Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom

Options
  • 24-11-2004 1:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭

studying my eircom bill, i came accross something odd, can someone put me straight:

I was reading the back and saw the call charges, a little *asterik said price per minute includes vat @ 21%, grand fair enough, but then i noticed the call charges with the 21% vat are then added to your other recurring charges and you are then subsequently charged vat on the whole thing again at 21%. So am i right in concluding that i pay vat (not same amount) twice on my call charges on every phone bill? and also are they allowed to do this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭rondjon

What you should be checking is how much VAT you're supposed to be paying - 13.5% or 21%.

www.rte.ie - Supreme Court backs NTL in VAT case

December 19, 2003 16:57
    The state is set to lose millions in VAT revenue following a Supreme Court ruling that cable television company NTL should pay the lower VAT rate of 13.5% on fees for the supply of connections.

Since 1989, the Revenue has argued that NTL services were liable to the 21% VAT rate on connections. But the Supreme Court has ruled that VAT should be charged only at the lower rate of 13.5%.

It is understood that the result could substantially reduce the amount of VAT the state can collect for connection to such services.

Revenue's decision to charge VAT at 21% was originally challenged in 1989 by Cablelink, before NTL took the case over. Revenue appealed the decision to the Supreme Court after NTL won its case in the Appeal Commissioners and in the High Court. NTL had not been charging the 21% rate so there will be no rebate for consumers.

NTL said it was delighted with the decision, but was still analysing the details of the judgment and would not be making any further comment.

Eircom, which has been charging 21%, also welcomed the decision, and said it would be looking at how the judgment might apply to its services.

A spokesperson for the ESB said that the company had always charged the lower 13.5% rate on connections so the ruling would have no impact on it or its customers.

Revenue said it was still studying the implications of the lengthy judgment.

A spokesperson said that if companies considered that their services or part of their services should now be charged at the lower rate of VAT as a result of this case, they should contact their local inspector of taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

The prices listed on the back of the bill include VAT at 21% for "advertising" purposes. If you look at the prices listed in your itemisation, they are X VAT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

I also understand that the 13.5% VAT rate applies to the first time connection charge and not the subsequent charges arrising from line rental and calls.

Advertisement