Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BoardsWiki

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

daveirl wrote:
    This post has been deleted.
    I recommend the former. Not all boards members are wiki users, and since the wiki is about boards, it would make sense to refer to them as such.
    seamus wrote:
    I would agree fairly stringent, but not as much as wikipedia.
    Perhaps not, especially for the less prosaic aspects of board (the Cuckoos nest perhaps being the archetypical example). However, being too flippant can lead to ambiguity or confusion, which is the opposite of what this resource is trying to achieve.
    pam wrote:
    Liam Lawlor
    I see your point, but I don't expect to see an entry for Bill Clinton on wikipedia saying "I did not have sexual relations with that woman." I just think it's a more appropriate convention.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

swiss wrote:
    I recommend the former. Not all boards members are wiki users, and since the wiki is about boards, it would make sense to refer to them as such.
    I reckon Cloud should hack the Wiki so that the Wiki user system runs off the vBulletin User DB.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭doh.ie

Winters wrote:
    The double click word thing is very annoying. Particularly for those of us who have the odd browsing habbit of highlighting things occasionally when they are reading stuff....

Very annoying having random popups.

I'm one of those random clickers/highlighting as I read as well.
    Wiki was active on my laptop at home last night, but seem to no longer be one. Wonder if that's an IE version thing (they're slightly different versions of 6). My preference would be for it to be optional as a click-thing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Hobbes wrote:
    Who cares.

just do..

#REDIRECT User:Evil_Phil

for Evil Phil.
    We've had users who exceed mere functional bios though, and who have been famous, or infamous, in their own right. Par is a (poor) example.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

seamus wrote:
    I reckon Cloud should hack the Wiki so that the Wiki user system runs off the vBulletin User DB.

Yikes! Maybe, but for now I've added "View Wiki Article" in each user's drop down menu. Try clicking on seamus' name beside his post to see it.

• Advertisement

We've had users who exceed mere functional bios though, and who have been famous, or infamous, in their own right. Par is a (poor) example.
    I think a user's measure of "fame" isn't necessarily in whether they deserve a wiki article, more how many articles they are linked from.
    Cloud wrote:
    Yikes! Maybe, but for now I've added "View Wiki Article" in each user's drop down menu. Try clicking on seamus' name beside his post to see it.
    \o/

Nice one Cloud

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Cloud wrote:

that's class cloudie :D

Yet another feature works flawlessly first time out.

How long can it last? :)

Edit: Whats the proper syntax for a redirect? Do you have to preceed "#REDIRECT" with any kind of tag?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

how long before its abused with people entering nasty things about people they dont like

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

:confused: Still don't get it, :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Jesus tipptop, you're kidding with that signature right? 700KB??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

And animated to boot

mr_angry wrote:
    Yet another feature works flawlessly first time out.

How long can it last? :)

Edit: Whats the proper syntax for a redirect? Do you have to preceed "#REDIRECT" with any kind of tag?

Just
    #REDIRECT correct article

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

tuxy wrote:
    how long before its abused with people entering nasty things about people they dont like

I couldn't resist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

impr0v wrote:
    I couldn't resist

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Bye Bye Tipptopp :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

I've posted some info on [wiki]ICDG[/wiki] and [wiki]North East[/wiki] ... (I get a lot of questions asking WTF is ICDG? Now, you know! :D) I shall expand the info soon, as can the Wanderly Wagon... it needs a huge synopsis page all of its own!
    And Johnny_the_fox has added some info about the [wiki]North[/wiki] Forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Ok.. can I just ask one question...

What is the defined way you want a user to appear? With a "User:xxxxx" prefix or without?

I see Gandalf has two... [wiki]Gandalf[/wiki] and [wiki]User:Gandalf[/wiki]
    Whereas Amp/Pam has one (or two)... [wiki]Amp[/wiki] (Or [wiki]Pam[/wiki])

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

DMC wrote:
    (I get a lot of questions asking WTF is ICDG? Now, you know! :D) .

I know were it is and its moderated by the same guys that looked after the Ukraine general election. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

DMC wrote:
    And Johnny_the_fox has added some info about the [wiki]North[/wiki] Forum.

and I put a bit of info on the [wiki]Region[/wiki] thingy - maybe someone with better queens english - could clean it up.

p.s. thanks Seamus for the redirects - i was trying to figure that out :)

<edit>P.s.s - where do boards stand - if people abuse it just for the record? </edit>

• Advertisement

and I put a bit of info on the [wiki]Region[/wiki] thingy - maybe someone with better queens english - could clean it up.
    Actually, I came up with a kind of standard for the categories, e.g. [wiki]Comp[/wiki]. Takes a little while, but I think it looks clean. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Ok I am done for a while now. :D:D

I have fully completed the [wiki]gathering[/wiki] section along with the backstory to the cards (had to research some like [wiki]Nas[/wiki] and [wiki]Glenstal[/wiki]).

Also put in the [wiki]in jokes[/wiki] I know of although someone needs to review them as I am not 100% sure on the history of say [wiki]Kitten Cake[/wiki] and the [wiki]Boards Ninjas[/wiki]

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

<edit>P.s.s - where do boards stand - if people abuse it just for the record? </edit>

If people are ruining the fun of our new toy then boards will stand on their testicles.

ecksor wrote:
    If people are ruining the fun of our new toy then boards will stand on their testicles.

So they are safe then if they are a gurl? :D

This wiki is great.. I am actually learning more about the history of boards that even I didn't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

seamus wrote:
    Actually, I came up with a kind of standard for the categories, e.g. Comp. Takes a little while, but I think it looks clean
    excellent!! :D
    ecksor wrote:

what about the females? isnt that sexist...

Hobbes wrote:
    Ok I am done for a while now. :D:D

I have fully completed the [wiki]gathering[/wiki] section along with the backstory to the cards (had to research some like [wiki]Nas[/wiki] and [wiki]Glenstal[/wiki]).

Did you add the ones on the Photoshoppage thread?

mr_angry wrote:
    Did you add the ones on the Photoshoppage thread?

I started to, but there are bloody millions of them and there is already a link in the wiki to the thread for people to read.

Also while I referenced Bubbles, I didn't write anything up about him. Hes worth two pages of stuff in what he got up to on boards.

Hobbes wrote:
    So they are safe then if they are a gurl? :D
    Don't be silly.

Girls don't know how to use computers.

I think every Mod shoudl do a write up of his or her forum(s). If only to stop tempting me from click all those bloody red links and writing something... :/

Learning a lot though. www.archive.org and Google have been my best friends today.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

I am both shocked and appalled that you didn't add the ones from Photoshoppage, Hobbes.

Now I have to do it myself, and I am incredibly lazy, look what you've done! >:|

Well, look in a few hours/days...

• Advertisement

CuLT wrote:
    I am both shocked and appalled that you didn't add the ones from Photoshoppage, Hobbes.

Now I have to do it myself, and I am incredibly lazy, look what you've done! >:|

Well, look in a few hours/days...

Put them in a seperate list below the main list.. like

==Other cards==
    ...etc,

Advertisement