Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BoardsWiki

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

ahhh, square-bracket link space name square-bracket, who would've thinked it?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

nice work pickarooney!!
    rep on recharge! :D

I see you added your own little bit! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

I didnt realise you could edit others until a coupe of minutes ago..

/me whistles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

Beruthiel wrote:
    nice work pickarooney!!
    rep on recharge! :D

I see you added your own little bit! :p

I didn't actually fix it, I waited till someone else did and then looked at how.
    I think there's a quote about wise men learning from mistakes of others :D

• Advertisement

I didn't actually fix it, I waited till someone else did and then looked at how

really?
    a kind stranger then,
    tell me who you are mr. stranger, and I'll rep you too....

Officer Hardass.

Winters wrote:
    Officer Hardass.

was it you who added that bit winters?
    enquiring minds want to know....

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Added more to [wiki]boards beer[/wiki].

In my research I found that we have already had ten boards beers. I don't think anyone expected that...

Beruthiel wrote:

Yes. Please dont kill me :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Beruthiel wrote:
    I changed it. Mentioned on post #60 above!

/edit Not the officer hardass bit but the fücked up links

Winters wrote:
    Yes. Please dont kill me :(

I'll let you know my decision tomorrow at the pissup....
    you are coming, aren't you? :evil smiley:*

*we need one of those!

I do plan to come and enjoy some beer with the nerds.

Imposter wrote:
    I changed it. Mentioned on post #60 above!

merci buckets Mr. Imposter :D
    excuse my blindness
    old age you know.... :o

rep on recharge :D

I do plan to come and enjoy some beer with the nerds.

eeggcellent stuff
    I look forward to giving you my decision there then....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

I'll go make a page about me when i'm bored later

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

I did me a few hours ago, although its not very inspired.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Added bits for [wiki]Atari Jaguar[/wiki] and [wiki]poll[/wiki].

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Great idea, any way you could maybe use a shift-click (instead of a doubleclick) or something to allow all words to be accessible as opposed to just those that the poster knew how to use the Wikipedia for?

Can someone give me an example of one of these non-links that produce pop-ups (using Firefox now).?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Can someone give me an example of one of these non-links that produce pop-ups (using Firefox now).?
    They're gone for the moment.
    It was that any word you double clicked on brought you to a Biki page searching for that work.

• Advertisement

Sleepy wrote:
    Great idea, any way you could maybe use a shift-click (instead of a doubleclick) or something to allow all words to be accessible as opposed to just those that the poster knew how to use the Wikipedia for?
    The double-click javascript thing basically exploited the fact that when you double-clicked on a word, the browser selected that word. Then the javascript kicked in, took the contents of the currently selected text, and opened up the wiki page about that word.

Since shift-click doesn't select the word, afaik, there's no way for javascript to tell what word you're trying to click on.

In most browsers, Shift-Click will select a big chunk of text, and Ctrl-Click will select a whole paragraph.

In firefox, I just found out that shift-DoubleClick actually deletes the paragraph from view, which is annoying when you do it by accident, but will no doubt come in handy at some point.

So unless it's possible to add options to the user's context menu using Javascript, I don't think that would be possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Pity, I think it severely limits the opportunities for the [wiki]wiki[/wiki] by having to rely on posters to tag the words that can be wikied...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Sleepy wrote:
    Pity, I think it severely limits the opportunities for the [wiki]wiki[/wiki] by having to rely on posters to tag the words that can be wikied...
    A good idea will always catch on ;)

Actually Cloud, here's a thought:
    You know when you click on someone's username, it gives you a little menu of operations. How about if that person's username, or user:username has been defined in the wiki, then you add a "Read <username>'s Biki entry" or somesuch?

Even just put it there for everyone, to encourage people to write their own Biki profiles...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Maybe [w] instead? or [?]

I did some of the [wiki]gathering[/wiki] cards now. Will fill out the rest I recall when I have time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

Being an avid reader of wikipedia for several months, I heartily endorse this encyclopedia addition to boards. I know it's in it's infancy but hopefully with time and effort it should be a reasonably exhaustive description of boards.

I've already started my addition to Politics.

I do however feel that a pretty stringent standard should be maintained. Articles should be relevant and written in the third person. This is especially true of biographies. It should be non-partisan and unbiased, even though this may not always be possible.

Read please, before editing/creating articles.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I don't like writing about myself in the third person. It makes me feel like Liam Lawlor.

I do however feel that a pretty stringent standard should be maintained. Articles should be relevant and written in the third person. This is especially true of biographies. It should be non-partisan and unbiased, even though this may not always be possible.
    I would agree fairly stringent, but not as much as wikipedia. Certainly, articles should be written in the third person, and a similar policy of formatting, linking, etc should be applied, but there should also be leeway for a certain amount of humour, sarcasm and wit in the articles. There's no need to be 100% factual and NPOV like wikipedia aspires to.
    Read please, before editing/creating articles.
    Yes....in fact I think we should mirror the tutorial here. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

daveirl wrote:

Who cares.

just do..

#REDIRECT User:Evil_Phil

for Evil Phil.

Advertisement