Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Transfer of residence and exemption from VRT

Options
  • 24-11-2004 4:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭

Has anyone gone through the process of moving to Ireland, bringing their vehicle with them, and getting the exemption from VRT on it? I'd like to know what kind of documentary proof was requested of your residence outside the state for the previous six months and if the process was fairly simple, or was it like trying to bring a starter pistol onto Air Force 1?

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Wife tried to bring here NI regd Pug 106 (4yrs old) down here. She had to provide bank statements, phone bills, etc. etc. and eventually the revenue stuffed her for IR£1k as they weren't satisfied that NI was her permanent address (which it was!).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Are you saying the Revenue does not accept a statement of fact even if it stares at them in the face? So what's the point of having exemptions?

So wtf do you do? 'suppose you come over from the UK:
    _do you sell your cars in the UK before you transfer residence and then buy one here?
    _or do you transfer residence & attempt to reg' them VRT-free?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I had a look at: http://www.oasis.gov.ie/moving_country/moving_to_ireland/importing_car_into_ireland.html
    Exemptions from paying Vehicle Registration Tax
    There are different reliefs and exemptions from VRT. Even if you are not required to pay VRT, you must still register your vehicle when you come to Ireland (see Rules below). The following groups are exempt from paying VRT:

Certain disabled drivers
    Visitors to Ireland who have owned their vehicles abroad for more than 6 months and who will be resident here temporarily
    People who have owned their vehicles abroad for more than 6 months and who are moving permanently to Ireland
    People posted to Ireland as part of the diplomatic corps
    NOTE: If you are moving to Ireland and are among those exempt from paying VRT you cannot sell your vehicle for more than 12 months after the vehicle is registered.

If you are required to pay VRT, then you can sell your vehicle here in Ireland when you wish, once it has been registered. Further information is available from your local VRO.

I also noted under the appeals section: http://www.revenue.ie/services/vrt/vrt6.htm
    the refusal of a repayment or remission of VRT or the refusal to grant an exemption from VRT;

is subject to appeal. So maybe you could look into this grand charge, as it seems to be unjustified.

no point in appealing!
    Wife abided by their rules - she had been working here and returned to Belfast every weekend and holidays, etc. Revenue had no quibble with this.
    However, when she went home she usually stayed with family and did not spend huge amounts of money. Therefore her NI bills/receipts were not enough to keep revenue happy!

No exemption because she'd spent more in IE than NI... :eek:

That's just f***ing ridiculous - it means IE Revenue's made more on VAT from her than HM C&Excise, then - so what they crying about?

And where is this interpretation from? No mention of it in http://www.revenue.ie/services/vrt/vrt3.htm.

Looks 2 me IE Revenue's just practising legally-sanctionned extortion. A rule is rule - if the appeal procedure is heard by the perps themselves, well, I don't mean to be cynical, but... you get my drift.

First things first: how do they (the IE Revenue) define "residence"? Next:when is the "cut-off" point?
    Then: what is "temporary"? A week, a month, 2 years?

When you don't go back to visit relatives? When you don't have an address (rented/purchased) in NI or the UK anymore?

F*** tax civil servants... and they say solicitors are the worst kind after the toads!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

at the end of the day if shes working in roi 5 days and living in uk 2 days then shes roi resident so no exemption should be given like it or not

@ lomb - she played by their rules. She was at the time living here temporarily and as per their limits (<160 days per year IIRC). In the end they were not happy that that she returned home when she says she did! End of story!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

ambro25 wrote:

And where is this interpretation from? No mention of it in http://www.revenue.ie/services/vrt/vrt3.htm.

Probably cos you've got the wrong link there boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

If you look at it from their point of view they have to guard against the type of scam where someone gets a relative or someone they know in the north to put the utility bills in their name for a six month period, and maybe write them a few receipts for rent, and then buys a car up there. This person also make a few trips up there at random times and does some shopping, keeping the receipts. Then after the six months, the person applies to have the car registered here, and submits the paperwork as proof of their residence in the north, saving a fortune in VRT.

If they are that sticky over 1k, I think my idea is out the window.

• Advertisement
Advertisement