Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parachuting in Ireland

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭bog_savage

So you want to learn to skydive and earn your A licence ?
    Your options are

AFF : currently €1080 in the Irish parachute club for the 7 levels ,
    You don't have to pay all up front , you can pay jump by jump .
    includes all instruction , membership for 1 year , gear rental and 7 one way flights to 13,000 feet ;p

Once you have completed AFF and are cleared to jump on your own ,
    you do 10 console jumps
    You will be supervised by an instructor but will be jumping solo , practicing what you learned during AFF and getting used to taking care of yourself .

Then a "hop & pop" from 4,000 and one from 2,500 . This is to practice low level exits and immediately opening the parachute . Incase you need to exit low if there is an aircraft problem of for the days when its cloudy and you need a fix :D

All jumps after you finish AFF are only €25 each from 13,000 and €12.50 up to 4,000( +15 for gear rental , and if you pack it after you get €7 back )

Static Line : currently €288 for instruction , membership for 1 year ,1 jump from 3,200 feet and gear rental . all jumps after cost €25 +€15gear rental I think ???
    Usually takes 25 jumps approx .
    Even though Static line takes more jumps to complete , the jumps are cheaper , and its a jump ! its fun !

* The person who does static line will have better canopy skills when they finish their course because they have 25jumps v 7jumps when finished AFF . Canopy skills will be the same when comparing same no of jumps !

* The static line progression will make you a more self reliant v the AFF graduate who always had an instructor beside him to save his ass !

* Aff graduates usually have better freefall skills because they had instructor right there in freefall to give instant correction .

* After 100 jumps most differences will have evened out between graduated from either system

* Doing a canopy course has nothing to do with how good you are now , its about how good you want to be . I have 1350 jumps and still do courses to improve my piloting .

The 6 jump course comes after you have learned to take care of yourself on solo jumps and is not a requirement for the A licence.
    Over the 6 jumps you learn how to safely fly with other people on multi-way jumps .

The requirements for A licence are ,

• 25 freefall jumps
    • 5 minutes of freefall time
    • Have made 5 formation skydives (FS) involving at least two participants, or have made 5 free-fly (FF) jumps, either option having been under the supervision of an Instructor
    • Have demonstrated control of the body in all axes (back-loops, turns, barrel rolls, etc.)
    • Be able to pack a main parachute
    • Have demonstrated the ability to land a parachute within 50 metres of a target, on at least 10 jumps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭AkiThePirate

Thanks a million for the info, guys.

I'll almost certainly signing up for an SL course once the days get a bit longer.
    Now to sort out transport. :P

re transport , try looking for a lift here

www.irishskydivers.com/forums/

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Fredrik

I was thinking of doing an AFF course in IPC, but realized, only transport there and back would probably double the cost if I go by myself. Is there anyone from Cork that goes to the IPC drop zone regularly? I have a car, but going by myself seem a waste of good money that can be used for more jumps :)

ps. that forum in last reply doesnt have much of activites on it (im not gonna go to portugal :))

• Advertisement

There are a bunch who come up from cork regularly .
    The Irishskydivers website is a little quiet at the moment

You could also try posting on http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150121627084460&set=at.10150121283274460.321435.630319459.630319459&ref=nf#!/TheIrishParachuteClub

or the guys at University of Limerick Skydiving Club , I know there are a few Corkonians come up from there

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=487458161237&set=a.487458086237.264662.622261237&ref=nf#!/pages/Skydive-UL/135071881357

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Fredrik

Great, thanks for the links. The IPC facebook was a fairly obvious place to post in, not sure why I didn't think of that one.

actually this might be even better :o

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000427441938

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭jimmurt

Does anyone know if there are people who travel to the IPC from Kilkenny/Waterford area? I completed the AFF course abroad recently and want to do the 6 jump course.

Advertisement