Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

stupid signs...

• 24-11-2004 1:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭

ive noticed stupid signs around dublin lately......
    theres one on some hotel kinda place. big huge gates and on the gate
    and big sign saying "No signs of any kind permitted"....

and im sure you've all seen the clamping people?
    whats with the feckin sign and thier slogan?

"Dublin Clamping, Getting Dubling Moving"

I thought no your not, your stopping us moving by clamping us.....?!?!?

:eek: people are gettin thicker, its time to trim the herd

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

yeh,heh i cant stop laughing everytime i see them clamping vans....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

ive noticed stupid signs around dublin lately......
    theres one on some hotel kinda place. big huge gates and on the gate
    and big sign saying "No signs of any kind permitted"....

Aha there is one of those signs on Ringsend Road, always looked at that and laughed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭fletch

Sign beside Maynooth train station..

| Car Park Entrance.... |
    | No parking here....... |

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Kilgore-Trout

I was eating some peanuts the other day and there was a sticker on the pack that said-
    "WARNING - this product may contain traces of nuts"

How stupid is that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

hairdryers that say do not use in shower........

:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭irldavem

I was eating some peanuts the other day and there was a sticker on the pack that said-

How stupid is that?

Tis the result of some lawsuit apparently.

Someguy bought the peanuts, ate them, and sued the company because he was allergic to peanuts.
    Ever since then, if you buy a packet of peanuts, it will tell you there may be traces of nut inside!

Its like putting a warning on milk saying may contain drops of milk. CRAZY!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

How stupid is that?

At halloween I bought a packet of monkey nuts & was standing in the queue to pay for the shopping & also happened to see the warning sign on the packet - "WARNING - this product may contain traces of nuts". I got the strangest looks from the other shoppers, 'cause I just burst out laughing :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

It is crazy that they put that sign on the side of packets of peanuts but I doubt that it is the result of a lawsuit. The courts don't reward people for being completely fncking stupid. I'd say its more likely to be a result of a food labeling directive that all products containing nuts must have the sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Kilgore-Trout

Linoge wrote:
    It is crazy that they put that sign on the side of packets of peanuts but I doubt that it is the result of a lawsuit. The courts don't reward people for being completely fncking stupid. I'd say its more likely to be a result of a food labeling directive that all products containing nuts must have the sign.

it still seems a bit stupid when the main constituent part of peanuts is NUTS! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭The_Goose

The courts don't reward people for being completely fncking stupid?????
    Where you from, mc donalds made me fat, red bull didnt give me wings, i broke my back breaking into to that house GIVE ME MONEY!!

But i do agree with ya its more than likely due to some regulation. But almost everything has "May contain traces of nuts on it" Just incase some ****er does sue!

/me crawls back under rock

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

it still seems a bit stupid when the main constituent part of peanuts is NUTS! :D

Which is harder to believe? A directive that says all food containing nuts must have a sign "This product contains nuts", yes, peanuts would fall into this category. Or do you believe that a person who knew he was alergic to nuts, ate a bag of peanuts and sued because it didn't have that sign on it????

Who has ever successfully sued McDonalds for making them fat etc? It has never happened. The suit about the burgalar hurting himself on a machine is true though. Really rediculous. There are a load of law suits that are a load of made up bollox aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Anyway.......... funny signs..........

funnysign_008.htm
    funnysign_011.htm
    funnysign_012.htm
    funnysign_015.htm
    funnysign_019.htm
    funnysign_023.htm
    funnysign_031.htm
    funnysign_033.htm
    funnysign_035.htm

Chkn_boo.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭asphalt-cushion

They're all pretty good, especially the second last one. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

That has to be deliberate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

http://www.channel4.com/entertainment/tv/microsites/G/graham/gallery/badsigns/dyke_hotel.html

Funny signs (mostly sexually orientated) from around the world, courtesy of the viewers of Graham Norton

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

But peanuts aren't nuts are they? :confused: they're legumes like peas and beans. maybe that's why the warning's there - because there might be traces of actual nuts in the product?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭elivsvonchiaing

Think the warnings on cigarette packets are fairly pointless tbh. Most smokers would smoke themselves into financial ruin before giving up, if they went overnight to €25/pack. Think colour pictures of autopsied lungs may be more effective... Think they do this in Canada.

... On French pack: "Fumer tue". While my French is rusty doesn't this literally mean "Smoking shoots (you)"? :confused: Can't think this is any more effective though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

what about these warnings?
    http://www.fakefags.co.uk/packshots.asp
    - you could get hit by a bus tomorrow
    - live fast, die young
    - smoking makes you look hard
    - social smoking doesn't count
    - you will get fat if you stop smoking
    - smoking is cool
    - buy your own fags
    - smoking makes you look big and clever
    - it's ok if you're drunk
    - smoking makes you look sexy
    - please don't tell my mum
    - smoking supports the NHS
    - at least I don't smoke crack
    - sorry, only one left
    - it might never happen
    - you've got to die of something
    - it's ok, I'm not pregnant
    - non-smokers may causes irritation
    - if you can read this you're too close
    - my gran smokes 40 a day and she's 93

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Frank Drebin

I saw a plumming van in Dublin the other day with a very catchy catch phrase: Your sh*t is our bread and butter.

Dead serious here!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

Think the warnings on cigarette packets are fairly pointless tbh. Most smokers would smoke themselves into financial ruin before giving up, if they went overnight to €25/pack. Think colour pictures of autopsied lungs may be more effective... Think they do this in Canada.

... On French pack: "Fumer tue". While my French is rusty doesn't this literally mean "Smoking shoots (you)"? :confused: Can't think this is any more effective though.
    Fumer tue means "Smoking kills".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

there was a sign in hueston station which you can only see from the train which says something along the line

"Warning -Risk of Trains in the area"

no sh*t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Aava

There's a really old sign down on Dun Laoghaire harbour that used to read:

NO SWIMMING ALLOWED

but now it reads

NO WIMMIN ALLOWED

:D hehehe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

is'nt there a sign on one of the bridges over the canal or the liffey which lists all the diseases you can catch by swimming in it. (i remember someone joking that it was so long that it continues on the next bridge...)

http://www.funnysign.com/funnysign_024.htm

For all those who love a good laugh here's a website with hundreds of funny signs.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭L!aM

Surely the label saying "whatever brand peanuts" is warning enough...

You know the way it says, 'may contain traces of nut' on hazelnut yogurt.

Well...Dir!

Advertisement