Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nice BB primer page

Options
  • 24-11-2004 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭

here

What is LLU?
    LLU is Local Loop Unbundling - it means that other carriers can get access to the other end of the copper telephone line that runs into your house. With LLU, they can connect your line to their own telephone switches, DSLAMs, etc and provide you with any number of services, and do this completely independently of eircom.

What is Bitstream?
    Bitstream is where carriers can connect an ATM pipe to eircom and receive the stream of ATM cells that originate from your ADSL CPE. With this system, eircom still control the copper and the DSLAMs, but at the next level up (the ATM layer), all bits are transferred from your house directly to the third party carrier. They can then take this stream of ATM cells, and either offer ATM-based services, or more likely, connect to their IP equipment and provide IP services.

What is L2TP?
    L2TP == Layer 2 Tunnelling Protocol. L2TP is very common in markets where there is a dominant carrier that controls much of the copper into homes and businesses. If LLU or bitstream-style connections are unavailable or uneconomical, L2TP is the preferred solution. When a customer initiates a PPP connection over their ADSL line, the BAS forwards this PPP session inside an L2TP tunnel to the customer's ISP. Since L2TP can run over IP, third party ISPs typically need just one IP connection to the DSL provider to offer IP services to customers. (L2TP forwarding decisions are typically based on the domain name of the customer's username e.g. user@ispX.com would force the PPP session to be encapsulated in a tunnel to ispX.)
    L2TP is used by eircom to wholesale DSL to ISPs such as BT and Netsource.

John

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭eircomtribunal

Very interesting read in the linked document.

Residential

There is one residential product: i-stream starter
    single user
    512/128
    4GB allowance per month
    48:1
    rate-adaptive
    low interleaving
    48:1 means that the contention rate is twice that of the business product. Rate-adaptive means that the service is available to any customer whose line can achieve a DSL rate between 256K and 512K.

This quote is about the (old?) i-stream product.
    What about Eircom's current residential offer? Is that still rate adaptive? I.e. not a 512 k service for all?

I am asking because of McRedmond's answer in the Nov hearing of the Oireachtas Communications Committee, where this dialogue took place:

Chairman: What is Eircom’s definition of broadband?

Mr. McRedmond: Our definition is 512 Kbps as minimum broadband speed. Other definitions in Europe work off speeds as low as 284 Kbps.

Chairman: Is 512 Kbps available to all the lines that Eircom has enabled?

Mr. McRedmond: Correct. It is available to one million lines. The speed of 512 Kbps is our test criterion.

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

All residential dsl products (the ones with 128kbit upload) are radsl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Mc Redmond Lied but whats new there people.

I know of 2 people who have consistently been getting about 400k on Eircom RADSL. When they complained to Phil they were passed over to one of Phils minions who deals with escalations.

The escalation minion informed them that the RADSL product is an UP TO 512k product and not a GUARANTEED 256k product. I suspect that the SEC filing may have the truth buried in it somewhere :)

M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Nope not a word of it...

http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1267841/000110465904037311/a04-13939_1ex99d2.htm

You will only find reference to ADSL....They do mention their "low cost" ADSL service though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭eircomtribunal

crawler wrote:

For my maths I use the figure of 1 600 000 lines. Could somebody explain the figures about the number of lines( PSTN+WLR = 1 588 000) and ISDN (371 000) and total access channels (2 042 000)?

How many of those ISDN would be the kind of ISDN I have installed?

P.

• Advertisement
Advertisement