Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Legality of this Firearm

Options
  • 24-11-2004 2:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭

I was recently in the Tallaght Rod and Gun Shop, looking at getting a new Shotgun, semi automatic type.

He brought me into the back, where I saw, a Franchini SPAS 12 and 15 shotguns and also a USAS 12 Shotgun with a Box magazine.

Are these legal here and if so how, I can't understand why someone would want a Military type weapon as such as they are not meant for sport or hunting.

Anyone else being there ??

By the way he is very expensive for weapons as well, long have the days of Watts on the Quays gone :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

OT, but heres some recommended reading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Horeb

How's that now doodle :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

How's that now doodle :)

I think there might also be an issue with you advertising something in your sig!

I'm not one to talk (:D) but then, my sig is a temporary charity thing and will be gone by xmas

There is nothing to advertise as most people here wont use it but if asked will remove it....

Anyhow about my original thread !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

It's legal allright - though not very practical.

Mentioning Watts and legality in the same sentence is somewhat ironic though, considering the reason they closed down...

• Advertisement

Yeah because of a dodgy pistol, if I am right I remember but they were a great shop and gunsmiths....

Could have been better if that did'nt happen....

But are these weapons not classed as "normal" weapons and what kinda person who pruchase them... :confused:

Define "normal" for me and we'll be well on the way to answering that one.

I seem to remember surly and unhelpful service in Watts on the occasions I was a customer there....

I bought my first shotgun there back in 95 in the day.

One of the guys who worked there, Tony works in the Gun Gallery in Drogheda.

Is there many Firearms dealers here in Dublin or surrounding area's with a good selection of weapons ???

Sorry Defintions normal,

Not being a gun from Terminator "3" or "Doom" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Quick namby-pamby moderator editing job to the thread title - since the word "weapon" implies a planned usage for a firearm that no-one would particularly like to be associated with...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Terrier

I was recently in the Tallaght Rod and Gun Shop, looking at getting a new Shotgun, semi automatic type.
    An excellent semi-auto shotgun (Super Magnum 3.5” (89mm) cartridges)
    Beretta A391 3.5 Xtrema
    http://www.beretta.com/index.aspx?m=74&idc=1&ids=31

A cheaper version, but also an excellent gun.
    Remington 11-87
    http://www.remington.com/firearms/shotguns/1187sps.htm
    Also by adding a factory scope mount the attachs internally (http://www.remington.com/accessories/factory_parts/scopemounts.htm) and add a Bushnell Trophy Series, 1x28mm Red Dot Sight it makes a great high duck at dusk shooting shortgun.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

What are the price's? Also, are rounds and practice shoots expensive?
    I know of two gun shops near-by, which both sell shotguns. As there are no guns being made in Ireland, and importing guns would be hard, most guns, I'm told, are 2nd hand, and could be WW2 era weapons (some of the guns I've seen look like them, anyhoo's).

since the word "weapon" implies a planned usage for a firearm that no-one would particularly like to be associated with...

I reckon most rabbits, pheasants, ducks, deer, etc etc might disagree on that....

As there are no guns being made in Ireland, and importing guns would be hard, most guns, I'm told, are 2nd hand, and could be WW2 era weapons (some of the guns I've seen look like them, anyhoo's).

You were told wrongly in spectacular fashion. There are (tens of?) thousands of sporting firearms imported into this country every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

civdef wrote:
    I reckon most rabbits, pheasants, ducks, deer, etc etc might disagree on that....
    I doubt it severely - most game has no desire to be associated with firearms and tend to try to disassociate themselves from the shooter as rapidly as possible, in the opposite direction, when given the chance to express their opinion on the matter ;):D

Seriously, though - a SPAS-12 for hunting? You'd want to be built like Arnold Schwarzenegger to hold the thing and if you really need a semi-auto to hunt with, well, I might be so bold as to suggest a little more time working on aiming ;):p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭gouda

Sparks wrote:
    I doubt it severely - most game has no desire to be associated with firearms and tend to try to disassociate themselves from the shooter as rapidly as possible, in the opposite direction, when given the chance to express their opinion on the matter ;):D

Seriously, though - a SPAS-12 for hunting? You'd want to be built like Arnold Schwarzenegger to hold the thing and if you really need a semi-auto to hunt with, well, I might be so bold as to suggest a little more time working on aiming ;):p

You aim a rifle/pistol, you point a shotgun. That's what I was taught but no doubt if I'm wrong someone will "point" me in the right direction. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Pull!theother1

There was a guy who used to shoot in Kileek in the late 80s early 90s who among other guns used to try to shoot clays with a Spas. He had a solid plastic stock on it as well as the gun having a folding skeleton stock (my memory may be wrong here :confused: ).

The battle peep sights were far from ideal for shooting clays and I recall it was a pig to swing. It certainly looked the part, exactly what for was the question though........ :eek:

The same guy also drove a DeLoreon, so it was probably just a case of big toys for big boys.. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭fiacha

It certainly looked the part, exactly what for was the question though........ :eek:

blowing out door hinges i'd imagine.
    there was a benelli SBE in Outdoor Hobby a few months back. BlacK synthetic stock, 8 shot extended mag, black sling with ammo strap. looked rediculous, but just the job for a vermin controller i suppose.

would love a go of it at a clay shoot, nine birds in the air and a box of solphadine on standby !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭Irishglockfan

Spas 15,12, Daweoo USAS12,Saiga 12 are more point saturation weapons[sorry sparks] than shotguns .They are supposed to give you in a combat situation a bigger variety of choice in quick changing your ammo.[IE drop and change the mags ]
    As such they lose out against LMGs in weight[a USAS12 with 20 rnd drum weighs about as much as a FN SAW without the ammo load] and you can hump less12 ga shotgun ammo than you can 5.56.
    On the practical shotgun circut,they appear but seem to disapper pretty quick when folks buy, or use tricked out remmys or benellis.Plus apart from the saiga the SPAS and USAS are pretty complex and fiddley in the mechanics dept.
    Have hunted with one ONCE.It is just too heavy to lug around all day .Best use would be a "domestic vermin repeller".If you have to deal with eight or more "rats"it would be ideal.
    Their cool looks factor howeveris incredible and they are shotguns so for those who want a toy that is intresting and expensive should be able to have one. :D
    Watts Bros, got my first airgun from there many moons ago.That was a really lovely shop.Seems like all the good old gunstores in Ireland are now gone.[sigh]

Advertisement