Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Plan to deliver 500,000 Broadband connections by December 2007

Options
1235»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

There is a secret list. Eircom are doing maybe another 30-50 nationwide on no particular timescale. These include Clifden and Headford and Kilcolgan in Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The spongebob spys are everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Sponge Bob wrote:
    There is a secret list. Eircom are doing maybe another 30-50 nationwide on no particular timescale. These include Clifden and Headford and Kilcolgan in Galway
    dont suppose you know of any in limerick?

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Altreab

watty wrote:
    The spongebob spys are everywhere.

They maybe everywhere but more important they are ACCURATE :)

ring 1800503303 and ask them for the list of exchanges to be done in Limerick. They will give you the info if they have it.

Altreab told me about the Galway ones I named. :D Eircom have never published this list or announced it publically , hence 'secret' !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭cmac

Would any reliable sources out there have any idea if there are plans to enable the Kilmaley exchange in Clare (just outside Ennis)?
    I'm trying to relocate a business to the area and the only remaining problem is a decent braodband connection. VPN access is important so the latency/cost of satellite is not viable.
    Any info would be a huge bonus. Last week Eircom person I spoke too said it was not on the list up to the end of July and that they did not have any idea about future lists. She suggested that I call again "mid August" for an update!
    Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

Hey Guys

I understand only to well about Eircon opps meant Eircom and its total lack of broadband supply. I live in the country side 5 miles from any town that is broadband enabled and have been told I will never be able to get BB as our area is to small and has to little people for Eircom to bother updating our lines or exchange.

Eircom advertise BB all the time on the tv and how they must put their price to supply everyone with BB . But the fact is that they must chare 100% of people for BB when only 10% can get it . Anyway I’m going on a bit here .

I just want to let you know I have got BB no thanks to eircom . I got it from lastmaile Ireland (do know what the policy is about putting links in here and I’m no way connected to Lastmile . ) So the website is lastmile.ie . Hope that’s ok just want to help all these out there that were was pissed off as me with dial up and being told we’ll never have BB .

I know this is only available in a small geo area and you need line of sight for it to work. But even if one person sees this and it helps them to move from narrow band to broad band I’m happy.

Regards

Alan

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 196 ✭✭Stan 10

Ozeire wrote:
    Hey Guys

I just want to let you know I have got BB no thanks to eircom . I got it from lastmaile Ireland (do know what the policy is about putting links in here and I’m no way connected to Lastmile . ) So the website is lastmile.ie . Hope that’s ok just want to help all these out there that were was pissed off as me with dial up and being told we’ll never have BB .

Alan

How do you find the service from Last Mile Plenty of complaints about them here?

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

Well i've had nothing but good here . To go from my great dial up to BB is so good . I do alot of downloading and have had no trouble . What sort of problems are poeople having them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Thunder256

I live in Kilmaley and when I moved here in Jan 2004, I contacted Eircom about broadband and was told that they could not tell me when it was going to upgrade the exchange, I rang them 2 months ago and was told the same thing, I do not see the local exchange been upgraded for the simple fact that the population is too small, and no one else like Digiweb, BT or Smart will come in unless eircom upgrade the exchange!

Satellite broadband is a waste of time, very expensive to install (1,000 Euros +) and monthly cost can be 90 Euro!!!!!!!

We can only hope wireless broadband becomes more widely available.

I have dial-up at the moment and the connection drops a number of times every hour!! Impossible to work with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Thunder256 wrote:
    I live in Kilmaley and when I moved here in Jan 2004, I contacted Eircom about broadband and was told that they could not tell me when it was going to upgrade the exchange, I rang them 2 months ago and was told the same thing, I do not see the local exchange been upgraded for the simple fact that the population is too small, and no one else like Digiweb, BT or Smart will come in unless eircom upgrade the exchange!

Satellite broadband is a waste of time, very expensive to install (1,000 Euros +) and monthly cost can be 90 Euro!!!!!!!

We can only hope wireless broadband becomes more widely available.

I have dial-up at the moment and the connection drops a number of times every hour!! Impossible to work with it.
    You should have a look at vodafone unlimited 3g would suit you down to the ground.You might not get broadband speeds but would have a more stable connection with simalar speeds to dialup at the very least. Its discussed indepth here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054945911

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Thunder256

Thanks for the info, I will check that out. Did anyone get a flyer in the post from the Trinity Group saying that wireless broadband was available in the Kilmaley area, I have rang them twice already and I am only getting through to reception, They have not rang me back either, I think we are getting Ennis post out our way so I am not sure if wireless is out our way yet.

I am wondering if anyone else have got this and have been able to contact the Trinity Group, let me know.

I would avoid that lot unless you have a business address for them and can check their 'track record' out.

how about these lads

http://www.radiowave.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=section&id=8&Itemid=102

or maybe even these lads :D

http://www.comreg.ie/industry/default.asp?STV4=MIT&TV4Exp=y&navid=252&s=4

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Sponge Bob wrote:

I hope this is true. My exchange is Kilcolgan, only 1.6 km away. It would make my day.

I called eircom about enabling it before. I was told it wasn't on their [publically-available?] build programme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dk1970

I'm in the same boat live 1.5 miles from Kilcolgan, but hurray as I rang eircom last week and they kindly informed me that the exchange will be upgraded at the end of September, (exchange at the Garda station).

I've done my homework and once eircom have up graded, all going well going to get a Phone/broadband package from perlico for €50.00 per month, BT is slightly cheaper at €45.00 buy my investigations show their after sales is not too hot.

Was also wondering does anyone have any info on Magnet! Heard that the TV/phone/broadband package isn't great, that if you are on line the TV signal can freeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Are they the crowd that offer 24 Mbps BB?

Well, I'd imagine that your tv stream could freeze if you eating into your bandwidth. Would 8 Mbps per set-top box be good enough?

They can't guarantee you get the stated speeds, but if you weren't to go OTT, it might still be perfectly acceptable.

dk1970, I ran their online test on my number a few months back and was told, of course, they it was not suitable nor on their build programme. Added my number to their list. I don't doubt that they wouldn't roll out their services in our area just for us two! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Shyboy

My neighbour called Eircom yesterday and was told that my local exchange in Turloughmore, Co.Galway will be DSL enabled by the end of this month (September).

If this is true, it will be fantastic.

Cheers
    Jason

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

ethernet wrote:
    Are they the crowd that offer 24 Mbps BB?

Well, I'd imagine that your tv stream could freeze if you eating into your bandwidth. Would 8 Mbps per set-top box be good enough?

The 24Mbps is a business product and you'd only ever only get 24 on a perfect line right next to the exchange.

Most people report getting a total of 8 - 12 Mbps and yes that is shared with TV and can and does cause the TV stream to break up in many cases.

Also such a setup wouldn't be suitable for having two TV streams (watch/record two different channels at the same time), not enough bandwidth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

It's worth pointing out that this magnet service isn't available as a bitstream service from eircom enabled DSL exchanges. It's only available on exchanges where Magnet has installed their own gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Magnet are changing over to MPEG4 instead ot MPEG2. The transcoding of any existing MPEG2 source will degrade it slightly, but overall it should be a better viewing experience as it will give similar quality on nearly half the bitrate.

However HDTV decently EVEN in MPEG4 would require 11Mbps. If you want HDTV , it is Satellite you need.

• Advertisement
Advertisement