Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

do iol or eircom get throttled?

• 24-11-2004 3:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭

I'm seriously considering switching to them, so I was wondering if they throttle BT?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

No but when you broke the cap East used to kick you off for the rest of the month, I don't know whether they have started charging yet or if they are still kicking people off :confused: As for Eircon they have begun charging for breaking the cap, at least they keep saying they will/are :rolleyes: No throttle on either service though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Diabolus

IOL Will prevent your connection for the rest of the month if you break the cap.
    If it happens again they kick you off for breach of contract, or they charge you.
    But i havent heard of anyone being charged yet. No throttle on either services i believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Thanks for the input guys!

I'm with Digiweb now, and my downloads are slow as hell! my friend who is with digiweb too and has 1meg line also has very slow downloads with BT or kazaa or emule or any other p2p! my browsing is still fast! so defenatelly throttle :(

speeds never go over 12k!

and the funny thing is that, everytime I talk to digiweb support(btw they have the nicest support people I have ever talked to) somehow magically, my speeds go back to full............ for couple of days!

I think i'll jump ships to eircom or iol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Diabolus

I sugest you get the trial and see if the service suits you.
    Best of luck on your choices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Thanks guys!

One more question, which has usually better pings? iol or eircom?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Eircom have slightly better then IOL afaik.

But with IOL I usually (ingame) get 20 -> 30 on the irish BF server, and maybe 30 -> 50 to the rest of europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Rodge

CyberGhost wrote:
    Thanks for the input guys!

I'm with Digiweb now, and my downloads are slow as hell! my friend who is with digiweb too and has 1meg line also has very slow downloads with BT or kazaa or emule or any other p2p! my browsing is still fast! so defenatelly throttle :(

speeds never go over 12k!

and the funny thing is that, everytime I talk to digiweb support(btw they have the nicest support people I have ever talked to) somehow magically, my speeds go back to full............ for couple of days!

I think i'll jump ships to eircom or iol

With UTV basic package and latest Azureus I was getting sutained 70k per second last night d/ling Bittorrent. If you notice throttling or suspect it just change the port that your program uses, Azureus uses 6881, I changed it to 7983, used the test port feature and all was well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zenith74

I switched over from Eircom to IOL/Esat a few weeks back, I used to get solid 50-55kb/s on BT with Eircom, now I'm tending to get more like 25kb/s. Sometimes it goes up to 40-45kb/s but pretty rarely.
    Browsing websites etc. seems just as fast as Eircom though, so for the average user IOL is defintely the better solution IMO...

Advertisement