Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Caramel Slices

• 24-11-2004 3:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭

Are they cake, pies are what would ya call em?

What ever they are they're f**kin gorgeous.

We made em once when I was doing Home Ec, in Transition year, would love if I still had the recipe.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

They're much nicer to make yourself and the caramel's all soft, instead of the hard prepacked ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

memphis wrote:
    Are they cake, pies are what would ya call em?

What ever they are they're f**kin gorgeous.

We made em once when I was doing Home Ec, in Transition year, would love if I still had the recipe.
    Weird, when I saw this thread I straight away thought of this Home Ec food day we had in Transition year. Man they are filling!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

mmm caramelly goodness

damn i wish i knew how to make them, the prepacked ones are always too dry or something, damn annoying...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Make shortbread base and bake. That's the easy part. The caramel is hard or easy depending on how you do it. I'm a bot of a traditionalist and I make it the old-fashioned way. Get a tin of condensed milk, some butter and sugar and heat gently in a saucepan stirring all the time. Now you have to be really careful here as it will burn in a flash. So low heat, lots of stirring and lots of patience. After a while, you'll see the texture of the milk change and feel it becoming more viscous. Voila, caramel. Pour over the shortcake base.

For the topping I'd always use real chocolate, not cooking chocolate. That stuff is just horrible.

The cheat's way to making caramel is to place an unopened tin of condensed milk in a saucepan of simmering water for a few hours. Take it out, cool it a little and open to find caramel inside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭memphis

dudara wrote:
    Make shortbread base and bake. That's the easy part. The caramel is hard or easy depending on how you do it. I'm a bot of a traditionalist and I make it the old-fashioned way. Get a tin of condensed milk, some butter and sugar and heat gently in a saucepan stirring all the time. Now you have to be really careful here as it will burn in a flash. So low heat, lots of stirring and lots of patience. After a while, you'll see the texture of the milk change and feel it becoming more viscous. Voila, caramel. Pour over the shortcake base.

For the topping I'd always use real chocolate, not cooking chocolate. That stuff is just horrible.

The cheat's way to making caramel is to place an unopened tin of condensed milk in a saucepan of simmering water for a few hours. Take it out, cool it a little and open to find caramel inside.
    The memories, I seem to remember vaguely how to make it now.

However, I think you forgot to mention the golden syrup?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Naw, I use sugar instead of golden syrup, only difference is that it just takes the sugar that little bit longer to dissolve

Advertisement