Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Paris - Thinking about dinner cruise...

• 24-11-2004 12:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭

I'm taking wifey to Paris in the next few weeks - first time either of us has been to the city of lights - and I was wondering if it's worth doing the dinner cruise thingy at night.

Any recommendations, suggestions or advice? Thanks in advance.

c0y0te

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

I think those dinner cruises usually end up around 60 euro a person. Taking a boat trip at night without the dinner will cost about 8 euro. It's well worth doing either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Bri

Yeah just shop around - there are at least 3 major companies in the same location. Recommend dropping into the tourist office or even a hotel foyer to pick up leaflets. In fact if your near the Jardin d'Luxemburg go into the Alliance Francais and I could swear they had those leaflets too but with discount vouchers...which probably means they're elsewhere too.

Recommend:
    The Patheon (and the whole Latin Quarter incl. Jardin d'Luxemburg)
    Eiffel Tower full ticket to goto the top. Don't arrive too late or the queue will be too big for that night and you'll get turned away.
    Bois de Boulonge (massive park) if the weather's ok.
    Going up the Arc de Triumph and watching the 13-lane (or thereabouts) roundabout chaos.

Buy a carnet (sp?) = pack of 10 metro tickets if your there for more than a weekend. Buy a full weekly/monthly pass if your there for longer. Think they're called something like Carte Orange.

Recommend a trip to the Catacombs too - scare the hell outa your wife (and you!). No gimmicks just real life mile or two of skulls etc. Very eerie.

Disneyland :) (which has a big shopping mall that's not bad just 1 stop before it)

Hope your not going Ryanair!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭c0y0te

Thanks for the info.

Not going ryanair - going aer fungus.

Staying near champs elysees (or however it is spelled!!) and thinking seriously about doing the night cruise now:)

c0y0te

Oh and if your short on time use the open-top buses for a nice cold tour. Pretty decent if I remember correctly.

Montemarte is a nice area is a tad bit too touristy. There's a cable-car sorta thing that brings you up the hill if your not happy to walk - brilliant view, loadsa artists and Salvadore Dali Museum all in one area.

Finally, as obvious as it is - there's aparantly a big risk of getting pickpocketed as you go through the security barriers onto a train/metro platform so keep your hands in your pockets - the idea being they rop you and you can't go back after them as the doors are 1 way!

Enjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭jm2k

Use the metro to get round. You'll prob take an RER into the city centre from CDG. Site I use all the time is here. Very handy for planning your trip

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭c0y0te

Great stuff...keep it coming :D

All advice greatly appreciated!

c0y0te

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Redleslie2

For spectacular views of the city, head up to Sacre Couer or the roof of the Samaritaine department store near Pont Neuf. The lift only goes 6 floors I think, then you have to do a couple of flights of stairs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭sanncoo

My advice would be to find a nice little restaurant and have dinner and then do the night cruise without the meal. Or vice versa.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭[nicK]

Bri wrote:
    Oh and if your short on time use the open-top buses for a nice cold tour. Pretty decent if I remember correctly.

just an added note on this..

ya can get a hop on/hop off cruise boat that does a tour along the seine stopping at the main attractions, for only a few euro extra...
    well worth the extra couple of euro and well, cooler..

Very good :)

Never knew that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Danni

C0y0te, where are ye staying if you don't mind me asking? Have to book a hotel for my parents (they're going in Feb) and i don't know where to start. Anybody here have any recommendations?? Would like somewhere central but not too pricey. Also is Charles De Gaulle Airport far from the Champs D'Elyse (sp?)

Would appreciate any info. Thanks :)

Yeah it's far enough. Only time I flew in there I remember utter confusion ('fraid so!) at the exit with no clear buses into town. Still we boarded one with broken french and they went right to the Champs...but it was a fairly reasonable trip in.

Although it's a HELL of a lot nearer than Bouvaix :)

Advertisement