Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BoardsWiki

Options
  • 24-11-2004 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭

Ladies and gentlemen -

We are proud to announce the BoardsWiki, a WikiWikiWeb for users of boards.ie:

http://www.boards.ie/wiki/

Hope you will enjoy, and put it to some proper use. Please let us know of any snags - we are using the MediaWiki system (as on Wikipedia).

Also, if you double click on any word in the forums, it should bring you to an appropriate wiki page (if it exists).

As a test, try double clicking on -> DeVore

Thanks,

John.
    --
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Is that the only entry in it at the moment?

Edit: Woah, I noticed this after 6 minutes....Hurrah for random double clicking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

sorry for my igorance but whats a wiki?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

ow ow ow!! all of you stop double clicking me!

Er, this is so cool I think a little pee came out.

Anyway, hopefully people will fill it with Boards Love and explanations of our own little culture here...

DeV.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

ps: I've nicknamed it Biki for short.

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

\:d/ \:d/ Whoot! \:d/ \:d/

P.s. Is there any chance we can turn off the caps being turned off when posting? I know it's there to stop newbies posting in caps but all it does is Make Them Post As If The Forces Of Evil Are Intervening.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

i've decided you like cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Snazzy. Double-clickage doesn't work in Opera though. We have the joy of a context menu instead.

And I've decided he doesnt like cake

I meant pie

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

any way of turning it off?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

/me edits stuff.

Well.... my work is done!

And already we have morons messing with it. I've corrected the mess made of Cloud and DeVore's entries. Bad rep going out to Mr Angry and quarryman.

I've also got a load of stuff written up for an encyclopedia I was writing for boards (but had nothing to upload to until now). How do we create new articles? On wikipedia you just search and if it doesn't find it it asks you do you want to create it. Or am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

oh no...oh.. i don't like this one bit

i double click stuff randomly as i read... not really sure why, but i do. this is seriously off-pissing. is there an off switch? =(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

The double click word thing is very annoying. Particularly for those of us who have the odd browsing habbit of highlighting things occasionally when they are reading stuff....

Very annoying having random popups.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

lol, bit of a funny

pam wrote:
    And already we have morons messing with it. I've corrected the mess made of Cloud and DeVore's entries. Bad rep going out to Mr Angry and quarryman.

I've also got a load of stuff written up for an encyclopedia I was writing for boards (but had nothing to upload to until now). How do we create new articles? On wikipedia you just search and if it doesn't find it it asks you do you want to create it. Or am I missing something?

so what can we change then?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

Yes I always double-click and highlight stuff as I'm reading it.

Even though the Biki is a great idea, can we turn off double-clickage in our preferences somehow?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

I dunno.. all these buzzwords and buzzwebs, it makes no sense half of the new stuff that people come up with..

What exactly is the point of this wiki? I've read the explanation but it still makes no sense... there is no practical use for this type of web app..

It just seems like a waste of space that will only encourage tom-foolery and muppetry, which there seems to be enough of on boards already :rolleyes:

quarryman wrote:
    so what can we change then?
    Cloud wrote:
    Hope you will enjoy, and put it to some proper use.

(My emphasis)

It's an encyclopedia about boards.ie which will hopefully become an extensive guide to things specific to boards.ie.

Personally I plan on writing about in-jokes like Atari Jaguar, cake, and things that will help newbies understand boards culture.

:) cool.

should be good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

So, do we all get to write boards bios? That would be... interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i really don't like this idea really cos say if you want to multiple quote in a reply i usually scroll down from the message box and doubleclick on the line i want to quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

I'm sure we will all learn to love it...remember all the harumphs when Boards moved to Vb 3 :D

I think its great...especially if it explains some of the in-jokes for us newbies....Kitten cakes, jeffy the kitten wtf?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Wonderful addition. Nice one Cloudie! :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Very cool! I like the double clickage, I can see it coming in very handy... although it would be nice to have the option to switch it on or off... I can also see it becoming very annoying :D

Hopefully there won't be any messing on it and it'll be a useful resource, would it be fair to assume that boards.ie rules apply on the wiki too?

flogen

Ah ffs, people are already muppeting about

Someone (81.111.83.118) went in and erased the contents of the community portal

hurrah for the history

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Don't understand this double-click business. Is it an IE-only feature?

Wiki is designed to be messed about by muppets. It takes one click to return it to its previous state and then each page/explanation can be locked when its as near perfect as we can get it.

I too double click stuff randomly when reading (no idea why either!) so I'll ask cloud about a possible off switch etc. It would make a great FAQ for new users too...

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Raphael wrote:
    Ah ffs, people are already muppeting about

Someone (81.111.83.118) went in and erased the contents of the community portal

hurrah for the history

Yeah that's a pitty, I think we were doing quite well with the whole random spam idea :p
    tbh when I saw it gone I just assumed it was someone cleaning up the crap

Advertisement