Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a freelance advanced webdesigner for a job

Options
  • 24-11-2004 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭

Hi,
    I run a web design company and at present all my senior designers are on other jobs all the way up to Christmas, I’m looking to hire someone to work from there own home on a project and possibly keep you on the books after that for other overflow jobs.

Applicants must have extensive knowledge one html programming language asp, php etc.

Some information about the site would be:
    - It would need to accept credit cards
    - Would need to remember usernames and passwords and there details
    - Would need to use a SMS gateway to send passwords of registering users to there mobile details
    - Would need to auto-resize or crop images which would be uploaded by the users

That is some of the requirements, If you think you could handle a project like this then PM me or email me your CV and include one or two links relievant to this type of site which you have done in the past.

Regards,
    Paul Dunne.
    Legendary Designs Ltd.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭paulthelegend

Hi,
    Just an update, I have received great response and keep them coming, I wont be in the office till Monday so if you want to send your CV's you can use the gmail

legendarydesigns@gmail.com

It will allow me to look over them during the weekend, make sure you include one or two past sites or even projects if your just starting.

We will be contacting everyone who PM'ed or emailed us, on Monday and give more detailed description of the requirements. Great to see the amount of Irish talent out there, any further overflow jobs will be going Irish from now on.

Regards,
    Paul Dunne.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Developer. Web Developer. Don't associate hackers with fingerpainters please. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Figment

dahamsta wrote:
    Developer. Web Developer. Don't associate hackers with fingerpainters please. :)

Fingerpainters!! You think you are so damn special just cos you can add a few 1's and 0's, write some code, develop complex search algorithms and back end systems and create the infrastructure that runs the Internet and my friendly bank machine....

...what was i saying? :)

Alan
    -Fingerpainter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

Legends the lot of you.

Dave,
    - Fingerpainter && bitshifter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mr jules verne

Fingerpainting indeed! :cool: Shur, where would we be wihtout 'em?!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

It's an important distinction. When I saw this post I assumed the person was seeking a photoshop/dreamweaver hack. you know the ones who end up with width and height values in every cell of a table because they stretch their tables in design view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

hmm it helps with browser compatibility to enter values in most table cells.

Can anyone explain why this post of offering a job to someone on boards has turned into a farce.

We have gotten many applicants and will be sending out requirements in the next day or two, so thanks to everyone who applied I will personally respond to each one wither we need your services at present or not.

We are not looking for a photoshop/dreamweaver hack, We are looking for someone to do a custom job, this type of job you can not just buy off the shelf and stick your name in the blank spaces, we would have no problem getting one of our full timers to do that during their lunch break :)

and Heggie is right, values are a lot better then % or blanks in cells

So can we keep the reply’s about this thread relevant thanks, there’s a test forum in the system section that people can play in and get loads of posts beside there name :)

As musician said, it's an important distinction and entirely relevant to this thread. Your thread title and post say that you're looking for a "webdesigner", however your requirements are appropriate to a developer. There's a massive difference between a designer and a developer, and getting the thread title right could well be the difference between average and sh1t-hot. Both designers and developers are impatient sods you know. :)

The fingerpainter jibe was just that, a jibe intended to poke a little fun at people that ignore the smiley so they can get straight to the righteous indignation. I actually quite like fingerpainters, not least because they get so het up when you call them fingerpainters. Oh, and sorry for not replying to your PM btw, I tend to skip past PMs that belong on the boards in the hope that they'll appear there before I have to reply.

adam

Oh now i understand, im not being into titles, even though i know most people in any business love there titles. So my appoligies, I am looking for a web-developer.

Still i also got some web designers which i may use on future jobs, and im sure most web developers that seen the thread came in and had a read anyway.

• Advertisement

Hi Paul. Some people are both web designers and web developers. I know I am. That's worth keeping in mind.

Oh now i understand, im not being into titles, even though i know most people in any business love there titles.
    It's not a job title, it's a job description; not Executive Vice President In Charge Of DumTeeDum but plumber and electrician. Neither of which is a label that people love because they're a pretentious twat, it's what they are.

What you did there was advertise for a plumber when you were actually looking for an electrician. Sure, they both work on building sites and they both work with building infrastructure and they both probably know more about the other's job than most people, but believe me, you're going to be in a small bit of trouble when your plumber tries to hook the jacks up to the three phase.

Seriously, if you run a web design company and you don't know the difference between a designer and a developer, you need to talk to your employees more. Buy them some scones at elevenses and shoot the breeze with them over a $container of $caffeinatedBeverage, you'd be surprised what you'd learn.
    JustHalf wrote:
    Some people are both web designers and web developers. I know I am.
    Same here. I gave up the designer tag a long time ago (when I realised I wasn't very good), but I still fire together the odd not-innovative-but-serviceable site for friends and colleagues. I also do a bit of hosting, a little networking, some system administration and lots of LAMP, so I guess I'm a jack-of-all-trades-and-master-of-none. But I still think it's ridiculous to call a developer a designer. :)

Anyway, I'm ranting now so I'll shut up.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

hey if ya ever need any designing then ya can give me a shout ;);)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

damhamsta wrote:
    But I still think it's ridiculous to call a developer a designer.
    And vice versa, of course.

Of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

heggie wrote:
    hmm it helps with browser compatibility to enter values in most table cells.

I believe css is the way forward tbh

Still need tables to output data and such and such, my man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Not at all with XHTML, CSS and DIV tags. I refer you to a friends site as proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

dahamsta wrote:

Oh I believe in tables too, just don't put the attributes in the cells, thats what css files are for

dahamsta wrote:
    Only for tabular data, and you should do it right.

http://www.yourtotalsite.com/archives/xhtml_css/tables_semantics_and_cs/Default.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I wasn't trying to hijack a genuine post about a job. Just pointing out the difference between a designer and developer. As for tables I stick to css where possible and my statement was more aimed towards the kinds of designers I have worked with who love dreamweaver and know little or no html so you get alot of, imo, unessary code in the html but we can surely debate those things in a different thread.

JustHalf wrote:
    Only for tabular data
    I didn't think I was required to target my posts at terminally stupid people that wouldn't guess the blindingly obvious.

Hehe, I've come across them, and I've had that argument with them before. :D

Most of them are fingerpainters.

(I'm kidding, I'm kidding! Most of them are management, obviously.)

adam

Advertisement