Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Soutside-Northside, D4's, etc.

• 24-11-2004 4:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭

When is this generalisation going to end? I know a lot of people would call any type of posh person a D4 but there are a lot of people that call anyone from D4 posh. I mean, Ringsend and Irishtown are as bad as any other place in Dublin at times. Same goes for the Northside-Southside thing. There's probably around the same amount of scumbags and crime on the Southside. Places on the southside that certainly couldn't be regarded as posh: Tallagh (Jobstown, etc.), Clondalkin (Neilstown, Bawnogue), Ballyfermot, Crumlin, Drimnagh, Palmerstown, Inchicore, Dolphin's Barn, The Coombe, James Street, Pearse Street.... The list goes on and on. There's also plenty of decent places on the northside (Beumont, Drumcondra, Santry, Bayside, Howth...).

There are an awful lot of people from outside and even inside Dublin that think once you're a northsider you are most likely not as well off as the average southsider. Even your man Jeremey on the FM104 phone show give Northsiders stick. I'm actually a southsider myself but it must be annoying to talk to someone from the country and once you're a northsider they automatically think you're less well off (it does happen).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭I am MAN

But generally more scumbags come from the northside and stuck up pricks from the southside, from what i've seen this is the case.

Northsider by the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

eirebhoy wrote:
    ....it must be annoying to talk to someone from the country and once you're a northsider they automatically think you're less well off (it does happen).

Isn't it a generalisation to assume that country people aren't clued in enough to know what's what, while at the same time presume they are as judgemental as you seem to think city people are?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

impr0v wrote:
    Isn't it a generalisation to assume that country people aren't clued in enough to know what's what, while at the same time presume they are as judgemental as you seem to think city people are?

Roight! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

eirebhoy wrote:
    Places on the southside that certainly couldn't be regarded as posh: Tallagh (Jobstown, etc.), Clondalkin (Neilstown, Bawnogue), Ballyfermot, Crumlin, Drimnagh, Palmerstown, Inchicore, Dolphin's Barn, The Coombe, James Street, Pearse Street

Not sure if you missed it, but most of these were disowned by Southsiders years ago, when they were renamed West Dublin.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

*yawn*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

impr0v wrote:
    I didn't say everyone from the country was like this. From the sentence you quoted I could be talking about one single person in the whole of Ireland.

Anyway, I regret opening this thread for some reason. :(

I'll rephrase it if you like:
    "....it must be annoying to talk to Alex from the country and once you're a northsider he automatically thinks you're less well off."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

So what's the problem with the generalisation if only Alex is confused?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

eirebhoy wrote:
    "....it must be annoying to talk to Alex from the country and once you're a northsider he automatically thinks you're less well off."

Everyone down here is called Mick, Paddy or Seamus. Alex is obviously a Southsider with a second home in the country, hence the attitude to Northsiders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Spalk0

Are we talking Northsiders or North county?Because i wouldnt say were well off at all really anyways!Mind you i dont like the generalisation either!I am in the north county and i see a lot less scumbags than i would in the city really!And is anyone forgetting Malahide?would be regarded north Dublin and its the richest part of Dublin!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

well, im a southsider, and i dont dislike the northside.
    lived there for many a year, studied in DCU.

i just dislike ignorant people, and you get those in all walks of life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭landser

eirebhoy wrote:
    I didn't say everyone from the country was like this. ."

the use of the word "country" is a bit daft in itself... cork, belfast or limerick are hardly virigin fields.... by country i presume you mean outside of the dublin city limits? what a typical thing for a dub to say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

I dunno if there is such thing as an ignorant person, we all just have varying degrees of ignorance. People with large amounts of ignorance get on my nerves, especially if they happen to be Xenophobic. And they exist in D4 as they do in Mulhuddar.t

I would regard myself as a typical south-sider. I NEVER go northside (unless I have to go to UGC.) I had to go to Grangegorman the other day, and I thought it was in Kildare!! Hoho, amusing. But really, the filth of the northside, the smell in the country, Why oh why would you leave the twin towers of Grafton St? (BT & BT2)
    I mean what would my daddy think? :D

If any one takes my last post seriously, you need your head examined...Btw :D :rolleyes: :D

Papa Smut wrote:
    I would regard myself as a typical south-sider. I NEVER go northside (unless I have to go to UGC.) I had to go to Grangegorman the other day, and I thought it was in Kildare!! Hoho, amusing. But really, the filth of the northside, the smell in the country, Why oh why would you leave the twin towers of Grafton St? (BT & BT2)
    I mean what would my daddy think? :D

Hmm Dublin 8.....thats around inchicore right!ehhhhh DUMP!!! :D:p

Trigger! wrote:
    Hmm Dublin 8.....thats around inchicore right!ehhhhh DUMP!!! :D:p

LOL Heehee, not quite old boy! :D

Well i could say Likewise, old chap! :p:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Trigger! wrote:
    Well i could say Likewise, old chap! :p:D
    Have you some sort of avatar chaging machine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

There is no denying that the majority of the southside is far better kept and generally more pleasent to spend time in..

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    Have you some sort of avatar chaging machine?

Your the second person to ask me that!.....No i just get bored of my avatars and signature every so often and change it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

There is no denying that the majority of the southside is far better kept and generally more pleasent to spend time in..

I'll deny it!

sprinkles wrote:
    I'll deny it!

And i'll second that!

Have you actually been everywhere in the northen hemisphere of Dublin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Yeah, when its winter on the southside, its warm and sunny up here on the north side.

(Puts feet up and takes out another cool beer)

There's a nice little posh place on the northside called castleknock, then there's howth, malahide etc..........

Not that there's anything wrong with "Da Blanch" (aka castleknock), or indeed Finglas.

Yeah, when its winter on the southside, its warm and sunny up here on the north side.

(Puts feet up and takes out another cool beer)

LOL :D:D

hear hear :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭adjodlo

The southside has just as many, if not more crap areas than the northside. I gaurantee that my house is worth far more than 90% of anyone who has the attitude that the northside is full of knackers. I'm not saying it isn't, but so is the southside.

Most of these "Oh the southside is sooo kewl" people live so far away from the city center that they're practically boggers, living in cheapo estates with loads of other pretentious fúckers who need to cling onto that old southside cliché.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭positron

I guess with sh*t load of new house owners fearing a (very) remotely possible risk of their investment going down the drain (bad market, less demand or skangers making a Kabul of your estate) are just going around talking big about their area, calling everything SouthSide, or Castleknock etc, me thinks they are all just afraid! Well, rightfully so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Trigger! wrote:
    And is anyone forgetting Malahide?would be regarded north Dublin and its the richest part of Dublin!

Eh, hello... are you like totally... like... Dalkey, Roysh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭adjodlo

Where'd this whole notion of Castleknock being posh come from. Agreed it's a nice area, but you can spot an arsehole from a mile away if they claim to be from castleknock and consider it posh.
    Have any of you ever even BEEN in castleknock?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

You can section Dublin of into 3 areas now...Northside,Southside and Westside.TH west of the city is huge and cannot be called part of the North/SouthSide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I live in the southside meself but I REFUSE to be catagorised into ANY stereotype. I live in Ranelagh which is close to the city centre and It would take a lot to make me move to a Foxrock mansion.

I also wear dubes, they are comfortable and can just be thrown on.

I speak with a pretty neutral accent but with a touch of dortspeak, I'd say this is the influence of my school where 80% of the people are pretentious dortspeakers.

I notice people tend to judge you when they see what school you are in. If they are in rival hockey/rugby schools they can feel obliged to hate you.

Sad Really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Went to school in D2 when I was a kid and was born on the southside near the Dart zone. I have always believed in never judging people by where they live. I have seen some people with chips on their shoulders because of where they were brought up - my first love lived in Clondalkin and he was always going on about how disadvantaged he was as a kid - rubbish - you make of life what you can - he did far better than I did in the end (has the job I want). On the other end of the scale I dated a guy who lived in Kilarney - he was petrified when he accompanied me to DCU as it was on the nothside...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

I live in the southside meself but I REFUSE to be catagorised into ANY stereotype. I live in Ranelagh which is close to the city centre and It would take a lot to make me move to a Foxrock mansion.

I speak with a pretty neutral accent but with a touch of dortspeak, I'd say this is the influence of my school where 80% of the people are pretentious dortspeakers.

I notice people tend to judge you when they see what school you are in. If they are in rival hockey/rugby schools they can feel obliged to hate you.

Sad Really.

Our school didnt have a rugby or a hockey team, it was still a good school though. on da nortside of dublin.

generalisations suck. speaking as someone who has seen the phrase "stab city" more than once on these boards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Trigger! wrote:
    And i'll second that!

Have you actually been everywhere in the northen hemisphere of Dublin?
    Yes I have as it happens.. Have been in pretty much every part of the northside in the past year.. I work and live on the southside but my work brings me over to Coolock/Clonshaugh, Contarf/Fairview and the City Centre. Am also originally from near the border so have to go through the northside everytime I want to go home..

The northside is pretty much a dump except for Sutton, Howth and Clontarf..

Southside has Foxrock, Leopardstown, Blackrock, Booterstown, Donnybrook, Ballsbridge, Cabinteely, Ranelagh, Rathmines...... Want to continue?

I personally dont care which is nicer but face up to the truth of it..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭irldavem

I'm actually a southsider myself but it must be annoying to talk to someone from the country and once you're a northsider they automatically think you're less well off (it does happen).

As long as the majority of people from Dublin call anyone not from Dublin a culchie or wellie warrior or some other name like that, the generalisationing of Dublin folk by "country" folk will continue, methinks.

It would be a good idea for the capital to set the example.

Political correctness gone mad!!!
    Mad i tell ya!

1. North Dublin people ARE scumbags.
    2. South Dublin people ARE stuck-up, cravat-wearing mummies-boys.
    3. Irish people outside of Dublin ARE all farmers, who get easily dazzled by the bright lights of the city.
    4. Limerick is a place to go if you want to die.
    5. The French are spineless, cheese eating, arrogant ****.
    6. The British are tea-drinking, sexually repressed, inbred aristocrats.
    7. Americans are intellectually deficient, bible-wielding zealots.
    8. Nigerians are con-artists of one form or other.

Doesn't that feel better?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    5. The French are spineless, cheese eating, arrogant ****.

I think you'll find they prefer to be known as Cheese Eating Surrender Monkeys....pfft, at least get your generalisations right :D

RuggieBear wrote:
    I think you'll find they prefer to be known as Cheese Eating Surrender Monkeys....pfft, at least get your generalisations right :D
    That's one of them "intellectually deficient, bible-wielding zealots" expressions. Being a "farmer, who gets easily dazzled by the bright lights of the city" I like to distance myself somewhat from their terms. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

I live in the southside meself but I REFUSE to be catagorised into ANY stereotype. I live in Ranelagh which is close to the city centre and It would take a lot to make me move to a Foxrock mansion..
    Hmmm I sincerely doubt if you offered a big gaf for old one you'd take it!
    But i guess we can always pretend to believe ya.
    This is where your argument loses any sense it had, you know they call them deck shoes for a reason! There designed for when your out on your triple deck yacht. ain't many of them in castle knock.

Altho I don't like it there are generally 3 main classes of people in Dublin -

1 - Protestant ascendancy class planter - the name say's it all! these make up the majority of west-brits, and are usually found in south east dublin, they generally only fraternize with own class and will rarely go out of there way to help others, A prime example is Sean Mackey.

2 - Country folk - Often referred to as "fenian rabble", since the advent of the motorised vehicle they come to the city. in there droves, in order to make a better life for themselves by working in the houses/workplace of the gentry, They are a friendly bunch who are known to enjoy a night of banter and drink with men of all creeds.As a highly political bunch and naturally clash with the unionist gentry, however as of late tension has eased between the groups, for further info & pictures >>here

3 - Peasants - This is a term used to sum up the remainder of the dublin population, they spend there days maintaining the lives of others in order to make a few coppers for food etc. Alcoholisim is rife among this breed and they are commonly found brawling over trivial concerns. The ultimate life goal is to save enough coppers in order to by a ferry ticket to America, there they can start a new life and rise above their station.
    With the recent influx of money into the country this group has undergone a period of economic boom, however this is also matched with the growing threat of workplace competition with chinese/ far eastern peasants.
    The journey to the Americas if quite troublesome
    Peasents are noted in society fo there low-grade of food
    Common peasant stylings

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

I dont think the north southside thing applies to areas very close to the city centre. I grew up in Marino (nice enough), moved to blackpitts(bit dodgy) then to St Teresa's gardens (madness junkies calling to my door at 3am looking to scab a smoke) dolphins barn (next door's car was burnt out in the driveway constant garda presence) and now am in Inchicore (grand really except for the lawless land of st michaels behind it).

So there you go I've lived in some of the worst areas of the city and they are on the southside. I think overall generally the northside is rougher and has less money. But this is taking the _whole_ of the northside into account.

At the end of the day everywhere will have its good and its bad spots. And its kinda in material becuase Dublin is such a small city the areas arnt big enough to really keep the classes apart.

ChRoMe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

STOP!
    Stop this right now! I mean it now! All this all this southsider northsider this, and the southsider northsider that is doing nobody any good. Like you imagine that Dublin is the center of the world? It isn't you know!

Why can't people just learn to get along?

We can't all live in lovely Rathgar you know? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,254 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Southside has Foxrock, Leopardstown, Blackrock, Booterstown, Donnybrook, Ballsbridge, Cabinteely, Ranelagh, Rathmines...... Want to continue?

Do yourself a favour and spend an evening in Rathmines Village (maybe drop into the Swan Centre for a mugging, sorry, coffee) then come back here and then tell me how posh it is... :rolleyes:
    Or perhaps a gentle stroll through Nutgrove of a Saturday evening....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Am also originally from near the border so have to go through the northside everytime I want to go home..

How do you manage up there with all the bombs and shít going off?

maybe add Killester, Raheny, Bayside, Portmarnock, and Malahide. Way to keep the generalisations going Jesus_that_gre!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

adjodlo wrote:
    Where'd this whole notion of Castleknock being posh come from. Agreed it's a nice area, but you can spot an arsehole from a mile away if they claim to be from castleknock and consider it posh.
    Have any of you ever even BEEN in castleknock?

Dunno where your coming from with this mate.
    Castleknock is a very wealthy area, lots of money people there, all you need to do is stand outside Myo's and watch the mercs/bmws flashing by. Wealth is synonymous with poshness unfortunately. And I have met quite a few people from Castleknock who are extremely posh and very pompous.

Superman wrote:
    Hmmm I sincerely doubt if you offered a big gaf for old one you'd take it!
    But i guess we can always pretend to believe ya.

This is where your argument loses any sense it had, you know they call them deck shoes for a reason! There designed for when your out on your triple deck yacht. ain't many of them in castle knock.

Altho I don't like it there are generally 3 main classes of people in Dublin -

1 - Protestant ascendancy class planter - the name say's it all! these make up the majority of west-brits, and are usually found in south east dublin, they generally only fraternize with own class and will rarely go out of there way to help others, A prime example is Sean Mackey.

2 - Country folk - Often referred to as "fenian rabble", since the advent of the motorised vehicle they come to the city. in there droves, in order to make a better life for themselves by working in the houses/workplace of the gentry, They are a friendly bunch who are known to enjoy a night of banter and drink with men of all creeds.As a highly political bunch and naturally clash with the unionist gentry, however as of late tension has eased between the groups, for further info & pictures >>here

3 - Peasants - This is a term used to sum up the remainder of the dublin population, they spend there days maintaining the lives of others in order to make a few coppers for food etc. Alcoholisim is rife among this breed and they are commonly found brawling over trivial concerns. The ultimate life goal is to save enough coppers in order to by a ferry ticket to America, there they can start a new life and rise above their station.
    With the recent influx of money into the country this group has undergone a period of economic boom, however this is also matched with the growing threat of workplace competition with chinese/ far eastern peasants.
    The journey to the Americas if quite troublesome
    Peasents are noted in society fo there low-grade of food
    Common peasant stylings

I have seen a lot of bullsh1t on boards but this guy takes the ultimate crown of uber @rsehole. Seeing as I am neither Protestant ascendancy class planter or Country folk, by process of elimination I am a peasant according to your generalisation.

Add complete @rseholes to that list and appoint yourself as the leader of the tribe, d1ckhead.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

The northside is pretty much a dump except for Sutton, Howth and Clontarf...
    Cheek. There are lots of nice places on the Nside besides those (and I grew up in Sutton so it's not like I'm defending home turf). Raheny (ever take a trip down the Howth Road?) has some lovely spots, as does Bayside, Portmarnock, and Malahide. Hell, recently, Malahide came out as having the largest % of ABC1 citzen (high class professionals) of any town *in Ireland*.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Keyzer wrote:
    I have seen a lot of bullsh1t on boards but this guy takes the ultimate crown of uber @rsehole. Seeing as I am neither Protestant ascendancy class planter or Country folk, by process of elimination I am a peasant according to your generalisation.

Add complete @rseholes to that list and appoint yourself as the leader of the tribe, d1ckhead.

You're the bigger fool for taking him, or even this thread seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Pinkchick03

I am not from Dublin and don't get what the big deal is with the north and south side conflict. You are all part of the one county, one side isn't better/more posh/ nicer or more safe than the other side. As far as I am concerned County Dublin in County Dublin!! Sure everyone in each county in Ireland could start debating that one part is better than the other. Like for instance in Co. Louth people could say Dundalk is better than Drogheda ( I don't think that - that is just an example) but rivalry/conflict exists in all counties. Just everyone outside the capital learns to deal with it! ;):D

Yes I have as it happens.. Have been in pretty much every part of the northside in the past year.. I work and live on the southside but my work brings me over to Coolock/Clonshaugh, Contarf/Fairview and the City Centre. Am also originally from near the border so have to go through the northside everytime I want to go home..

Whereabouts near the border are you from?

Your list off all the lovely places in south dublin is correct but whatabout all the sh1tholes too? Dublin has always been divided by the liffey, thus rendering the "west" dublin dumps listed as southside. I'm not generalising the people btw just the areas.

The northside has many lovely areas as well, many of which have already been listed so I'm not going to repeat it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement