Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft use Firefox in Press Release

• 24-11-2004 4:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭

Just read on a fark link that Microsoft, in a press release about their new search engine, gave a screenshot of the page, displayed in Firefox
    NY87511172021-big.jpg

link

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

The person who made the screenshots probably "offically" uses IE, but while working uses FF :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Since M$ are so commited to standards it makes sense to make sure their search engine can be viewed by all popular browsers.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/chats/transcripts/04october14.mspx
    Dave_MSFT (Expert):
    Q: Does Mozilla firefox have better security than Internet Explorer and is it a good idea to use?
    A: Hi Nicholas, I can't really comment on Firefox security however I can say that on Internet Explorer we are committed to security, the results of which can be seen with Windows XP SP2. If you have automatic updates enabled you can be sure that you are using one of the most secure browsers available.
    Dave_MSFT (Expert):
    Q: Yes I would like to see tabbed browsing just like firefox, plugin management (small control panel), enhanced skins without third party software, less resource intensive
    A: Thanks. We definitely hear this feedback. With Windows XP SP2 there is already the addition of an addon manager. We know we have work to do in some of these other areas and are excited at the prospect of improving the user exerience.
    Dave_MSFT (Expert):
    Q: MSFT won't allow Firefox to access certain cites WUV5 or WUV4 would be examples. But why is it that if you want to use html colors and fonts and make something bold or underlined in web based email like Hotmail or Yahoo, but Firefox won't in html email?
    A: I think that's a question probably best asked of the team that develops Firefox. There are many sites that make use of advanced Internet Explorer functionality that is not available on other browsers so the experience is reduced if you are not using IE. Specifically the Windows Update sites need to use ActiveX controls to help update the Operating System.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/chats/transcripts/04july08.mspx
    Host: Dave (Microsoft)
    Q: Will there be "extensions" available on IE like there is on firefox
    A: We actually have great extensions mechanism available on Internet Explorer and it is great to see the other browsers following in this area. Examples include things such as the Google toolbar, ActiveX Controls such as flash and even a behavior that adds support for MathML. These allow others to add value to Internet Explorer. Are there particular extensions you are looking for?
    Q: As a tech support person, [why should I] continue to waste my time supporting IE, when firefox/opera/et.al. don't require so much maintenance/upkeep?
    A: I'm not sure what the basis of the maintenance/upkeep statement is. IE is a super powerful web browser that hundreds of millions of people choose to use. As long as they're using it, MS is going to keep making it better. As long as that many people use it, there will be bad people who try to take it down.
    Host: Dean (Microsoft)
    Q: "hundreds of millions...choose to use"??? how about IE is so integrated into Windows that its impossible not to use for the average user?
    A: I guess we disagree. I don't think it's hard for a typical user to install another web browser, even if it's just for trial. I think the download numbers at cnet.com, for example, bear that out.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/chats/transcripts/04sept01.mspx
    Host: YongRhee (Microsoft)
    Q: Night : why didn’t firefox get bundled with SP2, would have fixed a lot of bugs
    A: It's a 3rd party product.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

I couldn't help but notice that he didn't directly answer most of the questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭NotMe

Yeah and it's Firefoxs fault that it can't display IE specific websites and isn't it great that Firefox is following in IEs footsteps with the extensions... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭MazdaMan

With the exception of one or two dubios websites, I haven't found any issues with firefox, that cause more issues than IE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Q: "hundreds of millions...choose to use"??? how about IE is so integrated into Windows that its impossible not to use for the average user?
    A: I guess we disagree....

I think the EU disagrees with Microsoft on that one.

I also love the way the Microsoft guy talks about Security then how you can easily update a operating system through simple ActiveX controls. Isint security a wonder. Also got to love him saying "Internet Explorer we are committed to security, the results of which can be seen with Windows XP SP2" ah yes. One set of little bug fixes out of how many hundreds of bugs that Microsoft must know about that exist in IE?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Microsoft certainly are a funny crowd at times. If you can update the system's operating system using simple active x controls, imagine what some dubious websites can do. For instance im sitting here in college right now and all the computers run internet explorer as their main browser. Every time im on the pc i always install mozilla firefox. Why? Security mainly...

You should see it, i put most of this down to the use of internet explorer, when i run the task manager i see about 30 processes per pc that should not be there, ie gmt.exe, precision time.exe, etc etc you know the usual suspects. And i know for a fact that it is internet explorer installing these due to security issues as we have identical dell pcs in another lab not networked together at all (used for tests... etc) and in no way connected to the internet, and they're not infected with anything at all.

Gotta love microsoft eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭daveJAM

off topic

Achilles, if you have to install firefox everytime you might want to check out portable firefox.

http://johnhaller.com/jh/mozilla/portable_firefox/

Works great on a usb drive or even just a network drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Hrm, i would have thought that i could just copy the program's folder over to a pen drive and then execute... that's a pretty cool idea... now if only i hadn't have taken my pen drive apart. (Lol it stopped working anyways...)

Advertisement