there any programs or things i should download for a better insight, as ill be making a cd with the driver on it anyway

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

TimAy wrote:
    When i go into internet explorer i get a "detecting proxy settings" the bar at the bottom.
    Tools - Connections - Automatically Detect Settings - Untick it.

More info on setting up proxy auto detect (something I'm trying to learn about)
    http://linux.cudeso.be/linuxdoc/squid.php#squid_todo
    If you're using Internet Explorer you can take advantage of the new WPAD-feature that gives you the ability for auto-configuring a browser without configuration scripts. You can find more details at http://proxy.nsysu.edu.tw/FAQ/FAQ-5.html. You need to follow these steps :

* Make sure you have a working auto-proxy-configure script
    * Copy this file to a webserver and give it the name wpad.dat
    * Now add / edit an entry in the DNS so that wpad.yourdomain.com points to this webserver
    * Add the setting application/x-ns-proxy-autoconfig dat to the mime-definition file of your webserver. When you've changed this, restart the webserver so that the settings can take effect.
    * Open up Internet Explorer, check that only 'Automatically Detect Settings' is checked and restart your browser.

If you get an IP address then try Tracert www.boards.ie
    Does DNS work ie can you ping www.boards.ie etc. ?
    Have you tried a static TCP/IP entry ?

w00t. its fixed.Who knows how but it is.Computers confuse me.

I uninstalled EVERYTHING.Got rid of all settings and software, got the new drivers etc and its grand again.V strange. Anyway thanks all for the help.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

There are three engineers in a car; an electrical engineer, a chemical engineer, and a Microsoft Software Engineer.

Suddenly the car just stops by the side of the road, and the three engineers look at each other wondering what could be wrong.

The electrical engineer suggests stripping down the electronics of the car and trying to trace where a fault might have occurred.

The chemical engineer, not knowing much about cars, suggests that maybe the fuel is becoming emulsified and getting blocked somewhere. Then the Microsoft engineer, not knowing much about anything, comes up with a suggestion. "Why don't we close all the windows, get out, get back in, open the windows again, and maybe it'll work!?

lol.nice.and true!

Advertisement