Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Plan to deliver 500,000 Broadband connections by December 2007

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 SpiderKiller

I live about 5 to 10 mins drive form Kinnegad, Plus i dont want wireless i want DSL line i was on there site before but the price is crazy per month..... Thank you for the Help.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

when did you line go in ??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,393 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Laguna wrote:
    This ****ing country, mark my words - many, many people in rural Ireland like myself will never be offered DSL broadband through the phoneline as long as Eircom hold all the cards. I live six kilometres as the crow flies from Borris, Carlow, a town which recently had its exchange upgraded, I tried to get broadband in vain, sending email after email to phil.nolan@eircom.ie and all I got back was the fact that Eircom see this area as 'done and dusted', they told me that as I live 6km from Borris (I got the guy who rang me to say it - it says it in the email too), that my phoneline will NEVER be broadband enabled.

i know its not much consolation i actually live within 4.5km of the exchange and have been told that my line will never be repaired to take broadand cant fault the local engineers who have tried everything to get eircom to do something. the worst thing is i cant get wireless either because theres a hill between me and the only mountain which has none eircom wireless on it
    have to try and get my neighbour to put a repeater in !!!
    i wouldnt mind but me and my partner work from home

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭whippet

My exchange in D15 still isn't unbundled, I called Eircom there to see what the story is and I was told that they 'plan to have 90% of exchanges in ireland broadband ready by the end of march', I asked her if she had any idea which exchanges are in the 90% .. but of course she didn't have a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Well i live beside Kinnegad, Co. Westmeath. And i Got a Eircom line in and guest what FAILED. So no broadband for me GREAT. So does anybody know a way to get broadband faster then the ****y time wasting by Eircom.

Wait at least a month for the line to be tested, or you could try asking eircom to do a test for you (mixed reports on whether they actually do).
    i not one for wireless as you know its **** which its can not be used for gaming and downloads.
    If eircom's ability to turn red to green is anything to go by, you may just have to resort to wireless, which is suitable for games, and downloads. I don't know what you're basing your "facts" on, but if it's on IBB (one poorly rolled out wireless service), then you're being a bit over-reactive!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭IT Loser

Group Broadband Scheme....its the only way to go, I tell thee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 smartsystems

I have been waiting on my exchange to be enabled for the last year my current 56k connection stood me €4,000 this year and that is running on the eircom 150hrs package......for a month or 2 I had the BT 180HR package also....

but I foolishly cancelled it because some fool in the eircom broadband department told me I would have an enabled exchange in a week or two back in August 2005.....

Months passed no broadband....complained to eircom....about there sales staff....guess what they denied any date been given......rang up continuously each week.....sales person 75% of the time gave a date...???/

No broadband......So imagine my surprise when I open up the paper (6 months later) to see an advertisement that my exchange has been enabled.....great quick do a line test.....FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL.........

Ring eircom broadband department ...some sales person really hasn`t got a clue what broadband is or how it works....just knows how to pass a billing....oh just keep on trying........ ring again next day just to check if all the work has been finished on my exchange.....eircom broadband sales person .....Yes no more work is required on your exchange.......

Well then why is my line failing.......

eircom broadband - well its probably something to do with how your line is laid.....

Me: Well when are you fixing my eircom line to enable it to carry broadband...

eircom broadband - were`re not....

me: why not?

eircom broadband - well we are not legally required to provide a broadband service......

me: well I want a piece of paper confirming 100% that my line was tested to carry broadband, an engineers technical report to be precise.

eircom broadband - we can`t provide that information, we have no contact by telephone with eircom engineers.....

me: aren`t you a communications company????????????????????????? Put me in contact with someone who can provide the information I require.......

eircom broadband - Oh I will send you to the customer relations department...

eircom customer relations dept - I don`t know why eircom broadband have sent you here....we have nothing to do with broadband.....

me: aren`t you eircom or did somebady divert me to a different company???

eircom customer relations dept - I will send you back to eircom broadband ask for a SUPERVISOR

Me: OK! Like a FOOL

Eircom Broadband - I will check for a SUPERVISOR

10 Minutes later I arrive back at the same eircom customer relations girl.....

eircom customer relations - this is not on .... do you want to make an official complaint....

me: Of course I do.......Official Complaint Lodged

================================================

Now eircom are enabling exchanges upto 100% but there lines are setup so 100% of the customer base cannot carry broadband...... So I think eircom should be penalised as they don`t intend on upgrading lines???

Eircom should be made provide 56k & ISDN lines at a fixed price the same fixed price as broadband with no limits to connection time. Maybe this will give them a kick in the arse.......

Its time to start a customer revolution - everybody who`s line has failed the eircom broadband test should demand a full engineers report from eircom on exactly why there line has failed.....

Start reporting continuous line faults to eircom and make them send engineers out to investigate. Hit them in the pocket....after all they are legally obliged to provide a telephone service.....eat that one eircom......

Oh as for the government FF....... I will be bartering my vote to the party who enforce a policy of 100% broadband connection on 100% of Irish lines not 25% or 35% of lines as is now.......

OUST THE GOVERNMENT THEY ARE USELESS...........DON`T BE FOOLED BY FOOLS BEARING GIFTS.......???? ISSA`S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭eircomtribunal

I have been waiting on my exchange to be enabled for the last year my current 56k connection stood me €4,000 this year and that is running on the eircom 150hrs package......for a month or 2 I had the BT 180HR package also....
    This imaginary problem of yours has been successfully solved by gov and regulator long ago.
    Dermot Ahern had directed, I think it was back in March 2003, the regulator to introduce "affordable" "retail flat rate dial-up Internet" connectivity, so that the Irish consumer could finally have "price certainty" and take up the Internet to the same degree as in the rest of Europe. ComReg "successfully" did just that, reported back about the successful deed to the DCMNR, to the Oireachtas Committee on communications etc. Only recently now Comms minister Noel Dempsey answered a Dail question telling the House that this flat rate access had been successfully introduced and that already around 100,000 customers were using it.

May I propose to you to ask the guys in the DCMNR to tell you where you could access this affordable retail flat rate dial-up Internet access product, that the regulator had so successfully introduced.

As to possible progress with this regulator: I doubt we'll see progress unless we physically put the ComReg office onto a pair-gained dial-up line...

P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

No broadband......So imagine my surprise when I open up the paper (6 months later) to see an advertisement that my exchange has been enabled.....great quick do a line test.....FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL.........

Sounds like you're having fun. How far from the exchange are you? What are your dial-up speeds like?

This imaginary problem of yours has been successfully solved by gov and regulator long ago.
    Dermot Ahern had directed, I think it was back in March 2003, the regulator to introduce "affordable" "retail flat rate dial-up Internet" connectivity, so that the Irish consumer could finally have "price certainty"

P.

Imaginary problem, its not imaginary to me its very real how much eircom are extorting from me......and its a normal house connection, "work from home"....independant.............

Price certainty......eircom will only give me the 150hr package for the price of €49 euro......per month I run over the 150 hrs every month for this they hammer me for an additional €200 euro or more a month my last internet bill was €550 for there 150 hr package........I asked for an addtional 150hr package they said we can`t do that....of course they can`t why would they when they are taking me to the cleaners.....

anyways I need broadband speed.......and a 24hr connection to the internet......its not my problem that eircoms lines are from the prehistoric age...its there`s...........is it not reasonable for them to upgrade them.....

I am in perfect range of the exchange base station.hell the eircom sales person didn`t even know the radius when I asked today....lucky I understand the technology a bit better than the person selling it to me....................

Eircom is milking the market before they are gobbled up..........lets revolt take back some of the funds they have extorted.........Ireland is going to become a joke in europe...........so technologically advanced that our schools haven`t even got 100% coverage with PC`s........

Eircom is a private company making little or no investment in its copper network.....they are extracting as much profit from the market before they sell the company....bloody swiss government put an end to swisscom moving in.......

PS My 56k connection today hit its highest in a year 44k for 3 months during the summer it ran between 28k & 37k...................they are probably laughing at me in the Ukraine.................even when the russian were in charge they probably had faster connections lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Price certainty......eircom will only give me the 150hr package for the price of €49 euro......per month I run over the 150 hrs every month for this they hammer me for an additional €200 euro or more a month my last internet bill was €550 for there 150 hr package........I asked for an addtional 150hr package they said we can`t do that....of course they can`t why would they when they are taking me to the cleaners.....
    Have you considered getting a second line and a 180 hour package with a different company?

I was running on eircom 150hr package for 6 months

then I setup a BT 180hr package as well so I could switch dialup every two weeks.................

I need an always on connection to take full advantage of what I do.........I have a need for speed...........

In August eircom broadband assured me my exchange would be active and broadband would be available in 2 weeks.......so I cancelled the BT dialup which can run on the same number as the eircom package..............eircom never once mentioned that there was a possibility that my line would fail the test.... I had checked the distance from base station and it was fine......

my problem is a 56k connection is no good for internet usage in this day and age.............I want VOIP and all the other advantages broadband brings..............downloads of 60mb take 7 hrs or more...its a joke........

I have to wait for pages to load that are 90kb...........please........

I have checked a good few numbers in the area........and 50% or over are failing and these are places within 5 minutes walk of each other..............its the switching they have setup..........

anyways I am getting an engineers report on the problem full stop.........if it switching....they can come out and disconnect my line..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

I need an always on connection to take full advantage of what I do.........I have a need for speed...........
    My I enqire as to what that is? There has to be some way around the problem. The priority has to be to avoid paying 550 to the monopolist. This is only encouraging Eircom to not provide broadband.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

smartsystems, where are you based? Might be other alternatives.

Do other people in your vicinity have ADSL?

PS My 56k connection today hit its highest in a year 44k for 3 months during the summer it ran between 28k & 37k...................they are probably laughing at me in the Ukraine.................even when the russian were in charge they probably had faster connections lol

44k at over a mile out should get you a pass , 28k-37k means your line is not good enough.

You should look at the followiing ways to improve your internal wiring (and pass)

1. Disconnect all internal wiring save the socket inside the door (run an extension from your modem straight to it) does this up speed or give you constant 44k ?

2. Keep sky boxes disconnected as much as possible, hook up one or twice a week, also phones with displays, off with them. CLI boxes too.

3. Get someone who knows what they are doing to wire your internal sockets IN SERIES not in parallel , reconnect to main socket, does this give you better speeds.

You are marginal for BB not a 12k dialup disaster so do what you can to help yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 54,368 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I'm in the same ****ing shoes. I live about 6 kilometers from my exchange also, although mine hasn't been upgraded yet. My only hope is wireless broadband. I really believe the Government needs to step in. I DON'T want them to give Eircon money though. They need to get those exchanges opened up and some kind of tax incentive to the operators if they give rural Ireland Broadband access. The situation now really sucks.:mad:
    im the same but closer to the exchange

but i live in a village

will the villages exchanges ever be enabled does any one know ?

will the villages exchanges ever be enabled does any one know ?

Most of these villages will be live in the next 3 months if not live already . The staff on 1800503303 have a list of exchanges in the pipeline as well as live .

A
    ABBEYLEIX
    ABBEYDORNEY
    ACHILL SOUND
    ACLARE
    ADARE
    ANNAGARY
    ARDARA
    ARDFERT
    ARDRAHAN
    ARVAGH
    ASKEATON
    AUGHRIM
    AVOCA
    B
    BALLINAGH
    BALLINALEE
    BALLINHASSIG
    BALLINSPITTLE
    BALLINTRA
    BALLIVOR
    BALLYBOGHIL
    BALLYCARNEY
    BALLYCONNELL
    BALLYCULLANE
    BALLYDEHOB
    BALLYFARNAN
    BALLYGARRET
    BALLYGLUNIN
    BALLYHAUNIS
    BALLYHEIGE
    BALLYMACELLIGOTT
    BALLYMOTE
    BALLYRAGGET
    BALLYSPILLANE
    BALLYVARY
    BALTINGLASS
    BANSHA
    BELTURBET
    BENNETTSBRIDGE
    BERRINGS
    BLIARY
    BORRIS
    BRIDGE END
    BRITTAS
    BRITTAS BAY BRIDGE
    BROADFORD
    BRUFF
    BUNCLODY
    BUTTEVANT
    C
    CAHIRCIVEEN
    CALLAN
    CAMPILE
    CARLINGFORD
    CARNEW
    CARRICK
    CARRIGNAVAR
    CASTLEBELLINGHAM
    CASTLECONNELL
    CASTLEDERMOT
    CASTLEFINN
    CASTLELYONS
    CASTLESHANE
    CLAREGALWAY
    CLARINA
    CLERISTOWN
    CLOGHEEN
    CLONTIBRET
    COACHFORD
    COLLON
    COLLOONEY
    CORROFIN
    COSTELLO
    CROOKSTOWN
    CROSSMOLINA
    CURRAGH CAMP
    D
    DAINGEAN
    DELVIN
    DONADEA
    DOON
    DRIMOLEAGUE
    DROMAHAIR
    DRUMLISH
    DRUMSHANBO
    DUNCANNON
    DUNFANAGHY
    DUNKINEELY
    DUNLEER
    DURRUS
    E
    EASKY
    EDGEWORTHSTOWN
    ELPHIN
    F
    FALCARRAGH
    FERBANE
    FOXFORD
    FOYNES
    G
    GEASHILL
    GLASSAN
    GLENNAMADDY
    GLENTIES
    GRENAGH
    H
    HOLYCROSS
    I
    INCH ST. LAWRENCE
    INVER
    INVERAN
    J
    JENKINSTOWN
    JOHNSTOWN
    K
    KILBEGGAN
    KILBRITTAIN
    KILCARN
    KILLALA
    KILLALOE
    KILLANN
    KILLAVULLEN
    KILLEAGH
    KILLENAULE
    KILLERISK
    KILMACTHOMAS
    KILMALLOCK
    KILMEADEN
    KILMINCHY
    KINGSCOURT
    KINNEGAD
    KNOCK
    KNOCKCROGHERY
    L
    LISDOONVARNA
    LISMORE
    LITTLETON
    M
    MANORHAMILTON
    MILFORD
    MILLSTREET
    MOONCOIN
    MOUNTBELLEW
    MOUNTRATH
    MOVILLE
    MOYCULLEN
    MULLAGH
    N
    NEWMARKET-ON-FERGUS
    NEWPORT
    NEWTOWN CUNNINGHAM O
    OLDCASTLE
    OMEATH
    OULART
    OYLGATE
    P
    PALLAS GREEN
    PASSAGE EAST
    PEDLAR'S CROSS
    PORTLAW
    PORTUMNA
    R
    RAMELTON
    RAVENSDALE
    RIVERSTICK
    RIVERSTOWN (Tipp)
    RIVERSTOWN (Sligo)
    ROCHFORTBRIDGE
    ROOSKEY
    ROSS CARBERRY
    ROSSLARE STRAND
    S
    SCARRIFF
    SCOTSTOWN
    SHANAGOLDEN
    SHINRONE
    SIXMILEBRIDGE
    SMITHBOROUGH
    SPIDDAL
    STRADBALLY
    STRADONE
    STRAFFAN
    STRANDHILL
    STROKESTOWN
    T
    TALLOW
    TAMNEY
    TARA
    TARBERT
    TEERANEA
    TINAHELY
    TOBERCURRY
    TOMHAGGARD
    V
    VIRGINIA
    W
    WATERGRASSHILL
    WATERVILLE
    WELLINGTON BRIDGE

HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 54,368 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Most of these villages will be live in the next 3 months if not live already . The staff on 1800503303 have a list of exchanges in the pipeline as well as live .

HTH
    i rang them they told me they will have an update of the list in february

to bad my village isnt there

the closes to me is bansha im only 15 - 20 mins away :(

will every village be done in the future

and does it matter that theres a primary school in my town?

will every village be done in the future
    bY 2034, YES.
    and does it matter that theres a primary school in my town?
    So does everywhere, therefore no.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

A
    ABBEYLEIX
    ABBEYDORNEY
    ACHILL SOUND
    ACLARE
    ADARE
    ANNAGARY
    ARDARA
    ARDFERT
    ARDRAHAN
    ARVAGH
    ASKEATON
    AUGHRIM
    AVOCA
    I presume thats Aughrim in Co. Wicklow or might it be Aughrim just outside Ballinasloe in Co. Galway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Most of these villages will be live in the next 3 months if not live already .
    3 months, eh? I'm on that list, so I hope so :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

3 months for the ones in that list.. most (if not close to all) villages in Ireland that have their own mini/sub-exchange will not be enabled for years, at the current thinking.

.cg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Most of these villages will be live in the next 3 months
    Didnt we have someone on boards giving us a heads up on eircom exchanges going live last year? Anyone who can confirm if any off of that list have gone live yet or are about to? Particularly interested in Ballyhaunis, Co. Mayo...

I might cancel my wireless sub afterall..

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭DonegalMan

Sponge Bob wrote:
    CASTLEFINN
    SB - I know Castlefinn has been on the list for a while so I check a few numbers at regular intervals.

This last week or so, I've been gettiing "UNSUITABLE" on the result instead of "FAIL" on the Eircom line checker.

Is this of any significance ?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

DonegalMan wrote:
    This last week or so, I've been gettiing "UNSUITABLE" on the result instead of "FAIL" on the Eircom line checker.

I'm afraid not, it is just the new name for "FAIL".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭JimmySmith

Most villages dont have their own exchange and so are beyond Eircoms rubbish distance limits form the next big town.
    For some people there is no hope at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭DonegalMan

bk wrote:
    I'm afraid not, it is just the new name for "FAIL".
    Thought that was probably the case, lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭IT Loser

kaizersoze wrote:
    I presume thats Aughrim in Co. Wicklow or might it be Aughrim just outside Ballinasloe in Co. Galway?

Yeah, good point. My village of Kilpedder isn't mentioned on the exchange, and my line was activated for broadband inside the last 4 weeks [having previously either failed line tests or just because it was an old ex-direc line that had been disconnnected for a while...]

However, there is a place on the list called Johnstown- just across the street from me, which is an old placename but only re-inhabited so to speak inside the last 10 years----it is good to go according to the list but i don't know if it is MY Johnstown so to speak. When I ordered SKY last December, the girl in Scotland kept coming up with the name "Johnstown" on her computer system every time she ran my address through the database. So there may be a coincidence.

As a pure matter of interest, I was surprised that the news of my sudden eligibility for BB was coinciding with the arrival of Regional BB in the area. Is this more than a coincidence, [i.e. is this a tactic by Eircom] or is it just, as someone said above, a case of a monsoon following a drought?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

IT Loser wrote:
    As a pure matter of interest, I was surprised that the news of my sudden eligibility for BB was coinciding with the arrival of Regional BB in the area. Is this more than a coincidence, [i.e. is this a tactic by Eircom] or is it just, as someone said above, a case of a monsoon following a drought?
    Let's see... ignore small towns for years, until someone else puts in the hard work of assessing and stimulating demand; suddenly enable exchanges at about the same time alternative services are being launched; send teams of marketroids knocking on doors to dismiss said alternative services, while subtly misleading people about the capabilities of DSL...

Nah, Eircom would never behave like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Eircom had broadband demo stands set up in Waterford the last few days. When a guy asked me if I was interested, it was so tempting to tell him I've been waiting for a few years for Eircom to get their finger out and when they finally do, I won't be getting my broadband from Eircom. But I didn't. I just said "No" and kept walking.

Advertisement